Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I promise I searched...didn't find anything.

has anyone found or made mouting brackets for aux lights that mount up by sandwiching the bracket between the mirror and the fairing? I had a dude make me some for my old CBR1000F and it was perfect-o! Any help would be appreciated (see pic for example).

cbr1000-2-small.jpg cbr1000-5-small.jpg

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Yes. I have seen them done similar to yours from people around here.
Think members from down under like this mostly.
Prolly because of the wallabees and roos... :p
Have a go at a search with "fog lights", I am sure you'll get a few hits..
:)

·
www.nomartirechanger.com
882 Posts
I promise I searched...didn't find anything.

has anyone found or made mouting brackets for aux lights that mount up by sandwiching the bracket between the mirror and the fairing? I had a dude make me some for my old CBR1000F and it was perfect-o! Any help would be appreciated (see pic for example).

View attachment 30486 View attachment 30487
Put a set of HID's in the housing and you will have no need for the auxillary lights I assure you. Any doubts and yoiu can come to the Bacon Run III in April and view my lights in action.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm with you...have had HIDs on my last few bikes and have them in my car now. The brightness isn't the issue, it's deer spotting on the sides and corner illumination at exaggerated lean angles that I seek. I did try the 'fog light' search again to no avail. I would love to see WarChild's pics, but his site is gone. Bummer.

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
I can't say I have seen a do it yourself guide for fitting lights on here - but since they would not be appreciated by the feds here I haven't searched one out in the past.

That said it would be an easy job to fab up the brackets. The mirrors are held on by 2x M8 (top of head on the size but thery are certainly large enough) bolts with captive nuts / threaded bosses on the subframe. The bolts are approx 55mm centre to centre so there is a good stable base to work from. The threaded bosses also locate the upper fairing which in this application is good since the bosses sit flush/ slightly proud of the plastic so no cutting would be required.
Depending on the mass of the lights (+ wind drag) you might want to think about stiffening up the mounting area slightly ......

Couple of photos of the area - sorry these are the best I have of the subframe - taken at the start of my build.

mount1.jpg mount 1.jpg

·
Registered
14,013 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info folks. The pics are great...pretty much the same situation as the CBR1000F I just sold.

·
Registered
845 Posts
as already mentioned HID's are probably the best option, I'd be concerned about the extra power required to power aux lights on an injected BB, the charging system is already strained and prone to problems I'd guess adding stuff to the load would increse RR and stator problems substancially, a healight bulb is probably the biggest user of current on the bike and having an extra two would just be too much

a 100watt headlight bulb draws over 8amps 45wat half that main beam and low beam plus 2x aux lights would be asking for never ending issues I think.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike already has HID's, and an upgraded output stator and non-original/better r/r installed. It's plenty capable of running extra lights...I do appreciate your concern though.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Hey Doc, just out of curiosity, where do you ride that the light from 2 HIDs is not enough?
I know the low beam pattern is somewhat non-helpful in corners but the HID high beam should make up for that.
What wattage are your headlamp ballasts? If they are 35w, you could step up to 50w units. Heisti claims to be able to fry an egg from 2 kilometers with his.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everywhere it's dark?

Sure, the hi beam will always he;p a little, but it's no comparison to auxiliary lighting. Surely I can't be the only person here who installs additional lighting as a matter of course? Also, if you live in a place where large animals regularly play 'moving obstacle' then you understand that you simply can't have too much light.

·
Registered
845 Posts
lol at this, if you are riding in the dark and HID doesn't do it I'd hang up my boots or stick to daytime riding....seriously you'd have so much light going on there u'd need to wear shades or dare i say it..............................maybe a visit to the local opt....

anyway what ever you feel safe with I guess, my HID lights are better than most cars and if I can't see I SLOW DOWN

jesus if was coming towards you at night with all those lights I might think you're a big rig and go in the hedge to save my ass and if you see that big animal in your lights you're already in it's ass no matter what

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Have you had the bike out at night yet? Geoff does have a point - the light output from a pair of arc lamps is an order of magnitude higher than incandescent halogens, to the point of being obscene. I'm just having trouble imagining a situation where they wouldn't be enough, particularly the higher wattage units.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol at this, if you are riding in the dark and HID doesn't do it I'd hang up my boots or stick to daytime riding
That's fine and completely up to you. For me, if I have an issue that I can improve on to make riding safer, I don't quit riding instead, I just make the changes that make me happy, and I keep riding.

anyway what ever you feel safe with I guess, my HID lights are better than most cars and if I can't see I SLOW DOWN
Again, that's completely fine. If I can't see because I'm leaned over far enough for my headlight cutoff to be an issue, I add light in that area so that it isn't an issue.

if you see that big animal in your lights you're already in it's ass no matter what
Totally not the case. I regularly am able to slow down and take account for deer that are off the shoulder illuminated by my aux lighting that I'd miss seeing 100% of the time without the extra light.

For the record since there is apparent opposition to the concept of aux lighting...I didn't ask in the OP if people thought I should add lights. I asked if anyone knew of pics or parts that facilitate mounting lights to the mirror mounts. Enough with the trolling already.

Thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you had the bike out at night yet? Geoff does have a point - the light output from a pair of arc lamps is an order of magnitude higher than incandescent halogens, to the point of being obscene. I'm just having trouble imagining a situation where they wouldn't be enough, particularly the higher wattage units.
No, I don't actually have the bike yet...picking it up in a couple of weeks.

Folks, I'm aware of the power and awesomeness of HID. I've had HID lights in every vehicle I've owned for almost 10 years now. I appreciate your concern, really I do. However, if the OEM light meets DOT specs (and I'm sure it does) then it has a sharp top cut-off, and does not illuminate the left shoulder area well at all, and won't go far enough to the right either. This is mandated by DOT rules re: headlight coverage/dispersion. If you're happy with the ultra bright HID's in the stock shell and that's it, I'm very happy for you. You've saved money that I will be spending, and your bike looks cooler than mine will.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will say this though...after all the 'why on Earth would you want more light' action in this thread, these XX lights better be the best headlights to ever adorn a motorcycle by half, or I'm gonna be very disappointed :)

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
No, I don't actually have the bike yet...picking it up in a couple of weeks.

Folks, I'm aware of the power and awesomeness of HID. I've had HID lights in every vehicle I've owned for almost 10 years now. I appreciate your concern, really I do. However, if the OEM light meets DOT specs (and I'm sure it does) then it has a sharp top cut-off, and does not illuminate the left shoulder area well at all, and won't go far enough to the right either. This is mandated by DOT rules re: headlight coverage/dispersion. If you're happy with the ultra bright HID's in the stock shell and that's it, I'm very happy for you. You've saved money that I will be spending, and your bike looks cooler than mine will.
I will say this though...after all the 'why on Earth would you want more light' action in this thread, these XX lights better be the best headlights to ever adorn a motorcycle by half, or I'm gonna be very disappointed :)
Easy Doc, nobody is trying to step on your toes.

The HID conversions for the XX are not technically DOT approved as they tend to have too much spread, even if carefully installed to maintain proper positioning in the reflector's focus. Yes, there are some very definitive cut-off points to the low beam, but they are not quite as restricted as the OEM pattern.

Then there is the brute force of them. My high beam, which is a 100w halogen, gets completely obliterated by my 35w HID low beam. In fact, the only way I can even tell my high beam is on is by checking the dash indicator. There will be an HID going in this winter to deal with the cornering inadequacies of the low beam spread.

The bird's stator is a known weak point, as stated earlier, so most owners try to lighten the load, if you'll pardon the pun, on the electrical system.

That said, I'm certainly not judging your decision to add auxiliary units, just curious about the whys of it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Easy Doc, nobody is trying to step on your toes.

The HID conversions for the XX are not technically DOT approved as they tend to have too much spread, even if carefully installed to maintain proper positioning in the reflector's focus. Yes, there are some very definitive cut-off points to the low beam, but they are not quite as restricted as the OEM pattern.

Then there is the brute force of them. My high beam, which is a 100w halogen, gets completely obliterated by my 35w HID low beam. In fact, the only way I can even tell my high beam is on is by checking the dash indicator. There will be an HID going in this winter to deal with the cornering inadequacies of the low beam spread.

The bird's stator is a known weak point, as stated earlier, so most owners try to lighten the load, if you'll pardon the pun, on the electrical system.

That said, I'm certainly not judging your decision to add auxiliary units, just curious about the whys of it.
I think I explained the why's a couple of times, and for sure I do appreciate the warnings about the stator. The aux lights I'll be installing are LED, so when combined with the HID headlight, the two will use comparable power to a high output halogen hi beam by itself.

On a side note, if the spread on the HID conversion bulbs is so great as to significantly overflow the intended sharp cutoff, I will probably remove them, as one of the things that irritates me most driving at night is people who blind me with the glare of their poorly implemented HID conversions. I'm not gonna be that guy. Luckily, you can often address this with newer, shorter HID bulbs that more closely duplicate standard halogen bulbs. I think DDM is selling them now.

So...does anyone else know about mirror-mount light brackets?

:D

·
Registered
845 Posts
quote -So...does anyone else know about mirror-mount light brackets?

is that for putting your lipstick on :) just kidding lol

I sure however you end up you'll have what you need although I must say I'm not sure about LED lights, any I have seen have no distance direction or anything else but let us know how you get on there may be others that need this sort of accessory.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts