Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an easy 20 minute job. I got these LEDS on Amazon $13.50 for six , so you get two extra馃槑. They really brighten up the Dash, come in different colors, so I got green for this bike.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fender Gas Font

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remove windscreen and the pictured dash moldings. Don鈥檛 forgot to remove the two push pins on the molding.
Bicycle part Automotive exterior Electric blue Auto part Font

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next, remove the center 10 mm nut holding the dash and push it forward slightly. This gives easy access to the four bulb holders.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now you鈥檒l see four large bulb holders. They twist out easily. Remove one at a time and remove/replace with new bulbs. I did not use the ones Amazon provided. I used my originals. These bulbs are polarized ( not an Electro wizard). When you reinstall it turn lights on, if it lights up great if not Turn it around it should light.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I took out mine you could see the 24 yrs of dust dimming the emitted light. Sorry it doesn鈥檛 show in the pics well
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Plant Grey Liquid

Automotive lighting Hood Fluid Bottle Liquid

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After last bulb is installed turn on lights to check and then reinstall 10 mm nut , two molding pieces with push pins, two bolts for moulins an then your windscreen, and鈥.. your done 馃槅
Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Steering wheel Motor vehicle

Speedometer Odometer Gauge Tachometer Trip computer

Registered
Well done. I'm coming up to replacing mine shortly (two are flickering so either failing connection or bulbs on the way out). Great to have a refresher esp reminder re polarization. I hadn't realised first time round so almost junked a few unecessarily.

I prefer green too. What wattage (or equiv wattage) did you go for? The last set I bought aren't as bright as I'd like.

Registered
Good job. I could do with replacing my original dim bulbs, could you put up a link or advise on wattage. Thanks.

Older wiser and sorer
I just did the same with LEds. I had to clean each track on the back of the panel board for the contacts to cconnect properly. Initailly thought I had bung LEDs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heres a copy of the Link on Amazon..................the specs say 1 WATT.
WLJH 194 Led Bulb PC195 PC194 PC168 Car Dashboard Instrument Panel Bulbs 168 2825 T10 Led Twist Socket Locks Dash Lights Gauge Cluster Led Super Bright (Green,Pack of 6)
4.1 out of 5 stars 995 ratings

| 134 answered questions

List Price:$15.99$15.99 Details
Price:$13.99$13.99 ($2.33$2.33 / Count) & FREE Returns
You Save:$2.00$2.00 (13%)

Registered
I think the original filament bulbs are 5Watts. I went led rated at 7Watt (filament equivalent as of course leds don't actually draw that but its a short hand to parallel brightness) and think they should be brighter still.

Perhaps we need to hear from others re wattage equivalence or better still lumens. Too bright re led will ruin night vision. Too high wattage on an old school filament risks melting something.

I suppose I could try 15watt dimmable leds? I'm sure they're out there. Just a thought!

Registered
1998 Blackbird
I rarely ride mine in the dark these days since retiring and being a wuss, she gets wrapped up for the winter months but I am tempted to go green just for the looks.

Amazon here I come.

Registered
馃弽Bird 1 - Carb 1998 馃弽Bird 2 - Carb 1998
I have done the same to my Bird2 but not happy with the result.
The 5W leds are too bright in my opinion to the extent that they reflect too much on the screen shield.
I have tried the amber but was too yellow, the white ones turned out to be massively blue :)

I was looking for a more smoother light amber bulbs.

Registered
The set I currently have in mine are RGB adjustable. Not knowing what colour I wanted I went for bulbs that can be made different colours. They use a remote control to change the colour. I settled on green in the end. You could try the same experiment.
They are also dimmable (though I have them set to max ).

I bought them 5-6 years ago and the amazon link isn't valid anymore. I'll try to show something similar.

Administrator
Agree Put LED's in mine and haven't looked back. Just make sure you get a good quality. I order all of mine from Superbright LED's

Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Light Tachometer

Registered
馃弽Bird 1 - Carb 1998 馃弽Bird 2 - Carb 1998
This is how mines look at the moment on Bird1.
They are too bright to the extent I can't even see the N or indicators arrows :)
I tried several eBay models.

Will search for Mallow1 suggestion to give it a go.

Speedometer Gauge Tachometer Fuel gauge Odometer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts