Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks, just wondering if anyone else has had this experience, hypothetically speaking of course. 97 carbed bird, upgraded (Yamaha) reg/rec. A few years ago I had a high speed run maxing out revs in 6th. On a private road of course. About 45 minutes later the battery died - typical needle flicking issue until engine died. Very recently I again had another max speed run (private road of course), and again the battery was dead within 100km, just managed to limp home.

Did a test of the stator - all good, 60V each way. Tested the Reg/rec - outputs looked good. Swapped in a new charged battery, and charging system appears to be working fine - rock solid on 14.4V once above idle. I have a voltmeter but didn't see what voltage it was reading during either run - for some reason my attention was elsewhere. Is it possible that at sustained high revs the reg/rec might just give up and pass a massive load through to the battery and cook it? I'm trying to work out whether this is just a weird coincidence or something causal.

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Leigh
No as long as your topping out at 14.5 or less you shouldn't be cooking batteries. I typically run 14.5 myself on a 30 minute run and haven't cooked mine. I'd get you a fan and fire it up
Roll the rpm to 5k with a meter on the battery. Then hold it there for a minute or 2 and see if it spikes.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have a play with it this weekend, and let you know what I find. Its winter here - not much need for a fan.

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Ok just something to have at rpm
Especially setting still.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts