Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I delinked my ST1300 and found that by drilling through the middle cylinder to the outer cylinders oil passageway I got better leverage.
The brake lever moves a little further to engagement then has very good feel. Basically takes less hand effort.
I will be delinking my Blackbird. For starters I’ll follow suit with the standard way I see here.
Has or is anyone here running 5 pistons up front on a delinked bike?
Is the idea moot because running four provides excellent feel and brake lever effort?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,375 Posts
As soon as you drill either one your going to have to change out the master cylinder. Or your ratios will be wrong and your going to mess up the feel and stopping ability.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ausblackbird

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
I've heard this so many times now about delinking and needing a bigger m/cyl. I don't get it, I delinked and ran my own custom cables to frt calipers and never had any issues with feel. I ran a double line off the master, then teed each line to 2 lines going to both banjos on each caliper.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,375 Posts
Just recommended because of the piston displacement changes. It generally creates a higher resistance at the lever. I know the rear definitely does.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,666 Posts
Just recommended because of the piston displacement changes. It generally creates a higher resistance at the lever. I know the rear definitely does.
Agreed. Perhaps your needs are slightly different to the average rider @Partsguy :)

When I was building Duck I ran the front with 2 lines (still do but the brakes are totally different now) and the front was 'acceptable', the rear was horrible, which was when I prepared many pages of maths and lots of spreadsheets to sort out why the brake was so bad and a m/c change at the rear was necessary. A change at the front does give a better feel as well but a good grab of the lever will give you enough brake.

The problem with the mathematical solution is that it is impossible to quantify accurately the contribution that the LBS makes to the clamping force at the disc (front or rear) when you want to make a comparison. Without that you cannot say that the 'feel' (let alone the force) will be the same. The other thing to consider is the balance between the front and the back. Our annual safety check measures forces at the front and the back and the force at the rear has to be a minimum % of the front. I know not everywhere has such a check and people don't tend to use the rear brake much but get it wrong in the UK and your bike is off the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
Rear was not as much a concern, this was when I was still on the street so I did need some brake force on the back.I took a short cut and blocked 1 hole and ran a single line to the other. Once you pass safety here you never have to again until its sold.But seriously,the front felt fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Cheers sirbike,

Have a google at JAWS delink kit for the BB....... they show where and how to drill those calipers to allow all pistons to work properly and not cause reduced breaking effort...... I was looking at de-linking my BB just so it is a 1 person job to change the brake fluids, but then along came covid and I didn't order the kit........ Their de-link removes about 10kg of hardware and of course you lose the combined effect of the DCBS system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers sirbike,

Have a google at JAWS delink kit for the BB....... they show where and how to drill those calipers to allow all pistons to work properly and not cause reduced breaking effort...... I was looking at de-linking my BB just so it is a 1 person job to change the brake fluids, but then along came covid and I didn't order the kit........ Their de-link removes about 10kg of hardware and of course you lose the combined effect of the DCBS system.
I spent more time and money on this bike than expected. Warped right disk resulted in accidentally ordering two Galfer disks with pads.
I was going to let it be linked but there was a blockage leading to the outer rear pistons. Couldn’t vac anything and the bleeder nipple was fine.
So I capped off linking lines, drilled the rear caliper to run three pistons using the one stock line.
Then I found the lower front right piston discolored. Then I noticed the caliper halves didn’t fit flush to each other. Looked warped. Ugh.
Reached into a spares pile and pulled out a right ST1300 caliper. It fit!
For now I am using the outers up front with stock line. Secondary master cylinder is filled with fluid and capped.
I got in a 70 ride yesterday.
New to me bike Six weeks ago.
I’ll do it up neat with the Jaws kit and connect on front center piston this winter.
Time to ride.
130063
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top