Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm working my way through the clutch problem on my 97 xxv bird. While I was replacing the front sprocket with an ognibene 16t, I also replaced the clutch pushrod. The original one was bent. The clutch is operating much better. However, the noise is still there. When you pull the clutch in, the noise stops. I've ordered a new clutch pressure plate bearing, but it would be much appreciated if I knew of any other parts i may need. It'll save time stripping/re assembling the clutch several times. Thanks, jungle.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Without actually standing next to the bike, they'll make a little noise which will stop when you pull the lever in. Although a bent push rod sounds a bit ordinary. How does that happen! Get a new locking washer just in case.. Wait for other replies!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Without actually standing next to the bike, they'll make a little noise which will stop when you pull the lever in. Although a bent push rod sounds a bit ordinary. How does that happen! Get a new locking washer just in case.. Wait for other replies!
As AusBB said the clutch basket will make a bit of noise when idling in neutral but will go away when the clutch is pulled in as it puts tension on the plates/basket etc ;)
Not a big deal as they'll go forever even with a bit of noise :) Not really much you can do other than replace the clutch basket and it'll likely come back in 20k or so ;)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The springs in the back of the basket which absorb drive impact (for lack of better terminology) seem to wear faster than other bikes, when they do they rattle at idle. You're bent push rod can happen from drag racing, I've bent 2 over the years, mind you it took hundreds of passes.
I just recently received my clutch basket back from being rebuilt.Thought I would try being the first to do this because I CAN FIND NOTHING on it being done before.The springs are not available through the normal sources like MTC,Falicon,Schnitz Racing,Fast by Gast, but MTC was the most helpful. I had to have the springs shimmed is the short story, even though I bought HD GS1150 springs, they are still not as strong as stock CBR1100 springs.
Hope to know soon if it works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas, you've put my mind at rest. I'm still gonna pull it out to check the clutch plates wear etc, the bird hadn't been maintained at all, it's done 74000m and I'm just an old worry guts when I hear noises that I'm not used to!
Once again,, thank you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, carbs are slightly out, just waiting for my sync set to be returned. I was reading the plastic fairing threads and noticed that mine has no heat resistant foam either side, so that would probably amplify the noise. Didn't realise that something was missing, because it was missing!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Second the idle bump. Move it to 1500. You'll get rid of the rattle and pick up a bit more charge rate at idle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas, have bumped the revs. Noise is definitely getting less noticible. Still haven't got my carb sync set back yet. Same old story, absolutely critical to borrow but returned at leisure. Oh well, teaches me a lesson.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts