Honda CBR XX Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I "doubt" it just reading quickly.

Looks like it is setup for car engines. Although there is a version for 2 coil "wasted spark" engines which the Bird is, I am not seeing a motorcycle specific version. The major problem is that car engines measure the air-flow to get the fuel map (Speed density), whereas Motorcycles look at the throttle position sensor (Alpha N) to get a faster response on a smaller engine.

Would be a nice idea for us though.
Forgive my ignorance on this- and feel free to rip this apart, would rather you did if I'm over simplyfying- is it not possible to somehow program the input to respond as we would require for response? (ducks below wall)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Forgive my ignorance on this- and feel free to rip this apart, would rather you did if I'm over simplyfying- is it not possible to somehow program the input to respond as we would require for response? (ducks below wall)
No need for ripping, and it's getting pretty technical. It's also a field I left 15 years ago.

Perhaps the over simple way to explain it is like a screw in versus bayonet fitting light bulb. It's a light bulb yes, the filament looks the same and the light output looks the same but good luck putting one in the socket meant for the other.

In this case the whole philosophy of this thing is different to the way Blackbird FI works. in typical car systems, the TPS just isn't the same between (most) cars and bikes and also the airflow sensor (most common being a MAP sensor) is not the same between (most) cars and bike.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Forgive my ignorance as well but isn't that microsquirt purely for running the engine as a hillclimb car wont use indicators, side stand etc etc. Therefore it wouldn't work on a bike. I think (also ducking behind a wall) :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Forgive my ignorance as well but isn't that microsquirt purely for running the engine as a hillclimb car wont use indicators, side stand etc etc. Therefore it wouldn't work on a bike. I think (also ducking behind a wall) :rotfl:
All things other than ignition and fuelling related are or can be run independent of ecu- indicators ok already, sidestand cct could be put into a disable fairly easily, fan is off later ecu, earlier had a thermostat on rad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Update. I put the bike on a dyno, the first run with the fi light on, 138 rwhp, the a second run, with fi light off, clearing the code and going fast straight to 7000 rpm and over (ks-ecm sense between 3k and 6k) and...138 rwhp!!, the tuner said to my that could be a phantom code, I really did not see any difference in consumption nor black exhaust, running M113-02 PCIII Map (Erion Slip On).
Bike idles the same with or without the code....Seems that there are 3 different behaviors of code 25 1) rough runing, pre 2000 bikes: wire harness 2) post 2000 with poor millage and rough running 3) code 25 with the bike running normal . Weird.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts