Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping my dad fix up an 01 bird he just bought and we've run into some electrical gremlins.
Bike has 50k on the odo, has a replacement r/r and looks to have had the stator replaced as well. It had a power commander 3 on it that malfunctioned and wasn't allowing the bike to start. I removed it and it starts and runs ok.
Issue currently is the gauge cluster. The indicator lights work - neutral, turn signals, gauge backlight etc but the tachometer and two large digital panels refuse to turn on.
Had the battery tested at autozone and it's ok.
I took the cluster apart and everything appears normal. No popped capacitors, doesn't appear to be any damage or corrosion. All fuses appear to be ok.
What gives?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
There is a service manual including wiring diagram on this site that may help. Go to the forum called resource center, its there maybe with a little digging. It is 500+ pages long, wiring is at the very end.
Anyway, the good news is that the bike does not need the dash even connected to run properly.
With no obvious damage as you say, I would hazard a guess that you have a bad ground somewhere.

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
I'm helping my dad fix up an 01 bird he just bought and we've run into some electrical gremlins.
Bike has 50k on the odo, has a replacement r/r and looks to have had the stator replaced as well. It had a power commander 3 on it that malfunctioned and wasn't allowing the bike to start. I removed it and it starts and runs ok.
Issue currently is the gauge cluster. The indicator lights work - neutral, turn signals, gauge backlight etc but the tachometer and two large digital panels refuse to turn on.
Had the battery tested at autozone and it's ok.
I took the cluster apart and everything appears normal. No popped capacitors, doesn't appear to be any damage or corrosion. All fuses appear to be ok.
What gives?? Thanks in advance
Take a look at this thread. Thinking it may be your issue. The harnesses I believe are generic from the blue plug for the gauges back. Worth a look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take a look at this thread. Thinking it may be your issue. The harnesses I believe are generic from the blue plug for the gauges back. Worth a look.
That does sound pretty close, I'll check it out. Thanks!
I cant get the manual to pull up on this site, I have a hard copy coming next week though.
Never seen electrical issues like this before, but on a 20 year old bike I guess anything is possible.
When she started up she sounded great, no leaks or bad noises, so once we get this sorted it's time for a test ride!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ok, just checked myself re: service manual:
1. click forum called recourse center as previously stated
2. click 1st line, says service manual 1999+
3.Go to page 7, entry #121

Note to admin, can this be put at the top of the recourse center, where it belongs? (along with 1999-)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, just checked myself re: service manual:
1. click forum called recourse center as previously stated
2. click 1st line, says service manual 1999+
3.Go to page 7, entry #121

Note to admin, can this be put at the top of the recourse center, where it belongs? (along with 1999-)
The link on that post refuses to open, just goes to a blank page. I checked that guys website and can't find it there either, he may have removed it?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Funny, I just clicked on it again, it loaded fine, all 559 pages. ?? Did you go to page 7 entry #121 ?

Can admin put this front and center please?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny, I just clicked on it again, it loaded fine, all 559 pages. ?? Did you go to page 7 entry #121 ?

Can admin put this front and center please?
Yep I did. Might be because I'm doing this from my phone. I click the link on page 7 entry 121 and it just goes black and minimizes like it crashes or something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the manual - I had to download the link and bypass browser security to do so. Hopefully not infected with anything lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty I fixed that green plug by soldering the wires as that post detailed - still nothing. His was very corroded, mine didn't seem that way at all but I figured I'd do it anyway as it's a failure point.

Installed a new mosfet r/r with direct battery hookup, and now voltage at mid rpm is approx 14.3 - down from 17.5! So thats fixed.

The giant blue connector up by the cluster has a couple slightly corroded connections, but after cleaning it, still nothing.

I also cleaned up the ground on the frame next to the battery.

What did I miss? Bike runs ok but no tach, no digital dash. Turn signals and the like work fine.

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
Installed a new mosfet r/r with direct battery hookup, and now voltage at mid rpm is approx 14.3 - down from 17.5! So thats fixed.
Yikes!!!
That voltage might have just cooked the POD. You'll have to find a donor to verify.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Just checking: are your tail lights and license plate light working? If so then its not likely to be a fuse as they are on the same fuse as the gauge backlighting - FUSE B. If they're not, check that fuse!

When you say above that the backlight turns on, do you mean the backlight for the tachometer or for the digital dash or both? Check in a darkened room. The digital dash panels (temp guage and speedo) should have a glow when ignition is on, as the internal LEDs used for backlight are linked to the same power and earth pins in the 16 pin connector as the backlight bulbs for the tacho. So if the tacho backlight is working you should also have a backlight glow in the digital panels. If neither is working, then its probably a connector issue. (or a corroded track, or the fuse as mentioned above)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep the tail lights, plate light and turn signals work. The backlight behind the lcd panels and tach works, it's a soft yellow glow. There's just nothing displayed at all on the panels and the tach doesn't move. Rest of the cluster works.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
MAJOR EDIT (in case you read what I had before)

I doubt you've blown up the gauges, as there are multiple circuits in there. You'd have to be unlikely to blow them all...

My best guess is a ground issue. All 4 things that aren't working share a common ground connection on that 16-pin plug that nothing else uses. There is a Green/Black wire going into the plug. Check that pin has continuity to ground. If it doesn't, that's likely your issue. Try running a jumper wire from the Green/Black wire/pin to ground and plug in the gauges and see if the LCD panels come on. If they do, you have a ground issue in the connector or the loom. That wire runs back through the loom to a blue 20 pin connector, maybe the issue is in there.

I was struggling to work out from the schematic how the gauges get power. After reading Beestoys' earlier post about how there is a typo in the schematic for 99 analog gauges, I think there is also a similar typo in the digital gauges schematic. It doesn't show where they pick up power, just that they are all interconnected to each other by a track that goes nowhere. So I think the diagram is missing a connector dot that would show that track is connected to the same pin as power for the backlights etc, which you say are working fine, so I don't think its a power issue.

Any further investigation is going to need you to trace tracks on the pod circuit board checking for continuity ... and now im all out of ideas, sorry.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I also found this: Dead dash -02
It doesn't show the outcome, but it makes a lot of sense. There must be a 12V to 5V converter on that circuit board somewhere. If that's dead so will be all the electronics. Maybe you can find some local electronics nerd to check it out for you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That does sound similar, hopefully that's not the issue as I'll likely have to send the cluster off for repair

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
Hellkite
Where are you located?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts