Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, this is my first Blackbird, I have wanted one for many years and finally got round to getting one yesterday. After viewing and test riding 5 I finally picked the one I wanted, all appeared fine, the ride home was fantastic with no issues. Unfortunately this morning I went for a ride and at the second junction leaving home I went to set off, I let the clutch out and just as it was just about all the way out there was a loud "bark" noise and the bike jumped forward and nearly threw me off, it stalled and I looked stupid. I re started and set off without issue. During my 30 min ride, it happened a further 2 times. I returned home. I went out this evening, I let the bike warm up before setting off in case this was the issue but no, a little further from home this happened a further 2 times. Has anyone come across this before? I'm thinking maybe glazed friction discs or worn clutch springs?
Thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
Start with the simple stuff
1. Clutch fluid level OK?
2. Drive chain clean , lubed, adjusted? Note: check chain tension in several places.
3. Clutch handlebar lever for smooth operation.
Slightly more difficult
4. Bleed clutch fluid
5. Pull clutch slave cylinder (very easy to do) to check push rod and drive sprocket.
More difficult/special tools etc.
6. Pull clutch apart

welcome and post some pics

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
If you do get to the point of needing to pull the clutch it can be done with the bike on the side stand and you won't have to drain the oil. You can also pulI the fibe and steels without pulling the basket as well and inspect them. I would add to the top of the list above a oil and filter change. Do you know what the previous owner put in it the last time he changed it. Might be a good idea to ask him.

·
Super Moderator
12,666 Posts
Has anyone come across this before? I'm thinking maybe glazed friction discs or worn clutch springs?
What's the mileage? I had the barking noise a couple of times when I was commuting and needed to make a very brisk standing start at a particular junction (car drivers didn't appreciate me filtering to the front) but that clutch had 90k miles on it. I pulled the clutch a few K later and the only items out of spec were the springs. Basket, fibres and steels still had plenty of life in them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
31000 miles on it, strangely ive just been out on it and for about 2 hrs and its not done it once.

·
Super Moderator
12,666 Posts
Just keep an eye on it then. The clutch is generally very robust on these bikes (as evidenced by mine) and unless horribly abused last for a long long time.

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
Checked mine at 180,000 and it was still good. I js e chattered it on occasion but it's usually been because I dropped it at to low an rpm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have spoken to the previous owner, apparently it was serviced then has not been ridden for 4 months, could that be the cause as its not doing it now.

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
Could be what oil was put in it

·
Registered
551 Posts
As the bike was left standing the wet clutch became dry
What you csn do is remove all the plates in order and soak them in oil for some hours then refit
Then you have a wet clutch again
Paul

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
As the bike was left standing the wet clutch became dry
What you csn do is remove all the plates in order and soak them in oil for some hours then refit
Then you have a wet clutch again
Paul
Very good possibility and actually easily done per my previous post.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Shouldn't have dried out in 4 months but behaves like it has,i.e. plates sticking together and clutch not disengaging smoothly. I believe you have probably cured it by riding it, if that was the problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,666 Posts
Agree with @Partsguy my supercharged Bird had sat for far longer than 4 months before I started taking it out recently. In my world it is a 'keep an eye on it' issue, if it reoccurs take action otherwise just ride it.

FWIW as all long term owners know there is always a buildup of chain lube and road grit behind the front sprocket cover. If the bike has been garage serviced this will not have been dealt with ........ and if the chain is original might never have been dealt with. Personally I would look inside and see if the parraffin and plastic scrapers need to come out. (some heat in this area might have loosened a buildup which might also account for the problem going away)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would agree that an inspection behind the chain cover is useful on the xx's ive had they have all been very grotty , one in particular was full
And it can cause binding on the clutch pushrod
However as the clutch basket is above the oil fill level it only gets flung oil and due to rotation that flung oil gets flung out radially so the inside of tge basket and plates tends to be very dry

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your advice, ive spent the entire day out riding and not one single problem, the issue seems to be resolved but ill keep an eye on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts