Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow fighter pilots! As part of my "New Monster II" project I decided to make a pair of Crashwings. So, to start I must do the "usual" warning stuff! First off, would like to thank Mallow1 one of our members for his many inspirations for my rebuild(Including Beestoys, XXguy, fizzy just to name a few...) and to create these cool wings! They're actually fashioned from Harley foot pegs! Thanks Malo!

Okay so the usual stuff!!!

PLEASE NOTE! THIS MODE IS PRIMARILY TO PROTECT BODY PANELS.

THIS IS A DIY MODE! YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MODES YOU ADD/MAKE TO YOUR BLACKBIRD! INCLUDING THESE CRASHWINGS.

I must agree with Mallow1 in that regular crash bars/cylindrical bars are really ugly! So after mulling over it a bit I decided to make my own crashwings. In the end they should look something like this...

Bought a square white block of UHMW! Or Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. this STUFF IS solid! AND will not shatter on impact. 7 1/4" X 7 1/4" x 5" - Block weight 8.5 lbs/3.9 kg Cost $36CND/$27US/$21BP Actual dimension will be close to Harley pegs... Actual dimensions will be 7(tapered) X 7(tapered) x 2" tapered to 1". Final product will be wrapped either gloss white with Black stripes or gloss Black with white stripes and should weigh about 3 lbs each... maybe less. Will post pics as I move along...

Crash wing update...
Finally had a chance to work on wings. Rough cuts, basic shape...

Rough cuts, basic shape..

Rough cuts, basic shape. And ofcourse wing would be horizontal not flat.

Rough cuts, basic shape. Right and left wing
Next, give it a slight airfoil, Smooth them out, make 3 bolt holes. then cut two segmented pieces. Then wrap it using Vvivid vinyl. Not sure on colour yet!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello fellow fighter pilots! As part of my "New Monster II" project I decided to make a pair of Crashwings. So, to start I must do the "usual" warning stuff! First off, would like to thank Mallow1 one of our members for his many inspirations for my rebuild(Including Beestoys, XXguy, fizzy just to name a few...) and to create these cool wings! They're actually fashioned from Harley foot pegs! Thanks Malo!

Okay so the usual stuff!!!

PLEASE NOTE! THIS MODE IS PRIMARILY TO PROTECT BODY PANELS.

THIS IS A DIY MODE! YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MODES YOU ADD/MAKE TO YOUR BLACKBIRD! INCLUDING THESE CRASHWINGS.

I must agree with Mallow1 in that regular crash bars/cylindrical bars are really ugly! So after mulling over it a bit I decided to make my own crashwings. In the end they should look something like this...
View attachment 128905

View attachment 128906

View attachment 128907

Bought a square white block of UHMW! Or Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. this STUFF IS solid! AND will not shatter on impact. 7 1/4" X 7 1/4" x 5" - Block weight 8.5 lbs/3.9 kg Cost $36CND/$27US/$21BP Actual dimension will be close to Harley pegs... Actual dimensions will be 7(tapered) X 7(tapered) x 2" tapered to 1". Final product will be wrapped either gloss white with Black stripes or gloss Black with white stripes and should weigh about 3 lbs each... maybe less. Will post pics as I move along...
View attachment 128895

View attachment 128896

View attachment 128897

Crash wing update...
Finally had a chance to work on wings. Rough cuts, basic shape...
View attachment 128899

Rough cuts, basic shape..
View attachment 128900

Rough cuts, basic shape. And ofcourse wing would be horizontal not flat.
View attachment 128901

Rough cuts, basic shape. Right and left wing
Next, give it a slight airfoil, Smooth them out, make 3 bolt holes. then cut two segmented pieces. Then wrap it using Vvivid vinyl. Not sure on colour yet!
View attachment 128902
Have you supported behind the side panels off bike where these mount if so where ? I have same bike colour as well
I have the normal crash bungs on front forks and side panels but where its strong behind ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you supported behind the side panels off bike where these mount if so where ? I have same bike colour as well
I have the normal crash bungs on front forks and side panels but where its strong behind ?

There will be a steel plate with the wing mounted to it using the two engine/frame bolts. Only problem is they are NOT at the same level! Left side bolts are roughly 2 inches higher. Most pilots will install round cylindrical crash bar as see in pic. However, I will use the two bolts below that black crash bar. Now imagine, a rectangular steel(with wing mounted on it) plate held in place by those two bolts... Hope that answers yur question!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Also... It's been mentioned a few times by some older members that having the cylindrical crash bar mounted directly to frame as pictured above is a bad idea! That part of the frame is hollow. So a side drop/fall would potential dent the beam!! Not only that but the distance between the cylindrical crash bar and the wing is such that impact would be greater due to drop/fall distance. Ie. In a drop/fall the wings wound come in contact with the ground a hell of a lot sooner than the bar! BONUS!! As a side note, I'm also TRYING to figure out a kool protection system for owners of Beetle bags! Stay tuned!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts