Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been around here much. Sold my beetle bags and corbin smuggler to buy accessories for the newer 2015 Mustang GT. Bought in Dec 2016.

I know the rush of power and speed gets a nod to the bird but I can't stop obsessing over the Mustang.

Amazingly suspension parts are super cheap on the car vs the bird. Even the tire and rims are relatively inexpensive.

Go fast parts... probably about the same maybe a little cheaper and readily available on the car all things considered.

I've owned a motorcycle my whole life almost but I just love this new car so much.

Admittedly I've never been a (ride all weekend) motorcyclist, just always pleased to own the machine and more of a hobbyist. I loved modifying bikes more than riding them perhaps.

Anyhow, this is probably more of a confession than anything. Anyone else found themselves in the same category at some point?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yea though out the years I've paid more attention to the play car than the bike. Even though I only put less than a thousand miles a year for several years on the bike. The car and bike finally got to the same level and I rode/drove both for fun. I guess the point I'm trying to make is I've always kept a bike. Glad I did!

The Mustang waning will eventually calm down, it may take a couple of years but it will drop after a while then you will need the bike for sanity reasons.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I only had a bike licence until I was 40. I had a midlife crisis and got a car licence so I could drive the Audi TT I bought for my wife. Cars have their place but I'm not selling the bike!

·
Registered
305 Posts
No, as I own both a 2002 XX, and a 2013 Mustang GT that I have just upgraded the OPG and crankshaft gears, exhaust, rear suspension, and driveshaft. It will then get a VMP supercharger. But, doesn't mean I love my XX any less.
3.jpg 20170526_152140.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good input, acknowledged. I'll just keep starting her up couple times a month till the romance is over. Wildman, what's a supercharger go for on that year, mine's looking like a min of 10k.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
What The Hell
Trading in your bike for a steering wheel , that will get you one of these :bonk:and a :spank: on your arse.
Anyway they are a awesome looking car , my workmate has one , and my workmate's a she.
Red of course around 60k here.

Reactions: deadman

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Oh dear, how many pedestrians have you taken out???? It's totally normal for me to do the same thing. I've had my 65 mustang since 2007, Occasionally I just get "the urge" to "play" with it and everything else, including my Birds fall by the wayside for a while. If it wasn't so dang loud and got more than 6-8mpg I play with it a LOT more lol a 12 gallon tank doesn't last very long :confused: My last urge put a TKO 5 speed, aluminum flywheel and a bunch of other goodies for it in the shed. By the time I located a set of pedals I'd moved onto another "urge".

I also get distracted by boats as well from time to time, mainly rebuilding older outboard Mercs. Just something about those old tilson carbs and magneto ignitions that takes me back to being young when working on things was more of an art form than degree in computer science. I still love my 76 "tower of power" with it's distributor ignition and the sound of that 150hp inline 6 two stroke has never been matched by anything I can think of.

·
Registered
144 Posts
<<Anyhow, this is probably more of a confession than anything.>>

I guess this forum is a good confessional, if we can help you feel better.
Must confess that I don't understand anyone preferring a car over a bike, but that's what makes a horse race - different horses.

Glad you're enjoying your new 'stang.
Life is short - follow your bliss.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
As I rapidly approach older age , comfort rises quite a bit on my required list , next to performance and handling. I can't say , even with a few enhancements , the bird is comfortable for me and my old knees , ailments and back restrictions.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I find my Blackbird just fine with risers etc and I am riddled with arthritis and not a spring chicken but also not an OAP just yet !!!!
How old are you Big and which risers are you running ? How much rise do you get with them ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good input, acknowledged. I'll just keep starting her up couple times a month till the romance is over. Wildman, what's a supercharger go for on that year, mine's looking like a min of 10k.
Go VMP, but ensure you upgrade the oil pump gear and crankshaft timing gears. That is the weak links. Go stage 3 right off the bat. About $10k for sure.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
@xxdiner I hear you totally, just came up to 2 years w my 15 WRX, my other option was a 15 GT at the time but just not enough rear seat room which I required. To date I have got into modifying my WRX and it is easily the closest 4 wheels I have ever had to a bike. Just a blast to drive and in 2 years have racked up 40K. The bike has had about 750 put on in that same time. This summer I have licensed the Bird mainly to ensure I always have clean fuel in it and just to run it before storing it again but honestly I have enjoyed moddin the car more only because I have been riding bikes so long and it seems many of my comrades have sold , no longer ride or have moved on to other toys. I always figured as my son got older I would have more time to ride, has not been the case with sports but in another couple years that will change and I will have more time for the bike, but for now in the beauty weather the car and boat are getting way more attention. Hopeful;y the love affair is renewed or strongly consider selling the Bird and moving on:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the opposite situation.. I bought my Blackbird 4 years ago about 6 months before also purchasing a TVR. Once the TVR arrived, sadly I neglected the Bird, and she languished in the back of my garage. That was until now. I have been buying more bike magazines lately, and the old exciting feeling for bikes has returned..I'm 45 by the way. Sooo, I have now insured the Blackbird, given her a much needed polish (even though she was covered in a dust sheet), and is due an MOT and service this Saturday. I am genuinely excited at riding it again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder..so they say. I'm glad I never sold her that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Had the opposite situation.. I bought my Blackbird 4 years ago about 6 months before also purchasing a TVR. Once the TVR arrived, sadly I neglected the Bird, and she languished in the back of my garage. That was until now. I have been buying more bike magazines lately, and the old exciting feeling for bikes has returned..I'm 45 by the way. Sooo, I have now insured the Blackbird, given her a much needed polish (even though she was covered in a dust sheet), and is due an MOT and service this Saturday. I am genuinely excited at riding it again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder..so they say. I'm glad I never sold her that's for sure.
Many years back I had to sell my much loved FJ1200 to finance a car for a new job, I had to get something economical so bought a Sierra 2.3 diesel on a recommendation :crap:. After I had drove that 'thing' a few thousand miles I realised what a hideous, slow, foul smelling monstrosity it was...I truly hated that car, I really did and I'd sold my 1TX for it :(. Slightly different angle to others but I developed a dislike for everyone on a decent sized bike thereafter until I got sorted and bought another to satisfy my craving, might of been the FZR Genesis if memory serves. Being without a bike, even if little used, leaves a hole.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Thanks , but I need more rise than that. I installed the Gilles Variobars adjustable risers and it isn't enough rise to straighten me up.

I've got a set of these on mine, 3" risers. If you need more they do a 4" riser. They are so multi adjustable to the point that it's hard to decide what you want. You will need extended cables though.
Home

1 - 20 of 25 Posts