Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a bird with 72000km on it. It had the usual rattle from the timing chain, worn clutch and original clutch fluid with stripped out reservoir bolts.

I rebuilt the clutch master and slave easily although the liquid was thick and brown!

The clutch had a high biting point and the bikes had a hard life.
I inspected the original plates and the thick seemed normal and intact and there was no slipping apparent.

I ordered a Whites clutch kit (Chinese midspect kit - claimed Taiwanese origin which I trust somewhat) and some Chinese Newfren clutch springs.

Well the new springs are longer and a bit stiffer but fit perfect.

Boy what can I say. The bike is transformed. New clutch doesn't slip at all. Feels buttery smooth from 1000rpm. Great engagement.

Combined with an oil change (after 6000+km) and a respray of the covers it feels like brand new.

The CCT was done as well last night by myself and I cleaned off the permaflex that the last owner used to seal the engine covers kindly instead of buying Honda gaskets.

New gaskets are cheap and indispensable. I sprayed them with cooking oil to aid removal next time.

Bike is phenomenal now. Now the brakes and suspension are shit and need revamping haha!

Despite clutch plates looking fine. They can be worn my friends.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
So I recently got a bird with 72000km on it. It had the usual rattle from the timing chain, worn clutch and original clutch fluid with stripped out reservoir bolts.

I rebuilt the clutch master and slave easily although the liquid was thick and brown!

The clutch had a high biting point and the bikes had a hard life.
I inspected the original plates and the thick seemed normal and intact and there was no slipping apparent.

I ordered a Whites clutch kit (Chinese midspect kit - claimed Taiwanese origin which I trust somewhat) and some Chinese Newfren clutch springs.

Well the new springs are longer and a bit stiffer but fit perfect.

Boy what can I say. The bike is transformed. New clutch doesn't slip at all. Feels buttery smooth from 1000rpm. Great engagement.

Combined with an oil change (after 6000+km) and a respray of the covers it feels like brand new.

The CCT was done as well last night by myself and I cleaned off the permaflex that the last owner used to seal the engine covers kindly instead of buying Honda gaskets.

New gaskets are cheap and indispensable. I sprayed them with cooking oil to aid removal next time.

Bike is phenomenal now. Now the brakes and suspension are shit and need revamping haha!

Despite clutch plates looking fine. They can be worn my friends.

Why did you replace the springs at all, any damage or recommendation by Honda ...?!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why did you replace the springs at all, any damage or recommendation by Honda ...?!
The clutch felt worn and tired. I didn't think that 16 year old clutch springs would be in factory condition.
I also like a firm clutch. My other bike bike got upgraded EBC springs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The pull on my clutch lever is really heavy, but there's no slip, and it engages perfectly...haven't had any reason to be concerned about the clutch plates thus far. I'm yet to crack the casing open and have a look inside, but do these bikes typically have a heavy lever pull? I'm not sure if it's just me being so spoilt with the Ninja's featherweight pull and have gotten accustomed to that!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I dont find mine heavy at all but i haven't ridden a different bike in 15 years so maybe I'm just used to it? I change the fluids every 2 years and have aftermarket Chinese levers. Maybe that helps?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dont find mine heavy at all but i haven't ridden a different bike in 15 years so maybe I'm just used to it? I change the fluids every 2 years and have aftermarket Chinese levers. Maybe that helps?
You've just touched on something there...my bike is fitted with shorty levers (previous owner), and I can't stand them tbh. Changing to long ones would obviously provide more leverage and less effort required to pull it in...derpy me totally overlooked that, haha!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are very heavy compared to a cable clutch on a 250. However after two months riding I can't tell the difference now. The blackbird clutch has adjusted to me haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts