Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents.

Does anyone know where this earth point is on the 'Bird?

Probably giving it a 'Man Look' as my partner says, but I can't find it.

Ok, That is supposed to be a picture of the wiring diagram with the earth point highlighted at the bottom middle of the page, but it's not working so I, hopefully, have added it as an attachment.

Thanks,

John.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
There is a main one under the rear bottom left if the petrol tank, if you raise the tank up you will see it on the frame spar under the tank.
If you do decide to take off the 10mm nut I think it is to clean, I would suggest disconnect the negative black lead to your battery first, just to play it safe.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gents.

Yep, man-look for the one at the back of the tank 😔. Going to take a bit of digging to get at the one in the second photo from Bird’s Harbour.

Cheers,
John.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't think you can reach the ground point on the engine block without taking the tank off, and I don't think it's necessary. The one under the tank is good enough and convenient for adding any accessory to the bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think you can reach the ground point on the engine block without taking the tank off, and I don't think it's necessary. The one under the tank is good enough and convenient for adding any accessory to the bike.
Thanks Tom.
That second one is definitely a tank off job.
I’m trying to solve a erratic gauge fault, not add bits - I have a switched bus set-up for that. The earth behind the tank is the common one to the gauges and senders so wanted to check it was ok.
It is. Bugger ☹

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Tom.
That second one is definitely a tank off job.
I’m trying to solve a erratic gauge fault, not add bits - I have a switched bus set-up for that. The earth behind the tank is the common one to the gauges and senders so wanted to check it was ok.
It is. Bugger ☹
Just a thought, but I think I read somewhere than the birds after 2001 with digital dash has 3 of the loom plugs, one Is by the head stock or the front the other is by the injectors and the last one is the usual suspected one the by the battery.
There all taped up in the usual crappy tape.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I ran an additional ground wire from the chassis under the tank to the headlight ground wire 2" from the headlight connector. This back fed all ground wires in the vicinity. I wasn't actually having problems, but the bike was apart and the loom is old.

Edit: intermittent gauge issues could be a low voltage problem. Check your charging system.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.

This is all from what started as a cooling problem, but it was very sudden and intermittent. I have also started getting other gauge faults so don’t think it’s actually a cooling/temperature fault anymore.

The stator crapped out about 6 months ago. Replaced that, the R/R and the battery so charging circuit all good. The heating/gauging fault started about 2 months after that. Coincidence????

Had the loom fix done about 15 yrs ago. I had no problems but Jaws recommended it because by the time the loom started causing problems, it was too late. Professionally done by the spooks at work so no concerns about the workmanship but thinking I might have a look under the heat-shrink, just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts