Honda CBR XX Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Three days and $150 later I have a set of pretty heavy-duty welded alum. brackets to hang lights on. I'm planning on installing them tonight; I painted them black last night...will post some pics. They are bigger and heavier (not too heavy...they're aluminum) than I was originally planning, but that's ok because I have my eye on a pair of 4" HID lights that would need the support.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Job complete. Well, not really complete exactly...the brackets cost me so much to make that I was reduced to a pair of $20 Wal Mart special lights due to budget constraints (also bought a jacket, some pants, 2 pairs of gloves, and heated pant liners this week, so the finance minister was on high alert :) ). It's ok...the lights are surprisingly good for $20...about the same as the $90 Optiluz/Hella's I had on my prev. bike. Anyway...here is a little photo essay of the project. I'll post up again in a few weeks when I get around to putting some _real_ lights on there. I'm thinking LED would be better than HIDs, for electricity conservation reasons. We'll see.

This is the very high tech template I made to dring to the fabrication guy. Note the use of the Diet Coke box...clearly this would have come out better had I used a Diet Dr. Thunder box instead, but me no gots. For shame. The pic below is just to illustrate the general idea for the guy making them, so he had some idea what I was talking about.

This is what it looked like transformed into aluminum. I forgot to get pics when I first picked them up, but the dude (Dwayne at Classic Custom Cycles in Murfreesboro, TN) gave them to me in a perfect sand-blast ready-to-paint finish. I painted them black using the same Rustoleum 'hammered' finish spray bomb I did my rear wheel with a couple weeks ago.

Here are a couple of pics of the lights bolted up, before I did any wiring.

I don't think this pic needs any explanation. Let's just move along...

Here they are, all done. I am glad that the brackets are heavy-duty, because if I end up with the HID's they'll support them fine. the ones I have in mind have integrated balasts, so they are a little heavy. I mentioned the LEDs earlier, and they are super awesome. But, the HIDs are less than half the price of the LED lights I like, so while I like the LEDs, HID seems more likely to happen. Anyway, enough talk of god lights. Here are some pics of cheapo jobbers.

You can really see the blue tint to the HIDs on my bike in this pic...I hate that. They came on it, but replacing them with 4300K ones is high on my list. While the bluish timt looks cool and announces to everyone that you have HID lights, he whiter light of the lower color temperature is much better for actually seeing things in the dark.

I haven't ridden it yet, as I finished the work at about 4am local time, and it was 49f and raining. Hopefully I'll have a chance tomorrow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
OX-34 Any chance of a head on pic of your lights.

BTW like your Pic's and write up on Aux tanks on the FarRiders forum :thumb: :clap:

Its all good found a pic in another post Cheers

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Whats the thickness of the plate that bolts to the fairing stay? And did you use longer bolts?
The aluminum is 1/4" plate stock. The bolts are already longer, as the bike had the SW Mototec mirror extenders on it when I got it.

·
Registered
CBR1100XX 2004 Black
9 Posts
Hi there is anyone aware that t he pics from this post are not visible?

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Hi there is anyone aware that t he pics from this post are not visible?
I am now! Not sure why they are not visible, possibly the OP deleted them.
On some old threads all the photos disappeared when an 'upgrade' was put in place, this does not apply here since the photos are still present in Post 1.

·
Registered
CBR1100XX 2004 Black
9 Posts
Awesome! Thats what i was looking for.
Are they custom or a 1 off design?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Awesome! Thats what i was looking for.
Are they custom or a 1 off design?
Made them myself back in 2012 after seeing OX-34 setup
Not to hard if you are handy with tools just make a template with some light weight metal to get the bend angles right first. what I did

·
Registered
CBR1100XX 2004 Black
9 Posts
Looks like the same lights I would be using.!
I intend to hang them below the mirror to comply with headlight laws so may require more length + thicker plate.
Did you encounter much flex in your brackets?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts