Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What you think guys about a exhaust wrap ? I install a lot of this on car's header not on bike ... should be good to wrap it ? Thanks

Envoyé de mon SM-G988W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've heard that rusting headers can be a long-term issue doing this on bikes, but cannot verify this claim as I've never done it on a bike (only on cars).

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
Depends on header type. Steel will if your in a wet environment. Stainless nut so but it can cause cracks from heat stress.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Why would you wrap something that needs cooling ...!

So the heat doesn't radiate out but goes out the tail pipe instead. On cars it keeps things cooler under the hood. That's my understanding of the principle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes XXGUY youre right ... the heat goes out faster so thats increase the flow ... and its not the header it need to be cooling but the engine ... i think ill do it ...

Envoyé de mon SM-G988W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
As I understand it, it also reduces radiant heat from the header to the radiator and oil cooler. Hence allowing the engine to cool easier as its fluids cool easier. I also understand that ceramic coating of headers is very effective, as an alternative to wrapping. And maybe a little more aesthetically pleasing.

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
I respectfully disagree with both of you guys..

Both of them are right. 2 things develop out of wrapping. The first is that it reduces radiant heating into the surrounding components. The second has to do with thermal dynamics and fluid dynamics. Keeping the heat in the exhaust pipe creates a pressure wave. It's a combination of heat and pressure. Maintaining heat keeps the pressure wave strength up. Now that pressure wave has a result of creating a negative wave behind. That helps create a pressure draw behind the exhaust valve. When the valve opens it will scavenge the cylinder. Also keeping the heat in the pipe makes the shockwave travel faster as well.
Hope that explains the benefits. Ceramic coating is a better technology but expensive and time consuming compared to wrapping it yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts