Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[h=2]ConvertiBARS: Handle Bar Extenders[/h]
Has anyone modified they're riding posture by replacing the original handle bars with ConvertiBARS? I need to change my riding posture to alleviate my back pain during long rides and this modification looks like the answer. They seem to offer a wide range of adjustments to suite the riders needs, but they're quite expensive and appear to be pretty tricky to install. I posted a thread about riding posture last week and appreciate all the replies I got!! Thanks to those who sent me a reply!! If anyone has ConvertiBARS, please share your experiences with me. Thanks!!​

· Registered
1,996 Posts
No personal experience Bill, but guys that I know have them like them. They're not as adjustable as you might think, because there are clearance issues with windscreen and front fairing. Also, all your lines have to be extended except maybe the throttle cables, don't remember that one.

I use LSL bars and enjoy them. The extra width gives me more leverage, which helps a lot.

· Administrator
13,003 Posts
I use Gilles 'convertibars' that I picked up on Ebay. The potential adjustment is endless but as iXXion has said you can have clearance issues in some positions. I have raised the bars and pulled them back a tad giving a slightly more upright position that suits my back .... I could go more upright but that causes me problems on long trips.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Car
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line Engine

· Registered
2,077 Posts
I have the Jaws bars and they suit me and my dodgy back, they aren't particularly adjustable though, ie: they can be rotated forward or back slightly and that's about it. As a comfort upgrade they are great.

· Registered
420 Posts
I have the convertibars and highly recommend them. Installed them several years ago. I would have to say they are the best mod I have added to my bike. The Blackbird is my long distance ride so I wanted it to be as comfortable as possible. I have the bars raised about 6" and don't even notice them anymore and personally I have more confidence riding with raised bars than stock position. It is also a great deal easier to look around and check out the scenery when traveling cross country.
I'm 6'1" Hope this helps

· Play, it makes life fun
2,488 Posts
WildDoktor installed them on his. He has since sold the bike but you could PM him as he pops on here once in a while. The reason he sold it was his back and he was around 6'4"

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
adeyren, Thanks for the post! The Apex 4" Riser Clip-on Set sounds like a good way to go! I went to their website and couldn't find any details about installation on a 97 Blackbird. Did you run into any issues when you installed them on your Blackbird? Did you have to replace the brake lines or windscreen?

· Registered
3,305 Posts
adeyren, Thanks for the post! The Apex 4" Riser Clip-on Set sounds like a good way to go! I went to their website and couldn't find any details about installation on a 97 Blackbird. Did you run into any issues when you installed them on your Blackbird? Did you have to replace the brake lines or windscreen?
As long as you get 43mm fitment size they will fit. I used a set of JAWS extended throttle cables, mines delinked but no issues with the lines and i've got a MRA Vario screen, again with no issues.

· Registered
420 Posts
Bigfoot, Did you need to replace the clutch and brake lines to get the proper adjustments? Thanks for the reply!!
Yes! ALL lines from the bars. If you don't then you are wasting the potential of these bars and as you stated they are not cheap. They were much less expensive when I bought them (under $300). I would recommend looking for a set that does not include the extra length lines/cables because they may not be long enough for your preference and you may be able to get them cheaper that way too. You should replace throttle cables, clutch and brake lines. I went with 3" longer but would go 4" if I had to do again. They are highly adjustable and the extra length makes it much easier to put them up higher and back without making them too taut. They can cause a little restriction lock to lock but has not bothered me. I also have the MRA Vario screen and seems to allow a little more range. If you do get these I would hold off on cutting the length of the vertical riser part till you know where you like them. You might be surprised at how high you like them. As I stated I have mine 6" and would not tour on the bike if not for these. I may eventually look into lowering the foot pegs too. If you haven't already you should do a search on this forum for convertibars. There have been many posts and I know in at least one of them I listed where you can buy the extra length cables and lines. As far as installation goes that depends on your wrenching abilities. I took it slow and methodical not wanting to screw anything up but it is very doable and worth it. As I recall the bars themselves and brake lines were pretty simple. I think the cables took a bit but all came out great.
http://www.cbrxx.com/suspension-tir...lling-longer-brake-lines-convertibar-kit.html

· Registered
291 Posts
Yes! ALL lines from the bars. If you don't then you are wasting the potential of these bars and as you stated they are not cheap. They were much less expensive when I bought them (under $300). I would recommend looking for a set that does not include the extra length lines/cables because they may not be long enough for your preference and you may be able to get them cheaper that way too. You should replace throttle cables, clutch and brake lines. I went with 3" longer but would go 4" if I had to do again. They are highly adjustable and the extra length makes it much easier to put them up higher and back without making them too taut. They can cause a little restriction lock to lock but has not bothered me. I also have the MRA Vario screen and seems to allow a little more range. If you do get these I would hold off on cutting the length of the vertical riser part till you know where you like them. You might be surprised at how high you like them. As I stated I have mine 6" and would not tour on the bike if not for these. I may eventually look into lowering the foot pegs too. If you haven't already you should do a search on this forum for convertibars. There have been many posts and I know in at least one of them I listed where you can buy the extra length cables and lines. As far as installation goes that depends on your wrenching abilities. I took it slow and methodical not wanting to screw anything up but it is very doable and worth it. As I recall the bars themselves and brake lines were pretty simple. I think the cables took a bit but all came out great.
Help with installing longer brake lines in convertibar kit
Hi Bigfoot,

I am planning on fitting Convertibars and getting the maximum 6 inch rise as you did, and about a 4" pullback.
You said that you would go 4" longer on brake, clutch and throttle lines. Is it not better to go 6" longer or would that create a fitting (kinking) problem?

Also, was the OEM wiring harness long enough for the 6" rise after unclipping it from it's mounting points?

I did look at the other thread, and I guess MotionPro are the best for throttle cables. I have seen mention of ST1300 throttle cables fitting the XX and being longer, but I am not sure how much longer they are.

Older thread, but I am hoping that you see this as you have blocked PM on your Profile.

Ross

· Registered
291 Posts
Jaws sorted me our for longer cables when I went bar risers
Thanks Mallow. Do they also make custom throttle cables like Motion Pro? Postage might be a problem across the Pond. It's so easy to get things quickly in the UK because it's small :D Also, it's so much easier to locate small custom builders in the UK as the 'hand built' ethos hasn't gone away totally.

There is also the old fashioned option of buying a kit and making my own throttle line. Kits are available on Amazon and probably elsewhere.

He increased his bar height by 6" but advised increasing all lines by 4". Personally I fell increasing all lines by 6" for a 6" rise and 4' pullback might be the way to go. I am not sure if a 6" increase over OEM will cause kinking, hence my question to Bigfoot57 as he has done the job already.

If I don't hear from him I will fit the bars without removing the cables and hoses from the bottom end and figure it out for myself.

The Canadian HEL brake line dealer is right here in my city so no problem there.

Cheers!
Ross

1 - 20 of 24 Posts