Honda CBR XX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
CBRDEANO,

Thanks for posting that. I can see the pinkish purplish tint (that pugwash mentioned) in your fender and the nose where the light is reflecting . Seems like Magenta is a really complicated colour with multiple shades.

It's really difficult to see colours accurately from web images, but what do you think? Is that first image that I posted
Candy Mythos Magenta ( R-228C ) or Candy Glory Red. I found an auction listing for a Candy Glory Red bike, and assuming that they got the colour description correct here is a Candy Glory Red to compare. it's got to be one of these two because the other Candy Blazing Red red that the XX came in was much redder and brighter.

i have a set of old fairings that I need to paint, and just might do one of these two colours.

Gimmick had this to say about the two colors in this thread. Unfortunately the images posted of the two bikes are not available any more.

"I had a Candy Muthos Magenta and it's a very interesting color in the flesh. Really quite purple. The Candy Glory Red is a nice color, but very different, more bright. Not as bright as the Candy Blazing Red though, from pictures that looks like a firetruck, but I haven't seen it in real life."

·
Administrator
9,530 Posts
It depends on your paint mixers skills. If they're good they can match it. It took mixer 6 shots to get it right. She found out there were actually 2 base titanium colors. And had to mix from there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It depends on your paint mixers skills. If they're good they can match it. It took mixer 6 shots to get it right. She found out there were actually 2 base titanium colors. And had to mix from there.
True enough.

Apparently, Honda does not share the 'recipe' for bike paints, but does for their car paints as dealerships need to touch up and repaint cars whereas with bikes Honda wants you to buy new already painted parts. I can't say for sure whether this is true or not.

What's your opinion/experience on Artificial Intelligence colour matching where they scan your sample and then make the paint with the computers recommendations?

For my old fairings a perfect match would not be crucial as it would not be matching any other parts. My bike is silver currently, and if I decided to change the fairings to red I would still leave the tank silver as red and silver are a good match..

Diverting from the thread topic.
This painter seems to know what he is doing. The colour he used is Mazda's Soul Red Crystal. I was absolutely blown away by this paint when I first saw it on a Mazda 323 parked in the sunlight. (I guess I like Reds). Downside is that it is apparently not very durable.

·
Registered
964 Posts
To my knowledge - and from a guy I trust to do very good paintwork - Honda uses tinted clearcoat.
They lay down a primer.
some colours then require a base coat ( I believe it is silver for the R-228C )
then the colour ( this is very thin and almost like a dye.)
Then they put down layers of tinted clearcoat to get the required shade.

·
BirdDog
595 Posts
View attachment 133984
Wish you could find the correct format for US “XX’s”. No longer in production!
For example, the ‘97 decal kit for ‘mute black metallic” DID NOT have the red stripe “super blackbird” and the rear cowl is LBS “linked braking system” not CBS “combined braking…”. Fortunately I have an OEM set I bought 20 years ago if I ever decided to repaint the bike. Also, here’s a couple more links for DECALS…

STICKERS HONDA BLACKBIRD CBR-1100XX YEAR 1997-1999

CBR 1100XX - Fooqs.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jeremy, A mate dropped my bird a few months back and I needed a new metallic black front cowl; I sourced one from Europe but unfortunately (for me) they shipped a new Iron Nail front cowl instead. Too expensive to send back, but if you’re ever in Oz, I have one here in factory mint condition. Cheers…

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I knew an an industrial colour analyst once who had to teach a computer system to analyse coloured samples to then have it list the colour pigments to recreate that colour match, even from any base starting colour or different base material. Imagine your car dash matched to your woolen carpet in your car interior. Can't use the same pigments in both and expect the same result!

Previously this was done by eye by a 95 year old chap who was on his last legs (hence the computer project). Now he could distinguish between two shades of red way out there in the higher infra spectrum that to me looked identical. The spectophotometer attached to the computer struggled too but could at least detect a difference.

Therefore with resprays, you, the painter and any third party may easily see the final product differently as biologically we're all different (mix of rods and cones in our eyes varies as too do their sensitivities).

So, I'd personally always try to go for OEM replacements were possible else full respray of everything (if budget allows). Even weathering/ aging of OEM paint can make the OEM route uncertain. It all depends upon how colour sensitive your eyes are and indeed the eyes and skill of the sprayer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Jeremy, A mate dropped my bird a few months back and I needed a new metallic black front cowl; I sourced one from Europe but unfortunately (for me) they shipped a new Iron Nail front cowl instead. Too expensive to send back, but if you’re ever in Oz, I have one here in factory mint condition. Cheers…
Was that an OEM front cowl? They seem impossible to find these days. At this point I think I'll be going down the road of a full set of fairings sourced from Ebay so China.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sorry, but I can see it Candy Glory Red of '98
Not Muthos Magenta if it is not elaborately tweaked with Photoshop.

And, '06 twotone colour code might be "NH-167M" instead of "NH-167D".
(both can be right, according to several S/M resource published to different areas)
Did nobody notice that the XX in my first post is standing upright without a stand against a blank background? :)
A photshopped studio image for the magazine article, for sure! Probably supplied to the Media by Honda.

This shows Arnold de Graaf's 1997 bike which would be a Candy Muthos Magenta as he says it is a 1997.

and this is Candy Glory Red 2001 posted on a forum

Quite frankly, I cannot distinguish between them from web images. Seeing them for real would probably be a different cuppa tea! Both gorgeous colours.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I knew an an industrial colour analyst once who had to teach a computer system to analyse coloured samples to then have it list the colour pigments to recreate that colour match, even from any base starting colour or different base material. Imagine your car dash matched to your woolen carpet in your car interior. Can't use the same pigments in both and expect the same result!

Previously this was done by eye by a 95 year old chap who was on his last legs (hence the computer project). Now he could distinguish between two shades of red way out there in the higher infra spectrum that to me looked identical. The spectophotometer attached to the computer struggled too but could at least detect a difference.

Therefore with resprays, you, the painter and any third party may easily see the final product differently as biologically we're all different (mix of rods and cones in our eyes varies as too do their sensitivities).

So, I'd personally always try to go for OEM replacements were possible else full respray of everything (if budget allows). Even weathering/ aging of OEM paint can make the OEM route uncertain. It all depends upon how colour sensitive your eyes are and indeed the eyes and skill of the sprayer.
I had a friend who had a very droll sense of humour, and he once remarked to me in connection with the hideous (to the two of us but obviously not to the office owner) purple paint colour on somebody's office walls, that some people's sense of taste was only in their mouths. The biological difference that you mention applies to all the senses, hence 'Different strokes for different folks'.

·
Registered
32 Posts
CBRDEANO,

Thanks for posting that. I can see the pinkish purplish tint (that pugwash mentioned) in your fender and the nose where the light is reflecting . Seems like Magenta is a really complicated colour with multiple shades.

It's really difficult to see colours accurately from web images, but what do you think? Is that first image that I posted
Candy Mythos Magenta ( R-228C ) or Candy Glory Red. I found an auction listing for a Candy Glory Red bike, and assuming that they got the colour description correct here is a Candy Glory Red to compare. it's got to be one of these two because the other Candy Blazing Red red that the XX came in was much redder and brighter.

i have a set of old fairings that I need to paint, and just might do one of these two colours.

Gimmick had this to say about the two colors in this thread. Unfortunately the images posted of the two bikes are not available any more.

"I had a Candy Muthos Magenta and it's a very interesting color in the flesh. Really quite purple. The Candy Glory Red is a nice color, but very different, more bright. Not as bright as the Candy Blazing Red though, from pictures that looks like a firetruck, but I haven't seen it in real life."

