Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CBR1100XX in the fastest colour.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, my 'bird is dreadful on fuel. It starts lovely, rides smooth and doesn't use any oil. What's the most likely cause of excessive fuel use?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Analog dash FI? Running a digital dash FPR in an analog dash bike can do this as it operates at a slightly higher pressure. Also, make sure the FPR does not have a pinhole leak which can also dilute the oil as the leak worsens.

Brake drag, clutch slip, too tight chain, bad tires etc. I'm sure you already checked.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If your bird is a 1999 or pre digital dash Fi one, then if every is serviced and a clean air filter then theres not much you can do really, it's all in the wrist, try stay below 5-6000 revs, no need to baby it, but it's an 1137cc bike so they will drink if allowed lol to.
Mines a 2003 on a 04 plate, 32000 miles, I've serviced it to with in an inch of its life since I got mine early 2021.
I disconnected my o2 sensor put a pair of 450 oval delkavics on her and my mpg went to 32-34, ran great but with fuel prices in uk, I bit the bullet and put a new o2 sensor in, now i get 36 city back country and 48 and slightly over on motorway mpg, but I dont think you have an o2 sensor on yours, so the only thing I could think of is a power commander, it mite if turned give you a few mpg back, other people should be along shortly with more info hopefully.
My 2 blades 97 cbr900 got 44-52 uk mpg and my 02 cbr929 did about the same mpg, so I know when I got my bird it was a bit of an eye opener on my mpg lol.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Like fizzy put, if its the 2002 onwards FPR then you mite want to go power commander 3 and tune fuel back, I don't think the earlyer lower pressure Fpr is available anymore.
I have read a few bird owners using a power commander when they fitted the higher pressure FPR, to trim fuel back a little on earlyer Fi birds. I think beestoys knows more on that particular subject.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had a full Remus exhaust on my previous bird and tank range was about 110 miles. It popped on engine braking and sounded awesome at high revs. It was terrible in the long run!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I would still check that the FPR doesn't have a pinhole leak. After a run, pull the vacuum line off it. It must be bone dry. No fuel at all.
Run one tank riding at normal traffic speed. Highway mileage should see 190 miles to low light. I saw 205 once.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think it's probably my wrist! Thanks gents.
it's not your riding style it's inherent with the bike, I have owed bigger cc and more powerful bikes that are cheaper to run hard, sadly no none can bee bothered to tune the bike to see if fuel can be saved. no one's done a dyno tune to compare before and after, my suspicion is the type of injector

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
As bikerian stated. I have 2000 us version. I changed over to a non cali computer and also went to the newer FPR. The FRP bumps the rail pressure up to 50 psi. It helps the bike idle much cleaner and improves throttle response. But it does make it run rich. Even with 2 brothers slip on and a K&N filter I had to take a bunch of fuel out all across the map. It was running mid to high 11's on the AFR meter I had installed. You typically want it around 13.8. With the tune I have in it now I see typically 170 or so to the warning light in mixed traffic. 200 to 220 up on the highway at a steady state 70 to 75 mph.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts