Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Did a quick forum search, but still need more info.

Winter Project included upgrading the electrical system. Old Battery died in November, so I upgraded to a new mosfet r/r from roadster cycle at the same time as a new battery (LiFe 8 cell from Ballistic.)
Quick test run, everything appeared to be doing great. I have a voltmeter wired in, and it showed voltage increasing with rpm's. Mistake #1: Not doing a "Long" test run to be sure that the battery was really charging before calling it good.

I then decided to get all fancy and build a small battery bus to clean up the connections to the battery. Looked ok, seemed pretty pleased with it. Installed it. First warm day arrived, and I had a huge BIG (Blackbird Induced Grin) on my face for 30 miles or so...then when I had to stop at a light...the bike died. (Irony-as I'm pushing the bike to the side, some doofus in a passing truck yells "Next time buy a Honda!) Mistake#2: Adding a new electrical gimmick without making sure that the electrical system was already truly 100% functional.

Anyhow, battery is completely drained. Fortunately, I was riding on a loop, so I was only 5 miles from home. Disconnected the batt AND the new bus, got picked up by lovely wife, and put the battery on the charger. 3 hours later, I hardwired everything back to the newly charged battery, and the bike is home safe in the garage.

Voltmeter showed 13-14V pretty much the whole time on the ride, yet the battery still died. Possibly something was up with my homemade battery bus. I'm reluctant to take the bike too far, lest I get stuck somewhere really inconveniant. So now the question: How do I check the stator to make sure it's really working? I've read somewhere that if one of the the 3 phases quits, the rectifier will no longer charge the battery. And if the stator was the thing that originally went "Ka-Put", did I do any harm to my new r/r?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
The meter was reading 13-14V right up until the bike died?
Where does the meter connect to the system?
Could you post some pics of the work you did?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll post a pic later tonight. Hmmm, didn't think about this before, but I had the voltmeter hooked up to the bus rather than the battery. Now that I've got the voltmeter connected back direct to the battery, the 13-14v SHOULD be recharging the battery.

Thanks for helping me clear my head on this, Shewie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts