Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm fairly new to to blackbird ownership, i bought a 2007 a few months ago love it.:)
Went for a short ride today, all was good. Parked it for an hour and started the beast to ride home, noticed the FI light stayed on all the way home, stopped and started bike, but FI light persists to stay on.
I've been trolling this fantastic forum for clues, and found the page all about the test plug and codes. I bridged the wires on the test plug (went through the whole procedure as per the post), but whatever i do, as soon as i turn the key, the FI light stays on solid.:mad: Everything else functions, and the bike seams to ride fine.
Hope someone has some ideas to help out?
Damo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No code at all, solid FI light no matter what i do. And the ECU is held in place with the large rubber strap

·
Registered
443 Posts
Do all the cheap and easy stuff first. Go through the whole loom making sure all the connections, especially the earths, including the hidden loom plugs (just in case. Search loom fix), are all clean and tight. Confirm that 'voltage' and charge rate is normal. Compare fuel consumption with a similar 'normal' Blackbird ridden under similar conditions. See if you can borrow an ECU to compare. If there are no codes and the fuel consumption is higher, then it is likely a faulty ECU. If there are no detectable faults or issues apart from the light and you are happy with the performance then ride on! Check this one if you haven't already. http://www.cbrxx.com/engine-airbox-...code-25-ecu-issues-my-journey-resolution.html . With fuel consumption, don't forget other factors may apply like a faulty FPR or dirty/leaky injectors. Its a process of illumination bound by your experience and budget. There are a few of us who have been down the same road! Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Ausblackbird. I'll check over the loom shortly. I did check out your page (Fault Code 25 ECU issues, my journey and resolution
but thought i'd ask the question because i couldn't get any codes to show. What would be the ideal charge rate (14.5V from memory)?
And call me silly, but what is, and how do i check FPR?
Unfortunately i don't have any mates here in Melbourne with a blackbird that i could swap ECU's with, or compare fuel consumption, but i was getting around 260-280 a tank i think, i'll keep an eye on it now.
I'll let you know how i go, and many thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
12,696 Posts
Firstly welcome to the forum, shame it has to be with an 'issue'.

The solid light can be a sign that a sensor connection has failed/fallen off but usually you do get a code (some sort of flash).

but whatever i do, as soon as i turn the key, the FI light stays on solid
normally you expect the light to be solid for a few seconds (about the time it takes for the fuel pump to prime) and to then turn off ...... so my suspicion is that although the key is being recognised (you can proceed normally) the return signal to turn the light off is not present.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hey Westy,

how is does the bike ride otherwise. As per the thread Ausblackbird referred you to, does the bike have any other symptoms or is it running well? In particular is it running rich?

By "Westy" I assume you are in WA?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ah sorry, just read your other post ... Melbourne.

FPR is purely a mechanical device that sits on the end of the fuel injection rail. A diaphragm attached to inlet vacuum controls how much fuel is bled off back to the tank to regulate the fuel pressure.

Mostly when they die the bike runs very rich, surges a lot and smells of fuel, in particular there is a strong smell of fuel in the engine oil and this must be fixed immediately and the engine oil changed.

however with all this said, the FPR can't cause the FI light to come on at all, there is no sensor attached to it or anything like that.

they are one of the more commonly failing parts, but even so not terribly common. Takes about an hour to replace one if you haven't done it before.

14.5v is about the upper end of healthy, at idle it may not go much over 12.9v but with a few revs it should run around 14.1 - 14.5 with just low beam headlight and no fan running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that info Teef.au.
I started my bike to bring it inside to start work checking connectors and things, and the FI light went out after a few seconds (like normal).
So it took it for a spin and all seems great, but i'll be waiting for it to come on again lol.
Big thanks to you guys and everyone else for putting all this great information on this forum! Huge help!
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts