Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day folks.
Where can I get a fender extender for a 05' bird, in blue?
Also, are they worth it? I want to protect my radiator.
Many thanks,
Nathan

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,553 Posts
Just ordered one from jaws. But this black. Dont think there was colour choices of the pyramid one or the powerbronze (?) ones.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You can order direct from the maker pyramid plastics
But you rad fins are probably already crudded up so first remove it and clean the fins anf straighten those that got bent by impacts
Thrn the fender extender will protect your handy work
Your bike will run 4 to 5 deg cooler
If you do a good job cleaning it out
Paul

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can get any colour as longs as it is black ! Yes I have one , goes very nicely against the candy red and seems to do its job.
You have to remove the mud guard to fit them ( a little drilling is required ) just be careful with the bolts, ie give them a good squirt of penetrating oil before attempting to loosen.
Dead easy job.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.
You can order direct from the maker pyramid plastics
But you rad fins are probably already crudded up so first remove it and clean the fins anf straighten those that got bent by impacts
Thrn the fender extender will protect your handy work
Your bike will run 4 to 5 deg cooler
If you do a good job cleaning it out
Paul
Thank-you Paul. You've made me wonder about my radiator's condition. I did clean it with a hose a few months ago but I might need to do it again and a bit better. I only used a garden hose and let water flow through it from behind. Can I spray something into it to loosen the crud before washing it out. I'm sure removing it and soaking would be optimal but not really game to do it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get any colour as longs as it is black ! Yes I have one , goes very nicely against the candy red and seems to do its job.
You have to remove the mud guard to fit them ( a little drilling is required ) just be careful with the bolts, ie give them a good squirt of penetrating oil before attempting to loosen.
Dead easy job.
Sounds good...and simple, thanks. What bolts are you referring too when you mention penetrating oil? Do you mean the mud guard bolts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Nato, best way to clean the radiator is to remove it, easy job on an Effie and put it in the dishwasher. Assuming you have an understanding wife. 😅. Don't do what I did once. Put the oil cooler in as well, one of the silicone plugs I used to blank off the ports fell out and I'd stupidly put in upside down. Had a shock when I opened the door. Oil everywhere oops. Luckily I'm single so just bollacked myself.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I changed the final drive oil on one of my bikes and managed to spill some over my jeans, now we all know what gear box oil smells like !! Dumped the jeans outside my backdoor Mrs Bigmc sees them and puts them in with a wash load , well you can only imagine ........
I was in the dog house for days and the house smelled bad as did the clothes which had to be quadrupled washed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sounds good...and simple, thanks. What bolts are you referring too when you mention penetrating oil? Do you mean the mud guard bolts?
Yes, although mine came off easily. I gave them a good smothering of grease before refitting.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thank you.

Thank-you Paul. You've made me wonder about my radiator's condition. I did clean it with a hose a few months ago but I might need to do it again and a bit better. I only used a garden hose and let water flow through it from behind. Can I spray something into it to loosen the crud before washing it out. I'm sure removing it and soaking would be optimal but not really game to do it.
2 ways to do this
1 the complete way
Take off the rad and fan soak it in strong detergent like wheel cleaner for an hour them gently hose it on both sides using a stiff bristle brush vertically
You will be amazed at the muck that comes out
Flip over to do other side
This hold it up to sunlight and see where you can see light coming through this means the fins are clear
Where you cant see light usually the lower middle front is still blocked
Repeat the process again in that area
You can try a reverse flush with moderate pressure to help dislodge the remains..
Then
Let it dry fully in sunlight
Then front fscing down bonk it repeatedly on a hard surface to shake out all the grit embedded in the fins you will be surprised at the amount still there
Once thst is done use a mini jewelers screwdriver to straighten the bent fins in the process the rest of the grit will be dislodged
Now wire brush the end tanks and see how much paint and salts come away till bare metal
Then spray lightly black paint and let dry
To cover the fins properly you need to consecutively spray diagonally to cover the sides of the fins
Then you will have a rad thst is 90 to 95 pct as good as when it was fitted
You should do a light version of the cleaning about twice a season to stop it getting encrusted

2 light version
Do all the steps but dont remove it
The rear side acess will be very limited
Ive done this on 6 rads and they all came out well
A 7th had to be scrapped as the fins were too rotted and were falling off
Paul

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,922 Posts
If you spray Hydrogen Peroxide on it front and back let it sit for several minutes then flush. A lot of bugs and crap will co.e out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,922 Posts
XX, last time I used that stuff my hair went blonde and then it all fell out..
Lol... See, it's meant to clean out radiators!

Ah, about the fender extender. Out of 4 put on I never drill. I just get the best 3M double sided sticky tape and put it on the mating surface of the extender and press it on after cleaning both surfaces with a high quality alcohol meant for that use. Buy it from bodyshop supply houses. None have come off. My XX was doing 110 mph for 150 miles and the extender never moved. Also did a few short bursts higher and never moved. It's been on for 7 years and 21,000 or so miles too.

Ade... I don't want to know how you've used 3M tape to enhance yourself either!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: adeyren

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great ideas and advice men, cheers. Really like the double sided tape idea in particular. Hydrogen Peroxide....I think I'll stick with truck wash!
Thanks for every thing. It helps.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,553 Posts
Still waiting on mine. Out of england quick. The long part is sydney to melb.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the Pyramid Plastics front fender extender and the rear hugger in carbon fiber look alike plastic...... have had them on ever since new in 2005....... very happy with them. I doubt you can get them color matched without going to a painter so black or carbon fiber look is the go.

Ask at a bike shop...... they just may have a local supply contact or you may have to order over the net and wait for Auz Post to deliver....

(y)

PS They work great but mine works even better with a small extension lip I siliconed onto the tip of the fender extender. The wheel spray is directed onto the chin spoiler panel, not the radiator. Best installed with the front guard off, to get it nice and straight...... and look for any cracks around the 4 screw mounts....... another story, but I reinforced my guard and the crack has stayed tight for years.......:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Indeed the plastic expanding rivits can cause the fender to split very annoying .
:D.... cheers cbrpaul, My front guard is held on with shank type screws so as not to overstress and crack the guard, but a few years ago I found a long crack starting from one of the 4 mounting studs, up near the brake lines (after I noticed the guard flexing more than it should while cleaning and polishing)...... that was most likely due to the long length and extra weight of the front guard and our bumpy roads, as well as ageing plastic etc, so I made up an aluminium support brace and 'Plasti Bonded' it to the underneath of the guard (I also trickled supa-glue into the crack as best I could). It has worked well over the years and the guard is still firm.

I drilled and screwed my extenda fender in place, but the double sided tape that comes with the fender kit is just as effective. No cracking issues with my extender fender mounts..... or anywhere else touch wood :LOL:.

The small flexi 'tip' I added to the fender extender totally keeps the radiator out of the rooster tail spray.

(y)PS I've completed the coolant, plugs, airfilter job.... now to find a quiet time to tackle the brake and clutch fluids then my BB will be ready for action again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts