Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've no doubt that the Corbin is significantly more comfortable (I've got one on my VFR). What I am wondering is whether it significantly changes the riding position, i.e. puts you higher/lower, further forward/back compared to stock.
All responses appreciated!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
There are 2 corbins that I know of, regular and "smuggler" for solo only with a flip up cover in back, which is the only one I know.
Actual riding position I would say, very similar to stock. Maybe a little higher. One big difference is that it is very wide, so at a stop makes it a much longer reach to the ground. If you are short of stature, avoid. Otherwise, excellent.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Smuggler: I echo fizzy. Wider between the thighs so can feel sharper edged with both feet down. The onei have feels a harder ride so perhaps mine had some padding removed by previous owner (esp as it's a slightly lower ride than OEM). Construction is "solid" and therefore heavier (tgough that doesn't effect "comfort". Same fwd/backwd position. Good covering so not as slidy compared to OEM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses! Good to know about the riding position. I currently have both the stock seat and a Russell Daylong that was designed for someone a lot taller and heavier than I am; the Russell is way comfier on the butt, but the seating position is quite rough on my back and wrists. The stock riding position works a lot better, hence why I asked about the Corbin. Specifically, it looks like the Gunfighter and Lady is the one I'd want, as pillion comfort over distance is a factor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a good thought - I called Russell and asked them about it. Upon their request, I sent them pictures of me sitting on the Russell seat, as well as the stock seat, to give them an idea of what I want the riding position to be vs what it is now. After looking at them, they concluded that they could bring it down and forward a little (~$150), but that would not get me to where I wanted. The guy it was designed for is 6-3, 265 lb; I am 5-10, 160 lb. It's a huge gap to bridge. To get the position I want, I would have to do a fresh build (~$650). I am not averse to working on my flexibility and strength to get to the point where the ~$150 solution works, but I have no guarantee that I will ever get there. So I am also considering the option of either selling it and buying a Corbin (which from the responses above should be much better suited to the riding position I'd like) or trading it for one.

·
Administrator
9,530 Posts
took a grinder to my smuggler and reshaped it so it's not as wide then had a local lady do a new cover. The smuggler sets lower than stock by a little bit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
took a grinder to my smuggler and reshaped it so it's not as wide then had a local lady do a new cover. The smuggler sets lower than stock by a little bit.
Just did a whole bunch of reading on this yesterday, because I found my Corbin Gunfighter to be a bit low for my 6'1" height.
Generally, lower than OEM by about 1" according to other riders. I have no idea why they do that, unless they assume that everybody wants to be a 'lowrider'.

Grinder. New Cover. Plus your time! Ouch! After paying 'Mucho Dinero' for the seat in the first place.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ok, corbin maybe lower than stock but it is very firm so you don't sink down at all like the stocker so ends up about the same. Also, I lowered the foot pegs and added a higher double bubble screen. Good for me, I am 6'.

Only way to know what will work for you is to try it, unfortunately.

For all the bikes I've owned, I recon to have spent more money on seats, foot peg kits and alternate windshields than anything else.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's a good thought - I called Russell and asked them about it. Upon their request, I sent them pictures of me sitting on the Russell seat, as well as the stock seat, to give them an idea of what I want the riding position to be vs what it is now. After looking at them, they concluded that they could bring it down and forward a little (~$150), but that would not get me to where I wanted. The guy it was designed for is 6-3, 265 lb; I am 5-10, 160 lb. It's a huge gap to bridge. To get the position I want, I would have to do a fresh build (~$650). I am not averse to working on my flexibility and strength to get to the point where the ~$150 solution works, but I have no guarantee that I will ever get there. So I am also considering the option of either selling it and buying a Corbin (which from the responses above should be much better suited to the riding position I'd like) or trading it for one.
I have a Corbin on bird and love it last time I looked was around $1300 Australian dollars that was a while ago

·
Administrator
9,530 Posts
Just did a whole bunch of reading on this yesterday, because I found my Corbin Gunfighter to be a bit low for my 6'1" height.
Generally, lower than OEM by about 1" according to other riders. I have no idea why they do that, unless they assume that everybody wants to be a 'lowrider'.

Grinder. New Cover. Plus your time! Ouch! After paying 'Mucho Dinero' for the seat in the first place.
Yes but worth it. The Corbin stock is just too wide.

Reactions: CalgaryBird
1 - 13 of 13 Posts