Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use quick disconnects on my 2000 bird. Love them, so easy to remove tank. Dont remember exactly where I got them. They are chrome plated brass though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I started servicing the bike today and ended up tilting the tank backwards as some people on here have mentioned.

It seemed fairly well balanced but I still like the idea of fitting the quick disconnects.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
If I'm doing a valve check I'd rather have the tank removed. Much more room.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Make sure you have an inspection mirror and a 6 inch machinist rule if you have to pull the cams. Intake cam is a pain to sight in because of the frame. Take note there are 2 different bolt lenghts as well you'll see why when you get in there.

Reactions: adeyren

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know how it goes. It's done 50k miles and from what I've read, I'm not expecting to have to make any adjustments but I'd like to check.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Bees, Duck did that on my inlet cam. It's slotted. Needs to be dialled in.
Some people are masochists. Why would you subject yourself to a dialable cam ughhh. Just shoot me lol. 🤪

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
Some people are masochists. Why would you subject yourself to a dialable cam ughhh. Just shoot me lol.
There is nothing like teaching somebody how easy the valves are to check and adjust and then there are no marks on the cam sprocket ..... then you notice slots. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Especially when they didn't know there were aftermarket sprockets and or cams in it. Let alone where they were setup at.
Ohhhh the quagmire depends🤯

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh man, you two are scarring me. I need to do this to my '00 in the fall before winter storage.
Is it really that difficult ? :cautious:

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
Oh man, you two are scarring me. I need to do this to my '00 in the fall before winter storage.
Is it really that difficult ? :cautious:
Not it's not difficult, there are several guides on this forum (i wrote one myself many years ago in a thread called something like 'valve check do you do yours')

The reason the mickey taking has taken place is because I offered to show adeyren how to check and adjust clearances. Simple job I thought until we lifted the cam cover and there we found different cams, different cam sprockets that were adjustable and the clearances didn't meet the specs we were expecting. Basically nothing was standard and I didn't have dial gauges etc with me! Not the simple day I was expecting .....

Reactions: adeyren

·
Registered
65 Posts
Okay that explains it. Not stock does off more challenges. My '00s engine is stock so I should have no issues. I have a machinist rule but I need to get a small mirror.
At 60,000+ kms, I'm noticing alittle more clicking in the top of the engine.
I replaced the cam chain tensioner in the spring so I'm think I need to check the valve clearance.
She runs abit rough until operating temp is reached.

I will have to try the "tank up" method. I hate taking the gas lines off, its such a pain.
One day, 1/2 full tank fell on my hand with the "spanner and collar to hold up the tank" method. Now I use a short 2x4
Had a bruise on my wrist for a week after that. Live and learn.
I thought of installing quick connects for the gas lines but, how often do you take your tank off ? I don't make a habit of it.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
If you pull the return line off the FPR you can drain 98% of tank using that line instead of making a big mess. Then I'll just pop the line off the rail end. Just be mindful to keep it propped so it doesn't leak out any more. Same with the FPR and it'll happen when you pick it up to move it all over your leg and foot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bees, that sounds like a Murphy Law's type action "it'll happen when you pick it up to move it all over your leg and foot " 😄

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Yep or the artisan water sprites. Pesky little devils. Always pranking humans with liquids.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts