Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I am wanting to upgrade my birds 98 dash to a digital one. All the information I have found so far has been about birds from 99 which have the same connectors to plug the injection front loom into. Does anybody know if this is possible and if so is there a right up for it anywhere?

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I have done the 99 to 05 conversion and you can read that thread here ===> http://www.cbrxx.com/body-paint-electrical-lights/9447-dash-upgrade-99-05-a.html

Part of that thread shows where i found alot of the initial information from and you can see that here ===> LCD Conversion temp sender - B.I.R.D.

I think that there are still some problems that need to be sorted when doing the carb bikes to digital dashes (mainly to do with the temp sender and temp guage.

But that info should get you stated... Come back to me if you have any questions, no promises on answers though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info uglystick. It was this original post that made me want to do this. I have picked up a 2006 dash, temp sender and front loom. Looks like I will have to chop off the ends of my current loom and wire the front 06 loom in which makes me nervous so was wondering if anybody else had tried. Think I will just have to give it a go when I have 2 days free and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Think I will just have to give it a go when I have 2 days free and hope for the best.
Yep, and that first cut is always the hardest..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, and that first cut is always the hardest..
I thought it was the "deepest"?

anyway...I sad...I actually like the analog dash better :idunno:

however I just noticed when riding my 'Bird a weekend ago(only really about the 5th time I've been on it) that its kinda hard to 'feel' where the revs are....my R1100RT kinda peeters-out as they climb, and grunts when too low...and my GSXR doesn't wake up till almost 9,000RPM then screams at you at 14,000RPM
...but the 'Bird almost feels the same all the way to 10,000RPM which comes up quick and without warning....making me think I should be watching the tach(instead of where i'm going?)

...so just asking...is the digital gauge cluster much easier to use the tachometer ?
....personally I'm wondering if I can find a simple way to have a little 'shift' LED mounted somewhere triggered at 10K

and besides being backlit LCD style: are there any functions the digital gauge cluster has that the analog doesn't ?

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I thought it was the "deepest"?

anyway...I sad...I actually like the analog dash better :idunno:

however I just noticed when riding my 'Bird a weekend ago(only really about the 5th time I've been on it) that its kinda hard to 'feel' where the revs are....my R1100RT kinda peeters-out as they climb, and grunts when too low...and my GSXR doesn't wake up till almost 9,000RPM then screams at you at 14,000RPM
...but the 'Bird almost feels the same all the way to 10,000RPM which comes up quick and without warning....making me think I should be watching the tach(instead of where i'm going?)

...so just asking...is the digital gauge cluster much easier to use the tachometer ?
....personally I'm wondering if I can find a simple way to have a little 'shift' LED mounted somewhere triggered at 10K

and besides being backlit LCD style: are there any functions the digital gauge cluster has that the analog doesn't ?
IMHO yes that why i changed my dash. Its not the digital speedo that i wanted its the larger and centrally located tacho that i wanted.

The only function that the digital dash has that the analogue doesn't is dual trip meters (A and B trip meters).

·
xxx99
837 Posts
I love the old dash because it shows 205 mph :) but now that I have had my 02 for a few years I really do like my tach in the middle...Much easier on the drag strip...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts