Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to change my pads both front and rear tomorrow, before a nice, relaxed, 600 km trip with my wife. So I'm going to do the same procedure as when I last replaced the fronts, which was to follow this one:

The pads have served me well since I used that procedure in 2015 (yeah, I don't get to ride as much as I'd like here in Norway...), so that should be a no-brainer. But what about the rears? Should I simply replace them all at the same time and do the process with hard braking on front and rear at the same time, or should I first replace the front pads, bed them in and then do the rear pads after that by pressing only the pedal, even if that does use the front brakes too? Or even the rear pads first, and then the front pads? You can color me confused... o_O

·
Administrator
12,876 Posts
What is the state of your rear pads?
I used to change them all at the same time when I was commuting (nothing like 4am in the damp with new brakes and tyres to keep you awake) but since I retired I change pads as needed. I have even fitted part worns that I pulled early. My use seems to wear fronts just a bit more than rears .... but I always check them all at the same time since any sticking of sliders will result in one pad wearing faster than the other in the same caliper.

If the pads all need changing do them all at one time, bed in the fronts first (the really important ones) then a couple of hard presses on the rear will have you set up.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering, Duck! The state is pretty much old. Very old... :rolleyes: Being a hopless clutz I'll let you be the judge of how bad they are. I got the rear pads that I'm planning to put on it when I bought the bike in 2014, so I'm guessing the previous owner hadn't changed them in a while either. This is what the rear set looks like (the spider web is funny in that respect, but it's because I've had the bike in the garage for two weeks waiting for another part):

To me it looks like they're not sintered, so maybe that's why the previous owner was going to change them for sintered? It looks like they are disintegrating a tiny bit, but they are not as worn as I thought. Maybe I can use them the rest of this season? Beacuse the front brakes turned out not to be as bad as I thought, I had been looking at them in a skewed angle. As they are not down below the marks I would hope that I can do this whole brake pad replacement in the fall service winter instead of two days before a four day trip with my wife through 31 years, which I hope to keep for at least another 31... :love: We are planning to ride around 3000-4000 km more before I park. What do you think? None of the pads are more worn than the one to the left on this side.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You just said it yourself. Looks to me plenty of brake material on there. If they work fine I'd leave em alone til after the 2up ride. Especially because of the added weight. Probably not the best idea to bed the pads in like that scenario unless emergency. Appears like those calipers need a little attention when you get around to the brake job. Enjoy your trip!!

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Administrator
12,876 Posts
Yep plenty of life left in those pads so if they are still gripping well leave them in place.
Pins could certainly do with a good clean up though the pads will stick on those ..... and whilst you are at it check that the slider is working.
Then you should be fit to go.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mugilaa, Any particular reason for you to link to the same post that I linked to in my first post in this thread and said that was the process I was going to use for the second time? :ROFLMAO:

TheDuck, thanks! I think I'll see if I can get a new set of pins, I'm sure they are on eBay. Maybe from Jaws?

·
Administrator
12,876 Posts
Don't think the pins will need replacing, they look like they should clean up fine. Yes the plating will have gone but unless they show notable pitting, bends or groves you can clean them and re-use, I'm on 22 year old pins that have seen 120K miles. Still clean up OK and with the finest wipe of corrosion block grease they still resist the UK climate.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great, thanks! Then I'll do that. (y) I think maybe the coastal climate of southern Norway (the southernmost tip, actually) is even harsher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts