Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

The digital clock built into the dash on my bike broken.

Is there a simple way to replace this, has anyone done it? I'm being a bit picky here, I probably won't even use it,
but it's just one of those things.

BTW, my bike is a '97 carbie, with the analog dash. (y)

·
Registered
873 Posts
What do you mean by broken exactly? I think the clock has it's own 12V always on feed, separate from everything else.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi Hawkwind,

Ideas:

1. Simplest is a glue on digiclock over the old
2. next a stick on extra feature gizmo that includes a clock (e.g. TPMS with clock)

3. next, your phone in a holder
4. then OEM replacement (e.g. eBay for used, or Fowler or David Silverman for new...part 37460-MAT-611). Easy enough to do. Nose off, dash out and opened up, couple of screws and reconnect wires… I have a couple dashes off at the mo so can take pics if you like).

5. Then embed #2. to make it integrated and OEM looking.
6. Build your own

I was going down the #6 route using Arduino parts intending to embed a thin LCD display into the dash face of the rev counter (plus using the old clock loc to embed a TPMS).

Built the above prototype (syncs to world clock radio signal so no buttons needed). Below is my mock up of before and after (clock is part of a much bigger dash project)
Then I came across the TPMS with a clock on it so as yet not concluded either while I decide. So short term #2, medium term #4, long term #5.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys,

@Mallow1. You're so thorough, it's amazing! I had considered a stick-on doohickey as the easiest solution, but I do prefer the OEM look.
I might go down the OEM route if the replacement clocks are silly money. It is after all just a LCD digital clock, so, on principle, I refuse to pay through the nose for one. Wasn't sure if they would be available these days, so I'll look into that.

@fizzy. The LCD display seems to be leaking liquid crystal all over the display, making it useless. It still gets power and attempts to keep time.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Youre welcome .

Looks like OEM is silly money new if I recall (e.g. €120… you can buy a whole used dash for that!).

If it's just the LCD leaking, I'll take a peek at mine and see if it's a readily available part in it's own right in the diy electrical world. You may simply be able to unplug and/ solder a direct replacement. Wait one…

I'd offer you one of clock assemblis but at the mo want to keep them to sell on the whole spare dashes once I'm finished my project. If one gets junked/ sacrificed in prototyping, I'd let you have the clock (assuming it still works).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Youre welcome .

Looks like OEM is silly money new if I recall (e.g. €120… you can buy a whole used dash for that!).

If it's just the LCD leaking, I'll take a peek at mine and see if it's a readily available part in it's own right in the diy electrical world. You may simply be able to unplug and/ solder a direct replacement. Wait one…

I'd offer you one of clock assemblis but at the mo want to keep them to sell on the whole spare dashes once I'm finished my project. If one gets junked/ sacrificed in prototyping, I'd let you have the clock (assuming it still works).
120 euros??? That's not just stupid money, that's insane!!

If they're available from electrical suppliers, that would be great and probably more cost effective :)

Thanks again for the advice Mallow1

·
Registered
873 Posts
Impressive looking dash there Mallow. If you can even get 1/4 of that done it would be amazing. I'm trying to figure out what all the symbols mean.....old right hand turn signal is the flux capacitor? and the old side stand indicator is for cactus ahead? :unsure:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hmmm… the clock assembly is easy enough to get to and remove (held into the dash by three screws which act as electrical connectors to the 3 "legs" which also act as the wires (battery, ignition and ground).

The LCD itself is held in a sandwich of a black metal case (crimped onto the pcb by four tabs), then the lcd then a plastic light box). I can't see the lcd and its connections without dissasembly.

If you wish to investigate further along that option I'd suggest taking your broken one out and taking it apart. The lcd manufacturer and part number on it if you are lucky.

Clock assemblies do come up occasionally on Fleabay but they are rare e.g. £15

If not, buy a used dash. Swap the clock out. Resell the rest as parts and you'd prob recover the majority of the cost.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Impressive looking dash there Mallow. If you can even get 1/4 of that done it would be amazing. I'm trying to figure out what all the symbols mean.....old right hand turn signal is the flux capacitor? and the old side stand indicator is for cactus ahead? :unsure:
Yer I've prob bitten off way more than I can chew!

Cactus ahead 😂 is going to be my USB master switch and warning light (I'm making my satnav phone holder Qi wireless charging which I'll make ignition triggered but my underseat USB needs to be able to top up charge my tyre compressor (kept in the tail) independantly so not always on irrespective of the ignition switch).

Flux capacitor… you know, I've totally forgotten!

Some of them are totally doable;
  • got the bits and built a working clock for the rev counter facia.
  • got the parts for the in facia voltmeter but not programmed the arduino yet. I do have a donor program as a starting point though.
  • got the parts for the gear indicator (a datatool one… all ready to wire into the dash housing I just need to swap the datatool 7-segment display, which is huge for the miniature version I bought… need a steady hand to solder that)
  • build the flexible solar panel trickle charger for the underside of my double bubble screen. Need to find a better MTTP controller though. The one I have is too bulky.
  • not ordered Bees cruise control yet
  • done the heated mirrors (inc thru mirror chevron indicators…. though I've now found a flowing set so need to undo that)
  • not started to build the prototype folding powered wing mirrors yet but do have all the parts though I suspect I may change cables for hydraulics once I start testing
  • heated seat done
  • got all of the custom warning lights and indicators (invisible until light or at least supposed to be)
  • TPMS bought, stripped and ready to go inc inbuilt recharging.
It's all just a bit of a slow burn. Now you have me worried… what's the flux capacitor for?! Which project have I forgotten?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts