Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's coming up time to change the coolant. The silicate and phosphate debate is largely moot because all types seem to be totally free of these additives nowdays.....but, there is two different types available, green and red. The red seems to be for new engines but the Bird still has steel bore liners. The bike is a 2004 model but the design is 10 years old.

Does anyone have any usefull input here?

It also says on a bottle that red and green types should not be mixed. The original fluid in the bike is green. I'm so confused.:idunno:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 97 XX came with red coolant and Honda pre-mix coolant is also red.
I've read that here in a number of threads. Mine is still OEM and it is green???

Anyone know the difference? ...and what happens if you leave traces of one if I change to the other? They say not to mix them but it is impossible to get a 100% flush.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm sure it won't hurt to mix a trace of red with the green,
But from what I've heard the red is supposed to be faster.

X

·
0 Posts
I am happy with Engine Ice coolant. Dropped the temp about 15 degrees in traffic while riding in HotLanta, you know, home of the '96 Olympics.
Unit was flushed with water twice and then filled with Engine Ice. 14 months later and 12K miles, I flushed and filled with Engine Ice again. The color of the coolant was light purple, as a result of the trace of stock Honda coolant that was left in the system, even though I had the radiator off, and had run clear water through the system several times. No harm done , and I will continue to use Engine Ice.:plus1::thumb::plus1:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't seem to be able to get that down here.:crap:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ditto on the extended life, All makes and Models Antifreeze. I use the 50/50 premix and flush the system with distilled water for several cycles to make sure that all the old solution and scum are removed. This usually entailes also removing (and inspecting) the lowest radiator hose as well. I also throw in some Water Wetter for extra insurance.

Warchild did a write up on the proper coolant flush procedure (with pics), a short while back, possibly in one of the other forums.

Perhaps he would care to repost it in the Resource Center tab. :hmm:

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I use a Motul racing coolant and it's fine in this neck of the woods; 30-35 max but low humidity and only inland. I've used Motul for quite a few 1,000's of km and I've had no concerns. I've never used "ice", water wetter or the like and probly wouldn't. I think that those in the very hot regions of N.A. and say, Australia would use a differnt product than those of us in the Great White North and the Northern U S of A. Same with our oil choice, perhaps. Motul is an excellent product, oil, coolant and other products. Think Dakar. Of course, this is just my opinion and it's questionable at the best of times.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I saw a post a couple of months ago. Someone stated that they were using TOYOTA coolant.......same as Honda , but way way cheaper

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
It's not a tractor,:poke: we're not interested in saving $ but the best possible for our Bird.:stirpot: Ps. I'll let you know when I'm leaving for Edmonton and perhaps our "paths" can cross. Cheers

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
It's not a tractor,:poke: we're not interested in saving $ but the best possible for our Bird.:stirpot: Ps. I'll let you know when I'm leaving for Edmonton and perhaps our "paths" can cross. Cheers

Listen here my fine (but miss- guided Canadian brother)

Glycol is Glycol is Glycol...............(ya ya ya there are different type's etc)

BUT

As long as it is used in the propper application , I can assure you that the engine does not care what it says on the jug........

God I wish I had YOUR money......man the things I could do.

Travel more than 30 miles from my farm

Buy groceries

Buy a tooth brush.....and tooth paste

Not have to use the same oil filter for 2 years at a time

Learn to read......

I mean the list goes on and on

:down:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm going to try Evans Coolant Evans Cooling Systems, Inc. High Performance Engine Cooling and Power Production. someone from another forum told me about it. He live here in Phx. If Evans keeps his bike that cool here it must be good.
I also went to a automotive performance shop that sells Engine Ice & Water Wetter. They told me Evans is the best on the market.

Here's what he said;
Evans Coolant... just make sure you get all the water out of your system. I usually will drain the system coolant, then put in distilled water and let that warm up and then drain and repeat. Then put in about 1/2 of the Evans and warm up and drain and repeat, then top off with Evans and you are good to go.
180-190 on the highways and about 200-205 on the streets.
it's a lifetime coolant. I suppose if I notice it getting dirty or contaminated, then I'll change it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up buying this stuff. It says on the back that it "contains advanced long life organic acid inhibitor..." so it is the newer type. On the front (lower right) it says it is "silicate, borate, phosphate and amine free. It can't be free of anything else or it would be just plain water.:hmm: Surely that covers the lot. It is ethelyene gycol, not propylene gycol so it is bad for the environment but it works better.
I bought a few bottles of demineralised watet to flush out the old stuff.

Last chance to warn me of anything wrong.:idunno:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Dave - just wondering if you were OK with that Nulon Red you put in your bike 6 years ago. If all good, I'm about to do the same :)

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Hi Dave - just wondering if you were OK with that Nulon Red you put in your bike 6 years ago. If all good, I'm about to do the same :)
So you think Dave is going to answer a six year old thread do ya? I think those twins are keeping him very busy.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
damoske,

I use the nulon red concentrate in both the birds now for many years and many many km (110k km and 140k km).

K

1 - 20 of 31 Posts