Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

for some reason I have it in my head that from 2003 onwards Honda improved the quality of the reg/rec in the birds and that the later ones were far less prone to failure than the early ones.

is this true or did I make it up?

i haven't gotten around to fitting a volt meter yet and I will but in the last month I've fried a battery and blown a headlight bulb on my '05 bird. I noticed over the weekend although two up the headlight was very noticeable reflected in street signs in broad daylight. It's also running like a bag of manure.

a static test with a voltmeter showed the numbers I would expect but I know sometimes as they are dying they get moody, running OK sometimes and throwing an attitude the next minute.

any thoughts or advice appreciated.

cheers, Keith

·
Registered
350 Posts
It was the 01 on up that had the upgrade as well as the ecu/wire harness. If you have a fair amount of miles on the bike I would change it out. Usually when they go they take the stator and battery with them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I fried my R/R and replaced it with the SH775 mosfet. Very happy with it. For 100 € you can forget worrying about the voltage. Installation is very straight-forward - either install it in the original position & grind off a part of the cooling fins (to avoid interference with the rear cowl) or drill 2 additional holes slightly below the original ones (my preferred option). I wouldn't wait till the R/R dies and takes along your stator or any electronical unit.

Reactions: teef.au

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks for the heads up. I've ordered a Honda genuine for now this close to Christmas to keep riding it. I might get the part you suggest and keep the genuine for a spare.

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
For the sake of your sanity I will answer your question
teef.au said:
is this true or did I make it up?
True in essence but it would be hard to pin to 2003 :smilebig:

The Honda reg/rec saga has been going on for many years on lots of their models (VFR's seemed to suffer a fair bit - or perhaps I have seen an unrepresentative number! Seen it on Fireblades as well) .... but then so did other manufacturers.

Yes the reg/rec is a much talked about 'item of pain' on the Bird .... but in some ways I see this as being a positive point. Easily replaced by the average owner it can be sorted ...... imagine the pain if say 2nd gear was weak and required replacement on a 'regular' basis :sless:

As others have outlined above this can now be sorted with higher confidence than we could 15 years ago when I had my first Bird item go down.

As electronic technology advanced some manufacturers (think Yamaha) adopted it sooner than others, Honda were just a bit late to the game.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts