Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998:carb this is my only Transpo and I can't miss any more work.

Make short story. Bike fell over, not hard, slowly on a Moto jack that bled out. The brake resevior was open so got brake fluid fairing. So I washed bike and it started smoking under the seat..

I found a melted wire which I traced to be one of the three green wires that go-to the safety diode in fuse box. It was the green and red wire. The bike has some homestyle electrical on it.

It never had a diode in the fuse box. The safety switches never worked.

At first I noticed that the clock and safety neautral light worked with key off, but not on . the start button.acted the same . Key off it worked. Key on it didn't.

So I wired the start button directly to the battery and to the solenoid, which is not the Honda specified one but an aftermarket. I pulled out the clock fuse and took out the neutral light bulb so to save battery

When I now turn on the bike all lights come on,blinkers work, twilight works, guages work....but I have no spark.

I understand that the safety switch cuts off power to the coils (which are a week old), yet I don't ever remember seeing a diode there and I've ridden the bike quite alot with no problems

Right now all three wires are just cut off, before they were wired into the fuse box, but there was no diode to connect them. So I don't see much difference with the way they were then and now.

Since I wired the start button straight to battery, and to the solenoid so I could actually start it in run position.. I attached to yellow wire. I still have this black wire not sure what went to it.

All fuses are good
Don't have this 50 amp fuse I don't think...bit everything works.
The was no smoke from icm module.

How do I test icm
Does anyone know how to test this icm.

Everything was great before this

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thior,

This really sucks bro… so sorry to hear all of this. Wish I could help (it's beyond my diy level). I trust one of our more knowledgeable members comes to your aid soonest.

Rgds Mallow1

·
Registered
552 Posts
As a noob in electrical field, I do have to say, there is a diode on the bike, and it is in the fuse box, you won't get a spark/start button action unless you put the bike in neutral or pull the clutch in.

The improv wiring you've done probably collides with the oem wiring. Best bet is to strip it down and go wire by wire, by the books.

·
Registered
911 Posts
As far as I can tell, the clutch diode only affects starting. Not running. Looks like you have bypassed this (and the safety features). Ok

Only test I know of for the ECU, or in your case, the carby "ignitor" module (not the same), is to plug it into a correctly running machine and see what happens.

Dodgy ignition switch and/or RHS handlebar switches may cause this type issue. Not trying to be impolite, but If your switches look like your chain, then I would say, clean them and everything else electrical.

Agree with Tom above, improv wiring maybe colliding with OEM wiring.

First pic, were these wires always cut ? 2nd pic looks like jumped starter solenoid?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This bike was a theft recovery. So I'm sure the wiring has 25 years of idiotry placed apon it.
I "hot wired" the starter solenoid straight to battery so I could at least start it. Well..it turns over, but doesn't run.

I'm thinking my best bet is new harness, solenoid and ICU. That I think would make the bike at least factory. I believe I have enough skill to trace wires so maybe not a new harness, but definitely solenoid and icm.

Do y'all know the probability of a pulse gen failure

And the safety switches, do they kill the starter or spark?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok....my dad always said I was the dumbest smart guy he knew. Who am I to prove him wrong.

I figured the safety wires were all cut so why would safety switches work.

Well...they do. Never worked before...but do now. Kickstand was down when I was trying to get running.

This morning hop on to push it up into the shed and just for shots I hit the starter and it fired right up. Kickstand....Jesus dad was right

1 - 6 of 6 Posts