I would call it lovely :LOL:

·
Registered
'06 and '04 bird
62 Posts
Did nobody notice that the XX in my first post is standing upright without a stand against a blank background? :)
A photshopped studio image for the magazine article, for sure! Probably supplied to the Media by Honda.

Quite frankly, I cannot distinguish between them from web images. Seeing them for real would probably be a different cuppa tea! Both gorgeous colours.
Hi, CB

Sorry, I was stupidly wrong :poop::cry::poop:
I post my previous message without visiting the site you listed.

There ARE "Muthos Magenta" pic and "Glory Red" pic severally. And they are physically different individuals, not photoshopped, even if they might have been published by official Honda. (the position of the brake rotors holes are different)

I once owned '99 FI Glory Red as my first Bird, and would often enjoy watching it from many angles.
With that memories, I've judged the first picture of this thread to be "Candy Glory Red"... sorry.
And also I forgot to turn off "Night light" button (strength: 60) on Windows11.

But I could see Muthos Magenta more like pinkish purplish quite as you mentioned ;)(y)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi, CB

Sorry, I was stupidly wrong :poop::cry::poop:
I post my previous message without visiting the site you listed.

There ARE "Muthos Magenta" pic and "Glory Red" pic severally. And they are physically different individuals, not photoshopped, even if they might have been published by official Honda. (the position of the brake rotors holes are different)

I once owned '99 FI Glory Red as my first Bird, and would often enjoy watching it from many angles.
With that memories, I've judged the first picture of this thread to be "Candy Glory Red"... sorry.
And also I forgot to turn off "Night light" button (strength: 60) on Windows11.

But I could see Muthos Magenta more like pinkish purplish quite as you mentioned ;)(y)
Hi BH,

Not stupid at all and not necessarily wrong. Your post was helpful as it got me looking at the other red and as far as I am concerned the two colours look so similar in web images that I cannot distinguish them apart. I have the 2001 Acurate Silver Metallic colour which a lot of people say shows the XX lines the best, but for me it is a boring colour. The Candy finishes have more appeal to me.

·
Registered
'06 and '04 bird
62 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

I hijacked the op's thread. Sorry for confusion but at least they know what label to look for.
It was me who stick '06 topic into this thread. Still I think it's okay going on, for it's productive discussion covering Birds' colour matters ;)
(To Admins, if it's not appropriate, just instruct me for branching, thx)

I have the 2006 iron nail paint scheme. I assume the paint code is for the base silver?
Anyone have a clue what the darker grey paint code would be or are these just unobtainable transfers?
View attachment 133985
I have quite the same label on my '06 :)

NH-167M-U might be the base silver.
And the darker parts are realized with big decals as you know.
The darker grey paint code might not be officially provided...
(You need manual mixing to copy the colour for twotone painting)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

It was me who stick '06 topic into this thread. Still I think it's okay going on, for it's productive discussion covering Birds' colour matters ;)
(To Admins, if it's not appropreate, just instruct me for branching, thx)

I have quite the same label on my '06 :)

NH-167M-U might be the base silver.
And the darker parts are realized with big decals as you know.
The darker grey paint code might not be officially provided...
(You need manual mixing to copy the colour for twotone painting)
Many thanks for the link. I have never seen the big bottom triangular transfer on a parts diagram before. At that price you wouldn't want to be getting it in the wrong position or a big air bubble behind it. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just for information, a full respray on my bike was 4 x 500ml cans of primer, 6 x 300ml cans of blue, 3 x 500ml cans of lacquer, 1 x 500ml black. I didn't record how much orange as I used vinyl stripes originally and painted those later.

·
Registered
'06 and '04 bird
62 Posts
I guess these six colours are all that we got

Independent (non-Honda) supplier in Japan fyr ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Independent (non-Honda) supplier in Japan fyr ;)
Thanks, but the website does not translate to English on Google Translate. :( Also, freight costs from Japan to Canada would be a killer.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts