Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Shorai battery. New Rec Reg. and plugs.

The other eve I went out for a spin around. I sparked the trickle charger alligator clips removing them from the battery.
Happened to notice in the failing light the front turn signals were messing up. I have the white runner LEDs that blink orange when signaling. I was at a light and tapped the mirror signal and it flashed once with the hit. Figure connection issue in the mirror and Id get to it next day or two.
In need of a spin I go to leave and no dash power or lights?
Took off the seat to check the tank connection plug hoping its got a bad connection having not had it off in a while but remember the symptom was this in the past a couple times, forgetting to re-plug in at base of tank after service. Nope, connections look good.
Plugs look good, main fuse good, Rec Reg plugs still look new. Lifted her skirt, (tank) and new plugs still clean livin.
Hoping the small spark didn't mess with the CPU?
Any thoughts on first test. Thanks?

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
Speaking from my experience, electrical diagnostics is really hard over the internet :D but one thing I'd like to ask, the third pic, isn't that bank angle sensor connector?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I first got it I went thru a number of electrical issues all solved by the CBR physicists here. Seem to remember having a diagnostic chart step by step to check thou.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It runs but trouble with dash power and lights? If so then ECU I would say is OK.
1. Check battery even though it is new.
2. What is running battery voltage at idle and at 5000rpm?
3. Have you done the loom fix?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey fizzy,
Battery still good.
98 carby and havn't seen a loom. Thought that was just FI models. Did the upgrade Rec -Reg this past season after the last fail.
There was a sputter after starting this time and seeing no dash lights. That was symptoms before when stator and rec/reg burned out. So I didn't leave it running to know if it even would keep running but doughting it. If it sounds like CPU should be good, I'm Leaning towards stator now seeing all plugs between the two still looking fine. I'll put her back together tomorrow and see what or if I can get any voltage at 5000. Thx

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5000rpm test showed no increased voltage send. Stayed at the battery voltage of 13.7. Did not go up or down with RPM increase decrease...?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
5000rpm test showed no increased voltage send. Stayed at the battery voltage of 13.7. Did not go up or down with RPM increase decrease...?
Doesn't sound right.

1. Verify all charging connections.

2. Best practice is to connect the 2 output wires from R/R directly to the battery with an inline 30A fuse on the + side in order to avoid the factory loom (using 10 gauge wire). Just cover up the unused factory connector with tape.

3. Test the stator output. Yours maybe dead based on above. Disconnect 3 stator output wires. Start bike (she will run fine on battery alone) and check voltage between 3 stator wires 3 ways. ie: A to B, B to C and C to A. Should be about 60VAC at 5000prm all 3 ways with very small difference between pairs.

4. If #3 test is ok but you still have trouble then do a stator load test. Same as test #3 but with 60W incandescent light bulb instead of DVM. It will burn brightly at 5000rpm.

5. You should see 14.5V at battery at medium/high engine speed. Never over 15V.

·
Administrator
9,530 Posts
Jet
If one of the legs reads bad resistance wise then do the AC voltage output check fizzy stated between the 3 phases. If they differ by more than a couple volts it's gone. It would also explain your low DC output. It takes all 3 phases being good to get to the high 14 volt output you'll need.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks beestoys! I got sidetracked with dental surgery but hope to get it back out side the garage, started up with the stator plug under the tank disconnected, and check the 3 plug set with some rpms. Still concerned about the failed dash and lights on this initial fail. Seemed odd and had me concerned with CPU...Hope to get the test results back here to confirm ideas. We have 90's this week but mornings and eves are awesome riding!

·
Administrator
9,530 Posts
Yes there is another tucked next to the fuse box if remember right. It's in a white holder.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still unsure what happened, why the turn signals were shorting and then the dash and lights were gone. But in taking things apart to test the stator and rec reg, it seemed to sort itself. In the process I saw where the connection to stator under the tank has been hardwired by some. Is that recommended? Just damn happy to get back on her. Then I just got Covid and down for the count...sheeeesh! Thanks again for the help!

·
Administrator
9,530 Posts
Hardwired I'd the best. It keeps you from having a failure because the connector has burned up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts