Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody. I am leaving for a 10 day 2-up tour on my ’97 blackbird and I wanted to document it here. As I’m leaving June the 30[SUP]th[/SUP] I don’t have pictures as of yet, but I thought it was a good place to post what I’m bringing on the trip (a bunch of stuff had to be bought for the trip, others I already had) and how I ‘prepared’ for it. It’s my first multiday camping trip (I have however done plenty of long 2up day trips) so it’s probably also a good idea to ask the more experienced bike campers out there if I’m missing something (essential, or simply useful) on my list!

Camping gear:
· Coleman Coastline Compact 3 tent
· 2x self-inflating matrasses (5 cm thick)
· 2x sleeping bags
· Single pit gas cooker
· Two pans + assorted cutlery
· Extra tarp (to use as a shelter if it’s raining and I have to set up the tent or to cover the bike)
· 2x multi use led torch (+ extra batteries)
· 1x wind up led torch (for emergency use if the batteries of the others run out)
· Magnesium fire starter + several lighters in a waterproof container

Luggage:
· Three piece hard luggage set
· Inner bags for clothing and miscellaneous items
· ‘Vacuum’ bags for clothing (to reduce packing space and waterproof our clothing)
· Bungee chords and baggage nets

Comfort:
· See signature for various comfort related mods/farkles
· I’m getting the stock seat reshaped next week because I sit very close to the tank and my ass starts burning after a few hours
· Airhawk II (I’ve had this for a while but I don’t really like using it. I might not even bring it depending on the seat reshaping results)
· Anti slip passenger seat cover (used it for over a year now, works like charm to prevent the passenger slipping forwards)

Electronics:
· Garmin Zumo 220 + mount/charger
· Scala rider teamset
· Scala rider cigarette socket charger
· Android phone (I also loaded offline maps on it as a back up)
· 2x cigarette charger socket. One underneath the seat, the other will be routed to the top case
· 1x dual usb charger (for everything that uses a usb cable to charge)
· GoPro HD
· Kodak ZX3 waterproof camera
· Picture camera
· Waterproof baggies for all the above

Other:
· Extended toolkit (extra sockets and stuff like locktite etc.)
· First aid kit (mandatory in some EU countries)
· Tyre repair/plug kit
· Digital tyre pressure gauge
· 10L fold up water jerrycan (for at the camping sites, water bottles for on the road)
· Food (dry + snacks)
· Money (debit card, cash and credit card)
· Normal all weather riding gear
· Towels + the usual hygiene related stuff

I still have to replace my chain, brake pads and new rear tyre this weekend, the rest of the bike is ready to go. I might have forgotten some stuff on the list as I did it off of the top of my head and I still need to get some miscellaneous items like bug spray and a physical road map this weekend. I’m not bringing my tank bag because I would have to carry it everywhere I go and it’s a pain. I’m bringing a small back pack instead which I’ll put on the tank. I am going to put a baggage net over the tank under which I’ll put the (empty) backpack.

Am I missing anything especially handy? I should mention that I’m not going to camp in the middle of nowhere, I’ll be setting up my tent at paid camping sites.

Thanks a bunch! I’ll post some more pics soon. Attached is a very rough draft of the route. The highlights will be the Alps (especially the Stelvio pass and this other pass in the south of France) and the Italian/French coast. The route is about 3000km so it's not too bad.

European tour 2012.jpg

Reactions: Flameforge

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
I now carry a small compressor to re-inflate tyres after punctures - last time in the middle of France I had a flat plugged the hole, used up the gas cannisters, plug didn't take and I was in difficult situation until a French guy helped out with a full size portable compressor that he went and got from his home!

Cable Ties ................ handful of long ones, useful for many jobs .............. long ones can be cut, short ones can't be stretched

but there has to be one thing you never travel without

DUCK TAPE

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Something to clean the bugs off the visor and one of those plastic side stand things so that the bike doesn't dig into the soft ground ... Also in europe you'll need a H7 bulb kit ;)

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Did I read chain lube? 100 mph tape.

·
Super Red Devil
302 Posts
great planning, I don't think I ever planned exactly what to take with me in such details ;)
yet the route - that seems like a strange one - did you plan driving only on highways?
so you are basically skipping all the nice alpine passes in the Switzerland but you are still going thru Stelvio pass in Italy? what about some Austrian passes?
Going down through Milano to Genoa is also a long and boring highway (honestly the country roads there are not really that nice either) - besides, be ready to hit traffic in Milano! I would probably keep driving on the swiss-italian border till Torino and from there go down to the coast...
Last year I drove the coast but in the other direction (from Monaco to Genoa) - I can tell you that the italian side of the coast is over-populated - the road is not actually on the sea-side (like in Monaco) but goes thru endless small italian towns where you have to fight your way between scooters ;)
your way back seems great - the French alps are really spectacular and I am sure you'll have lots of fun on the way back!
would be nice to see a more detailed route - maybe I could give you some feedback on what to avoid (if you care for my advice)!
actually around the same time we have a tour planned (with Paul, also from this forum) - he'll be driving down from the UK and cross the Stelvio pass on Monday the 2nd!!! from there we go to South-Tirol (drive some Dolomites passes) and a tour to Romania thru Vienna...
enjoy your trip and keep us updated!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I now carry a small compressor to re-inflate tyres after punctures - last time in the middle of France I had a flat plugged the hole, used up the gas cannisters, plug didn't take and I was in difficult situation until a French guy helped out with a full size portable compressor that he went and got from his home!

Cable Ties ................ handful of long ones, useful for many jobs .............. long ones can be cut, short ones can't be stretched

but there has to be one thing you never travel without

DUCK TAPE
Thanks, I'll make sure to pack the DUCK TAPE. I also have a pack of cable ties I was going to bring. The compressor is a good idea and it is something I've thought about.. But honestly haven't researched that much (I would like a small one since the space with two people is limited). I'll add it to my list to find this weekend.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something to clean the bugs off the visor and one of those plastic side stand things so that the bike doesn't dig into the soft ground ... Also in europe you'll need a H7 bulb kit ;)
I've started to bring wet wipes which I also use for the visor. I generally just use some rocks and sticks instead of the plastic thingy but they can't be expensive.. I'll get one just for good measure. Thanks! Is the bulb kit mandatory? I carry spare H7 bulbs anyway... I don't think the other bulbs in the standard kit or of any use anyway. I have smaller rear blinkers and lightly tinted front blinkers that use orange bulbs.. I'll just get some spares for the blinkers then.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Duck tape and a SPEEDO bathing suit. Just cause when you guys have them on it makes me chuckle ;)
Speedo huh? I'm not going anywhere near those! Do you think I'm some old slick rick Italian guy or something? :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great planning, I don't think I ever planned exactly what to take with me in such details ;)
yet the route - that seems like a strange one - did you plan driving only on highways?
so you are basically skipping all the nice alpine passes in the Switzerland but you are still going thru Stelvio pass in Italy? what about some Austrian passes?
Going down through Milano to Genoa is also a long and boring highway (honestly the country roads there are not really that nice either) - besides, be ready to hit traffic in Milano! I would probably keep driving on the swiss-italian border till Torino and from there go down to the coast...
Last year I drove the coast but in the other direction (from Monaco to Genoa) - I can tell you that the italian side of the coast is over-populated - the road is not actually on the sea-side (like in Monaco) but goes thru endless small italian towns where you have to fight your way between scooters ;)
your way back seems great - the French alps are really spectacular and I am sure you'll have lots of fun on the way back!
would be nice to see a more detailed route - maybe I could give you some feedback on what to avoid (if you care for my advice)!
actually around the same time we have a tour planned (with Paul, also from this forum) - he'll be driving down from the UK and cross the Stelvio pass on Monday the 2nd!!! from there we go to South-Tirol (drive some Dolomites passes) and a tour to Romania thru Vienna...
enjoy your trip and keep us updated!!
I still feel a bit under planned but I’m sure I’ve covered the basics.. At least the more expensive stuff, if I have to buy some small stuff whilst being there then I’ll just do that. It’s my first time so I have to be gentle. :p

The route is VERY rough since I Google mapped it in 2 minutes just so show something here. I know it shows all highway roads but the only highway I’m taking is the one from Holland to Fussen (Germany, right in front of the Austrian border), maybe a little bit to get from nice area to nice area and the last part of France back home. The rest will all be non highway roads. I have a more detailed one saved at home which I might be able to share. The planning of the route is still a bit tricky because I’ve heard of some nice places (like the Stelvio pass) but most of the route was ‘planned’ by looking at Google maps, seeing a nice squiggly line and deciding to go there.. I would basically just enter a general destination, turn off highways’ and just follow my GPS unless I see something nicer than it suggests.

Your suggestion of going to Torino is the kind of suggestion I’m really looking for. If the Italian coast is a pain then I’ll just skip it all together and go to the nicer French parts! I’m definitely not going to Milano or any bigger cities because I’m not interested in going to any cities. I want to see mountains, nature in general and nice roads. Not blazing hot cities. J If you could give some more suggestions between the Stelvio and Torino (nice areas, lakes etc.), please do so! Also between Nice (general area) and up if you know anything worthwhile.

What a coincidence, I’m planning to ride the Stelvio pass the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] too! I would also like to hear about your tour since I would like to do a second one in a few months in that general direction! Thanks a lot, I’m going to update my route when I get home.

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Here is the compressor I carry, small but works well, you need to cut the cigarette lighter plug off if you don't have an accessory socket that it will fit .... just replace with crocodile clips and you can run it direct from the battery (best keep the motor charging to avoid a flat battery) ...... hope you never need it but good reassurance.

Ring Automotive 12V Analogue Compressor with LED Light | Screwfix.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did I read chain lube? 100 mph tape.
My Scottoiler takes care of lubing duties and I have an extra reservoir that will give me thousands of miles of lubing pleasure... :p

What's 100 mph tape?

EDIT: Duct tape, got it. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered the Airman Sparrow compact compressor at a bargain price of 15 bucks + shipping. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ordered a H7 HID kit and tested the tent and how I should pack everything on the bike (pics to follow).

·
Super Red Devil
302 Posts
Just FYI - as far as I know those HID kits are illegal in europe, except on pre-certified machines... They *might* give you troubles on your next yearly-inspection!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts