Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just received my new fairing kit from auctmart. Part way through installing and I'm now wondering about heat protection on the lower pieces around the exhaust. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to use, also pictures would be helpful for me. I can't wait to get her running again!

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Honda Motorcycle Parts 2002 CBR1100XX A LOWER COWL Diagram I'm not sure is it is the foam insulation parts you are looking for, or not. I replaced all these a few years ago but they seem to be unavailable now. I replaced every insulation part I could, some from Partzilla and some from Honda. Good Luck.
For example.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi guys,

Just received my new fairing kit from auctmart. Part way through installing and I'm now wondering about heat protection…
Hi Kingoftheswing,

I've placed an order with Auctmarts too (in getting their heat shields). How have you got on with your kit? Good qual, good fit, good service? Tips and recommendations welcome.

Regards Mallow1

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I don't know if ya'll noticed or not, but the OP goes back to 2016. Just saying.

Regarding heat protection: If you mimic the factory protection in some fashion that may stand you in good stead. I've not used the aftermarket parts myself so can not comment on there material make up or there heat resistances properties. I do have a vague memory of some of the aftermarket sets having heat issues near the exhaust pipe area's. The use of aftermarket exhaust systems (4 into 1, 4 into 2 into 1 systems) may have also played a part in the heat issue and fairing damage, even with the stock OEM panels,...but check my thinking/info here. A search with turn up more info...and deadman has install aftermarket parts I believe.

T.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
TigreST said:
The use of aftermarket exhaust systems (4 into 1, 4 into 2 into 1 systems) may have also played a part in the heat issue and fairing damage, even with the stock OEM panels
the original Akra systems melted the bottom of the RH fairing panel, later systems were better but I still encountered problems with my supercharged Bird. A little judicial 'trimming' was required.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hi Kingoftheswing,

I've placed an order with Auctmarts too (in getting their heat shields). How have you got on with your kit? Good qual, good fit, good service? Tips and recommendations welcome.

Regards Mallow1
When i bought my auctmarts kit 2.5 yrs ago (long since removed) it only came with 2 minimal pieces of heat shield to apply yourself. Ordered some more similar to this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Turbo-Hood-Heat-Shield-Mat-Exhaust-Muffler-Insulation-Sponge-Cotton-Pad-Mat/322480910702?hash=item4b155c316e:g:qL8AAOSwc49Y7bpE

·
Registered
397 Posts
When i bought my auctmarts kit 2.5 yrs ago (long since removed) it only came with 2 minimal pieces of heat shield to apply yourself. Ordered some more similar to this.
Car Turbo Hood Heat Shield Mat Exhaust Muffler Insulation Sponge Cotton Pad Mat | eBay
Well in my true Mallow snail pace of project progress… upper fairing now installed so prep'd lower kit with the small amount of heat shield provided by Auctmarts plus added extra as per Adeyren's recommendation (rated up to 600°C).
I also looked at the original foam lining throughout and found some thermal alu lined foam to replicate the upper layers (rated up to 180°C).
Created paper templates to match the original panel inserts:

Then cut and installed the three types of self adhesive shield (taping over the joins and edges with alu exhaust tape Silver Aluminium Tape 48mm X 10 Metres Many Uses! Temporary Exhaust pipe repairs Backing material in car panel repairs Seals joints of heating and ventilation ducts.: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools ):

NB plus the two foam vertical strips recovered from my old fairing (#1 in the parts guide):

Also found #10 & #15 on Fleabay in better nick than my mine (used here in the UK on carb birds).

Now to install and see if anything melts!

·
Registered
397 Posts
All installed and seems a-okay. My exhaust headers were none OEM so the right most protrudes. It was slightly further forward than OEM so was touching the right lower fairing on the underside.

As per others, I had a very minor melt (few millimeters on the very underside just right of the bolts that join the two side panels), panel off, trimmed with a dremel, back on, no longer touching, still v minor melt on longer running, trimmed further to create greater air gap, painted freshly exposed edge with black scratch pen (as is white base plastic albeit not visible from looking at the panel once installed), no more melts so far and nothing visible externally.

True test will only come on a tour in hot weather. Confidence is high though.

Only other thing I've encountered with my Auctmarts set was although the set was for '97 BB, inside the nose cowl was missing the air scoop mount tabs (easily replicated with crazy glue and baking soda trick mentioned by Luv'in). I could have just got hold of Auctmarts to send a couple for me to glue/ weld in place (there are markers on the cowl for the correct position) but with Covid I figured much faster to make my own.
Also the v-shaped cowel in front of the radiator looks to be for the EFI (smaller triangular area at the bottom and not as tall as OEM on the sides… fits ok though).

However I chose to use my original as it scrubbed up very well… Auctmarts was unpainted black matt plastic (as per the upper panel fillers), OEM is colour matched and mine was in very good nick (respray and polished up a treat).

I've also noticed the filler pannels are a touch more brittle than the OEM. I broke a tab pulling one off (my fault I missed the final fastner and tugged in my haste… glued/ welded back on and holding ok so far).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts