895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want my luggage to be:
  • Reasonably theft proof when on
  • Quick & painless to take on/ off
My top box: Givi Maxia E52
Side luggage: Corbin Beetle Bags &
Givi E41 Panniers.

This will also mean swapping between Corbin and Givi becomes quick & painless too
(NB OEM mounting systems aren’t compatible).

The 4 configs I most often use are:-
1 Fun time
(not my bike)

2 Daily commute
(not my bike)

3 Shopping (filtering thru city traffic)
mine

4 Touring
(not my bike)

90% of the time I’m stuck in 3 as I’m too lazy to undo 6 bolts.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The challenges:-
  • The Bags have their own Corbin mounting furniture permanently attached (fixed).
  • The Maxia has its own quick release; can go on a Givi Monorail or Wing Rack (both fixed) or SW Motech Alu Rack (quick release adapter plate but fixed base plate)
  • The Panniers have their own quick release system but the frame rack or Wing Rack are fixed once installed. Relocation/ replacement of rear indicators (built into rack). Not compatible with Beetle Bags
  • Some setups work with the grab rail still in place, others don’t. I like to have my grab rail in place.
The goal: make it all quick release, theft proof and interchangeable
and leaving minimal furniture in place when all luggage is off. The steps I went through are:
1) TOP BOX
2) BAGS
3) PANNIERS

looking at mounting options & quick release (mod’d if nec) step by step.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1) TOP BOX:
  • Givi Monorail for CBR1100xx

Pros: Allows for grab rail and Bag lid clearance even with wide top boxes like my Maxia
    Cons: permanently in place. Not compatible with Givi pannier racks (Frame or Wing).

• SW Mottech Alu Rack for CBR1100xx
    +

Pros: sleek low profile (without top box). Compatible with Givi pannier frame rack and Corbin Bag bolts. Adapter plate is quick release.
    Cons: hard to source, no space for grab rail and allows only for Bag lid clearance with narrow top boxes
    (e.g. one helmet top box, not wider two helmet ones like my Maxia). Not compatible with Wing Rack.

• SW Mottech Alu Rack for Suzuki Bandit
    +

Pros: as above but also positions the top box further back so the grab rail is retained and there is Bag lid clearance even with wide top boxes.
    Cons: relatively hard to source and care re which version is bought (can result in drooping angle to the rear which spoils the aesthetic lines and can mean the top box lid fails to stay up when open). Not compatible with Wing Rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
  • My set up:
  • I went for the Bandit Alu rack: allows for grab rail, Bag lid clearance, pannier frame compatibility,
    my Maxia locks in place (re anti-theft) and leaves minimal furniture once all taken off.

• Tweaks/ Mods:
    • Fixed the Droop: Re-drilled the front holes to raise the rear of the rack to provide an aesthetically pleasing line in keeping with the lines of the bird and ensure the top box lid stayed up when open. I think I was just unlucky to buy a droopy one (balance of availability and cost) as some in the forum don’t seem to have encountered the droop.
    • Disc Lock Mount: I added the bracket for my Abus disc lock to the underside of the Givi adapter plate (and another on the other side to hold my other one). Very convenient place to mount them (clear of the bag lids and readily accessible when wishing to use them). Prob risk of overloading the alu rack mount weight wise so will be watching for signs of stress fatigue (I think 7kg was the max load).
    • Hidden Wiring: I have the Maxia brake light kit installed in my box (see middle picture below). To hide its wiring (which comes out of the bike at the grab rail hidden between the two mounting bolts) I edged the rack with a metal reinforced edging strip. The metal helps it contour round the curves of the edges perfectly and grips to stay in place without gluing.
    • It also opens also up the possibilities to add rear DRLs, turn signals and even alarm auxillary loops should I wish to mess about more along the lines of the third picture below and grrater security.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2. BAGS:
  • Corbin mounting kit for CBR1100xx (replacing grab net bolts)
    Top front

Top Rear

Bottom (exhaust/ footpeg hanger location)

Pros: two out of three per side are inside the locked bags so bags are reasonably theft proof
    Cons: fixed in place (not quick release though in all honesty unscrewing 6 bolts isn’t that time consuming). Givi frame rack footpeg hanger mount clashes with Bags when they in place. Limited clearance to be still able to use the bolts for grab net hooks. Rear bolts need to be longer thread if alu rack or givi monorail are in place

• Bonnet/ Hood Quick Release fasteners (M6 bolt, 2cm head):

Pros: Quick release, race approved (strong, rated at 200 N force I think)
Cons: theft easy, not available in thread sizes to fit BB. Race versions hideously expensive, Chinese cheap copies not convinced strong enough to survive accident?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
  • My set up: Chinese M6 quick release fasteners (Bag side) thread length cut to size locked in place with lock nut into a 4cm hex rod connector (tapped for M6 one end, M10 the other). M10 threaded bar (drilled and pinned once inserted into the connector) for the bike side. The connector then encased in silicon end caps to hide the quick release locking nut and drilled pin securing the M10 threaded bar. Colour matched my bird too.

• Replace:

• With:-
I can’t find my pics of fabrication so the above mock up and pic (below) will have to do for now:

Quick release button caps needed the Bag’s three holes to be widened to 1 cm (using cone drill bit) and spacers added on the inside to prevent the cap thread protruding too far outside the Bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And for the bottom exhaust hanger mounting point just the Corbin bolt needs replacing.

Ball capped thread cut to length and screwed into the thread reducing sleeve inserted in the original mount instead of the corbin bolt, with the button cap then fitted into the Bag itself (again with spacers).

I’m testing them Bags with the quick release in place unloaded first (and with the bottom Corbin bolt still in position) to see how the button fasteners behave in the short term.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 PANNIERS
  • Givi mounts: Wing Rack or tubular frame for panniers

Pros: all options are permanently attached so relatively theft proof (if security bolts used). Looks good.
    Cons: fixed and not compatible with Corbin bags. Relocation of rear indicators may be required dep which version of wing rack used.

• SW Motech Evo rack

Pros: SW-Motech frame system is removable and with quick release bolts. The system can be used with the Alu Rack. 4 brackets/plates are added to existing BB locations and are the only (minor) furniture to remain in place when the luggage and fram are removed. Two brackets are added at the top behind the cargo net bolts, one added at the exhaust pillion peg hanger and one added as a bar behind the number plate. The quick release mounting bolts then attach through additional holes in these brackets. Hence the top two are directly compatible with the Bag bolts. Lockable quick release bolts are available.
    Cons: I need to check the exhaust bracket as I think it clashes with the Bags when they are fitted (it may need to rotate). I also need to check the same re the licence plate bracket re Bag clearance (though like the Bags and the Givi frame mount, it may be possible to only use three mounting points not four). The lockable quick release bolts are ugly and may not necessarily be that effective).

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Set Up
  • I have the SW Motech frames and the first bracket is mounted to the grab rail bolts and shows it ought to work with the quick release Bag bolt still in place (though I’ve yet to truly try).

I’ll post more pics when I move onto the other three mounting points.
    Summary: looks as if all is doable and I’m 90% there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts