Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks.
Last time I was putting some of my BB cowls back on I got myself knotted-up.

When it comes to the inner half cowl (V shaped cowl below radiator), how do others get this back on when reinstalling the lower cowls?

What's the steps you take?

To clarify, I'm just asking about the steps you take to reinstall the 2 lower cowls and the V shaped cowl. The manual is baffling. Thanks kindly, sorry if it's been covered elswhere here.

·
Registered
738 Posts
First off, make sure you have enough push pins. They break and seem to get lost easily. Also, ensure all the parts are at least room temperature to make them as flexible as possible.
The trick is to engage the small post on the side panel with the hole in the front V panel. First time I disassembled the bodywork on my bike I found this was not done.
(From memory)
Tape an upper bodywork screw to an allen key (the long length side, so you can spin it with your fingers).
Use foam/towel/pillows etc. next to bike to hold one side panel more or less in place.
Get V piece into place and engage small post.
Hold parts steady with one hand while attaching prepared screw with the other.

Side note: I used 2x 1/4" plastic nut and bolt instead of push pins underneath where 2 side panel meet because the pins always fell out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're a surgeon Fizzy! Well done. Full points for thinking outside the box.
When you say post and hole, are you talking about the hole that is rubber-lined?
Good idea with the plastic bolts underneath.
Thanks for your post Fizzy, very interesting and ingenious process.
Anybody else 🙏 ?

·
Registered
738 Posts
If I was a surgeon there would be a trail of bodies.
Yes, rubber lined hole, sounds right.

·
Registered
293 Posts
:ROFLMAO:........ I just removed my fairing cowls after finding a hairline crack in my upper nose cowl (I think it has been there for 3-5 years. Looks like an impact strike - the chip/crater is the start point for a 'Y' shaped hairline crack).........

The inner 'v' cowl is a bugger to get back in..... I loosely mount one side cowl then fit the 'v' cowl into place (it will sag down, but the pillow idea is a good one!), then loosely mount the other side cowl making sure I have captured both cowl pins with their rubber coated holder's. I loosely nip all screws and check the fairing feels and looks solidly mounted in place (no gaps or bulges)..... then I tension the screws up evenly....... it's not hard but it is time consuming as I don't want to break any plastic mounts by rushing.....

I lost the pin that holds the lower mount under the drive sprocket decades ago and have been using a rubber stretch grommet... but it failed last month when I did the big fluids service, so I just leave it as it doesn't move about anyway.

Some of the plastic push lock pins broke eons ago so I cut down some automotive screw-lock pins (from supacheap etc) to secure the 'v' cowl (I use a long shaft cross tip screwdriver set I bought cheap from Aldi)...... make sure it is fitted properly at the top (it's a bitch, torch in mouth, on knees, looking up under the headlight, but you don't have to take it off for a long time unless, like me, you spot something you missed when you last had it off........ :rolleyes:

I think I'll try to make a support bracket so I can run 'naked' for summer....... something more secure than cleverly positioned zip ties, but not as expensive as a pro half cowl conversion........ :unsure:

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,579 Posts
Dave, I'm so tempted by that pro half cowl. Easier removal, cleaning, heat, and also i do very little wet weather riding now.
I fixed a couple of cracks by using a permatex plastic epoxy with wire gauze behind the crack..
There is a push pin from supercrap that does match the OEM, but bugger me if I can remember where I put the box.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cheers mate,

My nose cowl has a crater from the stone strike which started the crack (pity the stone hadn't struck the headlight lens which has a thick protector film....:rolleyes:). So the purple/blue decal was already damaged and now part of the crack has also broken through - that's probably why I didn't see the crack until now......it was hidden for years by the decal until it finally broke through.

I bought some Loctite 'all plastic' super glue which does ABS and also PP and PE plastics, so I think I can repair the split - bracing might be difficult as it is between the headlight mount lug and the tip of the high beam lens, but I'll work something out as I'd hate to have to pull it all apart again......

I'll have a wander through Supadear and see if they have my colour, and also some plasti bond for reinforcement, but I'm hopeful I can seal the split neatly without gluing my fingers to the cowl :LOL:.

I left my shopping cart open with the half cowl and Webike has sent an email advising a discount price offer...... but there will still be no stock for 3 months so there's no rush to commit funds to an order....... I might come up with a rough DIY bracket that will hold the upper cowl steady (but not win any beauty contests) for summer.

I sure would like a set of A-Tech half cowls though...... they'd get my money if they had stock before Xmas. (No word back from local Jap parts importer, as expected....). But I am conscious of spending too much on a retired bike - I could just ride it early in the mornings over summer........ if I were commuting, the half cowls would earn their price quickly.

(y) PS The AMHP protector cowl on my SDGT has taken a hit (in October) and has a big Y split, so there must be a few trucks dropping stones now after 45 years of wondering why I buy headlight protectors.......... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Nato

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, I'm so tempted by that pro half cowl. Easier removal, cleaning, heat, and also i do very little wet weather riding now.
I fixed a couple of cracks by using a permatex plastic epoxy with wire gauze behind the crack..
There is a push pin from supercrap that does match the OEM, but bugger me if I can remember where I put the box.
Peter, are you referring to the A-tech cowls on webike that Dave recently discussed? If so, I'm starting to think we should do a group buy. Thoughts? Might save on frieght.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers mate,

My nose cowl has a crater from the stone strike which started the crack (pity the stone hadn't struck the headlight lens which has a thick protector film....:rolleyes:). So the purple/blue decal was already damaged and now part of the crack has also broken through - that's probably why I didn't see the crack until now......it was hidden for years by the decal until it finally broke through.

I bought some Loctite 'all plastic' super glue which does ABS and also PP and PE plastics, so I think I can repair the split - bracing might be difficult as it is between the headlight mount lug and the tip of the high beam lens, but I'll work something out as I'd hate to have to pull it all apart again......

I'll have a wander through Supadear and see if they have my colour, and also some plasti bond for reinforcement, but I'm hopeful I can seal the split neatly without gluing my fingers to the cowl :LOL:.

I left my shopping cart open with the half cowl and Webike has sent an email advising a discount price offer...... but there will still be no stock for 3 months so there's no rush to commit funds to an order....... I might come up with a rough DIY bracket that will hold the upper cowl steady (but not win any beauty contests) for summer.

I sure would like a set of A-Tech half cowls though...... they'd get my money if they had stock before Xmas. (No word back from local Jap parts importer, as expected....). But I am conscious of spending too much on a retired bike - I could just ride it early in the mornings over summer........ if I were commuting, the half cowls would earn their price quickly.

(y) PS The AMHP protector cowl on my SDGT has taken a hit (in October) and has a big Y split, so there must be a few trucks dropping stones now after 45 years of wondering why I buy headlight protectors.......... :rolleyes:
Thanks for that Dave. Glad I'm not the only one that finds putting the V cowl back on a bit fiddly.
Also Dave, is the headlight lens made of plastic, or glass?

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,579 Posts
Peter, are you referring to the A-tech cowls on webike that Dave recently discussed? If so, I'm starting to think we should do a group buy. Thoughts? Might save on frieght.
If I did, it wouldn't be next year sometime. Building a garage and shed at moment that have maxxed me out $.. Then the first job in garage will be completer replacement of all brake lines, K&N filter, and a few other things. It is very tempting though. If you do decide to go ahead, let me know at least. As far as webike is concerned though, I don't think a group buy would have any advantage.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Also Dave, is the headlight lens made of plastic, or glass?
Cheers Nato, the oem headlight lens cover is plastic...... my other mates didn't use headlight protectors when we all had BB's, so they got visible "gravel rash" wear on their headlights from years of errrrr quick riding/bugs/dust and gravel chipping....... even though they kept trading their BB's in on new one's before 40k kms.......

I used 'Thin Skinz' adhesive film on mine, which is good, ...but..., it is starting to go yellow after 15 years in place and I don't think it will come off cleanly........ I've been watching "Wheeler Dealers" and they use a hair drier to remove window tinting....... maybe that's a way to remove the skinz and glue, cleanly :unsure:.... or maybe it just creates a new problem..... oh well, it still looks good.

So the good ole perspex cover is probably better (except the attachment system always seems to need extra velcro points). At least a plastic lens doesn't crack as easily as a glass headlight....... and maybe some chips can be polished out with Maguires perspex polish. It all depends on how much and when/where you ride the BB..... mine did most of it's kms as an interstate sport tourer so it was at high speed for much longer than say a weekender/city Bird.

(y)

Reactions: Nato

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
I never have problems with the 'V' piece because I never totally disconnect it. When removing the side panels I take the poppers out from one side only and remove the V piece attached to one of the side panels. On re-installation put the side panel with V piece on first, insert the V piece top 'nose' on the flappy side into the nose cone and pop in a popper, this holds everything in roughly the right place. Attach the second side panel and hold in place with the middle upper bolt. Head to the bottom and bring the two panels together sandwiching the V piece. Install the two poppers. Then install all the other bolts on both side panels.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never have problems with the 'V' piece because I never totally disconnect it. When removing the side panels I take the poppers out from one side only and remove the V piece attached to one of the side panels. On re-installation put the side panel with V piece on first, insert the V piece top 'nose' on the flappy side into the nose cone and pop in a popper, this holds everything in roughly the right place. Attach the second side panel and hold in place with the middle upper bolt. Head to the bottom and bring the two panels together sandwiching the V piece. Install the two poppers. Then install all the other bolts on both side panels.
Yep. Brilliant. Thats how I have done it before Duck. Last time i tried something different and it was a problem. I just wanted to check the forum for alternative methods. Thanks mate.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Nato, the oem headlight lens cover is plastic...... my other mates didn't use headlight protectors when we all had BB's, so they got visible "gravel rash" wear on their headlights from years of errrrr quick riding/bugs/dust and gravel chipping....... even though they kept trading their BB's in on new one's before 40k kms.......

I used 'Thin Skinz' adhesive film on mine, which is good, ...but..., it is starting to go yellow after 15 years in place and I don't think it will come off cleanly........ I've been watching "Wheeler Dealers" and they use a hair drier to remove window tinting....... maybe that's a way to remove the skinz and glue, cleanly :unsure:.... or maybe it just creates a new problem..... oh well, it still looks good.

So the good ole perspex cover is probably better (except the attachment system always seems to need extra velcro points). At least a plastic lens doesn't crack as easily as a glass headlight....... and maybe some chips can be polished out with Maguires perspex polish. It all depends on how much and when/where you ride the BB..... mine did most of it's kms as an interstate sport tourer so it was at high speed for much longer than say a weekender/city Bird.

(y)
Thanks Dave. If you manage to get the plastic protector off, try using duct tape to remove the glue. Just apply the duct tape over the remaining gluey reside and then peel the duct tape off. Glue should then stick to the duct tape and come off...in theory. I have done this on old decals and worked perfectly

·
Registered
293 Posts
:LOL::devilish:....... had all the fairing off to fix a small hair line crack in the nose cowl. While putting it back on I thought, why not make a bracket so I can ride it 1/2 naked over summer....... ;):devilish:

It took a while to rat through all my crap and find some material thin enough, strong enough, yet flexible enough to follow the upper cowl's curves......... found some PCB board I was given by an old radio tech bike rider mate decades ago and thought...... hmmmmm..... this could do the job....... or at least be a template for something better......... and no bending to complicate the process.......:D

Success, though it's not pretty, it is bolt on/off and helped fill in a hot Sunday working on the BB (great therapy!).

So for now my 'V' and cowl lowers stay hanging on the garage wall and my upper cowl is held firmly in place. I'm yet to test it out but it feels solid and cost nothing except a few hours extra assembly time.

I need to do a couple of tweaks today just to finish off and double check there are no nasty stress points on the ABS upper cowl holes, but the basic design seems minimal and very effective........ Sorry Webike San....... if you had stock available I would have bought that half cowl set.....but now I have made my own 1/8th cowl set in time for summer (y)

Stand back, it's not colour matched, so it may cause offence..........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
They don't look too bad semi naked. Can't quite tell from the pictures, but is the sharp corner pointing towards your knees sitting flush or proud waiting to snag you?

·
Registered
293 Posts
:D..... well spotted....... not sure what I'll do with that....... it can bend inwards rather than sitting out near the end of the screw (I've had it sitting like that after the pics)........ anyway I'm about to paint them after trying a reinforcing brace (probably not necessary) and will look at that issue........ I wear knee armor anyway, even in summer, but maybe there's a way of covering the corner....... :unsure:.

Not bad for a 1st idea scratch up bracket....... it holds the cowl steady so that's one tick (y)

·
Registered
293 Posts
:LOL:..... found some scrap plastic in my stash of "might have a use for that one day" items and have devised a cover.

Painting my frankenstein creation so I'll take some pics when ready to install. Dry fit test was positive - the last minute reinforcement panels allow enough flex to fit the cowl curves yet stiffen the bracket, so that was a good idea that actually worked (touch wood)......... (y)

The material I created the bracket from is a weird fiberboard with a glossy coating... flexible yet strong, but brittle when drilling holes or cutting..... not sure what it was made for but seems like it will do the job (time will tell)....... not a show winner but functional ;)......

It was already 31C at 10am yesterday on my mad dash (in my aircon'd car) to :coffee: with the old farts (my ears were burning, so I knew they were talking about me) after the dentist relieved me of another $1760Au for the second crown cap........ ouch, each crown cap procedure costs as much as a used high mileage BB is worth to potential buyers...... o_O... and there are several more caps to come after xmas ! Lucky me.........

(y)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:LOL:..... found some scrap plastic in my stash of "might have a use for that one day" items and have devised a cover.

Painting my frankenstein creation so I'll take some pics when ready to install. Dry fit test was positive - the last minute reinforcement panels allow enough flex to fit the cowl curves yet stiffen the bracket, so that was a good idea that actually worked (touch wood)......... (y)

The material I created the bracket from is a weird fiberboard with a glossy coating... flexible yet strong, but brittle when drilling holes or cutting..... not sure what it was made for but seems like it will do the job (time will tell)....... not a show winner but functional ;)......

It was already 31C at 10am yesterday on my mad dash (in my aircon'd car) to :coffee: with the old farts (my ears were burning, so I knew they were talking about me) after the dentist relieved me of another $1760Au for the second crown cap........ ouch, each crown cap procedure costs as much as a used high mileage BB is worth to potential buyers...... o_O... and there are several more caps to come after xmas ! Lucky me.........

(y)
Thanks for all the posts Dave. Naked BB during summer is a sensible idea. Do you notice any difference on the temp gauge?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cheers Nato,

I ran naked years ago but I can't recall the details...... I'm pretty sure it helps a lot as the main culprit for heat is the close fitting fairing cowls..... although they are designed to flow air efficiently at speed, they do cause the temps to rise quickly in traffic. BB never overheats if the cooling system is maintained and operates properly, but it does get toasty on a summer's day.

If you do want to remove the lowers, the issue is they are an important part of the fairing structure, and simply dropping the lowers will cause the upper cowl to flop and wiggle around and eventually break. that's the beauty of the A-Tech or similar partial cowls...... or if you're in need of 4-6 hrs of fiddling around with the bike..... a DIY set of brackets like I just made.

I have used zip tie's before - strategically placed to reduce any wiggling - but they probably would break through the mounting holes over time....... so be careful redesigning what Honda engineers created....... my BB is in retirement so it no longer cops a flogging (long trips with heavy loads....) so I can do stuff like this as I don't rely on it for daily transport.

I haven't gone for a ride this month so I'll be keen to get out and observe the results of my errrr enterprising creation.... :D......... at least if it works and hangs together, it will make servicing a breeze in future (y)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts