Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I mentioned before about the seemingly crazy high cold idle speed
I had bought a 2nd hand complete intake system in germany and spent yesterday getting to know it
Its a marriage of electronics with ancient idle up device
On mine the cold idle speed is 2600 rom which on a stone cold engine is very very bad
So i looked at ways to adjust this to a sensible level like 1400 or so
The kehin system is bade socas to block all attempts at user adjustment unless you take it completely apart to :
Either
get at the nut
Or
Remove fixed setting air valve nr3 and replace it with an adjustable one
Or
File the" wax unit " ( actually a copper bi metallic insert ) with a push rod
Housing to push it in
All a lot of faffing about
So after sleeping on the issue i decided to make a longer push rod so as to partly close the air valves
Having measured the throw of the rod i made 3 different rods with 3 mm increments
Ill try the shortest today and see what my base line cold idle is ..and report...
Paul

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So work done
Std 15 mm push rod changed on my 2 efi's for a 3 mm dia rod at 17.5 mm long
The cold idle is at 1500 rpm and settles to 1100 warm idle after about 2 minutes
Almost like a car
Job is not hard to do but the 3 phillips screws are .... tight and may need mole gripping
Paul

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
So work done
The cold idle is at 1500 rpm and settles to 1100 warm idle after about 2 minutes
Almost like a car
Job is not hard to do but the 3 phillips screws are .... tight and may need mole gripping
Paul
Philips screws? JIS screws. Proper screwdriver gets them out easy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So work done
Almost like a car
Paul
Salut Paul.
Nice job.
I have this high cold idle rev too.
I have changed the set of Oring in the wax box, nothing changed.
But agree, the wax house Philips screws and the fixture scews where tough to snap loose, looks hugly screw head now.

Could you illustrate more your homemade rod? Picture or drafting or catalog drawing with your hand draft?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Patoo, do not use a Philips screwdriver on those screws if they are tight. If you do the heads will round out. Use the proper JIS bits.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Salut Paul.
Nice job.
I have this high cold idle rev too.
I have changed the set of Oring in the wax box, nothing changed.
But agree, the wax house Philips screws and the fixture scews where tough to snap loose, looks hugly screw head now.

Could you illustrate more your homemade rod? Picture or drafting or catalog drawing with your hand draft?

Thank you.
hi Patoo
the detail on the length of the pushrod is above and it works ive done it on 2 bikes
note a small increase in the length decreases the cold idle a lot and a small decrease the same
i used cap head screws and threw the cross head ones away
let me know how you get one
paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts