Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day everyone.
Yesterday I put the Birdy on the rolling road (dyno) and did a 'Power Run'. It was just for a bit of fun really and only cost 50.00. No Power Commander involved for tuning, just a few pulls on the dyno to see how the Blackbird was performing. The dyno report said I had 122.1HP @10,100 and 71.3FtLb @7500. I would love to know what others think about these results please.

The Honda guy operating the dyno seemed to think this was okay for my bike and had seen similar results with another Bird. He didn't think it was worth tuning it with a Power Comander even though the bike was slightly rich. He said the rich fuel condition was only apparent at peak power/revs so wouldn't pose much of a problem unless I was riding it flat out all the time (I wish!). What do you think? Plausible?

I run K&N and Staintune exhausts so I thought I'd be lean, rather than rich but the Honda guy said that the K&N would be more restrictive than an OEM paper filter. Is that true? I don't think so!

Facinating stuff as never had a bike on a Dyno before. I did think 122.1HP was a bit low but I like how the bike feels to me on the road so I'm not loosing any sleep over it. I do wonder where all my extra horses have gone though!

Thanks people, looking forward to hearing more about how others have faired on the Dyno and what's normal for our machines.

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Rich up high would be normal on a Dyno. The system is mapped for the ram air effect that starts to take effect above 90 mph.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Rich up high would be normal on a Dyno. The system is mapped for the ram air effect that starts to take effect above 90 mph.
Thanks Bees. That's very helpful. Cheers mate, Nato.
P.S. Appreciate how quickly you respond to new posts.

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Your very welcome good sir. Just trying to be helpful.

Reactions: Nato

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
What type of dyno? Dynojet ones,by far the most common,will read higher than eddy-current ones. I'm no expert on dyno engineering, but basically 2 different types,2 different results.By Dynojet standards 122 is pretty low, 135 would be more like it. The a/f ratio and your hp and torque curves are more important than final #'s.
Hoping to get mine done soon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What type of dyno? Dynojet ones,by far the most common,will read higher than eddy-current ones. I'm no expert on dyno engineering, but basically 2 different types,2 different results.By Dynojet standards 122 is pretty low, 135 would be more like it. The a/f ratio and your hp and torque curves are more important than final #'s.
Hoping to get mine done soon.
Its a Dynojet, Partsguy. Thanks for your input. Let us know when you get yours done.
I thought my hp was low too but the curves looked good. Would having a heavier chain make any difference to my ponies?
Also, the dyno operator is pretty new to it, so wondering about his work and abilities. These Honda guys in Tasmania are okay sometimes but dont know stacks of stuff, especially where BBs are concerned.
In fact, recently a guy with a BB (2001 or before, I think), took his bike to this particular Honda dealer complaining of poor fuel economy and it bogging down at idle. Because, I'd ordered a FPR for my 05' bird, they decided to put this in his bike as I had not picked up the part yet (don't get me started!). Apparently, this guy's bike is using more fuel now after putting in the 05' FPR and Honda are scatching their heads wondering what to do next.
That is why I ended up doing a Dyno run because Honda asked me if they could test mine out and compare the readings between the two bikes. The tuner said the bikes were similar on the dyno but they couldn't fix the bogging problem or high fuel consumption issue either. They said that the guy had an old power commander that they didn't have a cord for so were kind of stuck. Anywho, you get my drift right! Honda shops are great at fixing problems provided those probelms are ones that can be solved simply by replacing parts. Beyond that, they actually create more probelms and questions than they solve. In fact, I think Honda, globally may have lost its way....but that's another story.

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
So my question is what were the AFR values in the area it was bogging in. A lean condition can cause a similar throttle response. On the PCIII's there is an accelerator pump function that can be enabled.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It's not the shop, it's the ability of the mechanic. I've worked in dealerships for 34 yrs,seen some great techs and some who shouldn't have a license.There is a lot of benefits to taking your bike to someone who has worked on them before,has access to correct service info generally speaking,but many have never seen one up close.That said, it's not rocket science,there's nothing on the CBR1100 that isn't on another bike.
Honda discontinued the original 43 psi regulator on the '99/00 model and only sell the 01 up 50 psi model. I have also done this but have had other issues for so long now not sure if it ever created a problem,I don't believe it did. In fact Tigerst and a friend did a side by side comparo on it years ago and found it helped.The story is in here somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
When I installed my new style regulator it pushed it very rich. But I also changed to a different computer. So it may have been a combination of the 2. It put me at low 11's on the AFR meter which is fat. But I didn't experience any bog.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I installed my new style regulator it pushed it very rich. But I also changed to a different computer. So it may have been a combination of the 2. It put me at low 11's on the AFR meter which is fat. But I didn't experience any bog.
Thanks Bees. I don't know enough about the guy's bike to give you a better description of problem, other than what I mentioned above. I like that you are so helpful though! If I ever meet this guy fanging around town, I think I'll let him know about this forum. He might have more luck here than at Honda.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It's not the shop, it's the ability of the mechanic. I've worked in dealerships for 34 yrs,seen some great techs and some who shouldn't have a license.There is a lot of benefits to taking your bike to someone who has worked on them before,has access to correct service info generally speaking,but many have never seen one up close.That said, it's not rocket science,there's nothing on the CBR1100 that isn't on another bike.
Honda discontinued the original 43 psi regulator on the '99/00 model and only sell the 01 up 50 psi model. I have also done this but have had other issues for so long now not sure if it ever created a problem,I don't believe it did. In fact Tigerst and a friend did a side by side comparo on it years ago and found it helped.The story is in here somewhere.
Partsguy, you make a fair point about the 'shop' and I agree. However, there is a 'culture' at my local store that makes me annoyed sometimes. They tend to treat customers like cows that they can milk and I'm sick of it. It's really just the owner that's the problem, not the mechanics/technicians.
Moving on, thanks for your info on the FPR. I will pass that info on to Honda. Also, when I looked at my dyno graph, it turns out that it's a Mainline Dyno, not a Dynojet. Sorry. Do you know much about them?
Take care,
Nato.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts