Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my bird chums
I have a 2004 model and I've had a clunky gear change for a while through first, second and third. 4 to 6 is fine. I renewed the clutch plates last year and it did help. Bleed the clutch slave as well just to be sure and got the heavy duty springs which were all EBC, but I'm still clunky. Has anyone got any ideas, cure one problem and another one rises . 56500 miles as well
All help appreciated

Thanks
Roy

·
Registered
568 Posts
apparently its common on the bike
there is usa company that sells a modified escrow star that they claim makes it a lot smoother
frankly i havent a clue if it works or not
paul

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
Far from me to turn this into an 'oil thread' but have you experimented with a different oil. There is a lot of 'history' on this forum where a change of oil has made a notable difference to the smoothness of gear changes. Personally I don't use the clutch when changing up (clutch only first and second) and my gearbox is still silky smooth with just under 120K miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
8,450 Posts
Second the oil type

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
As above, try a different oil. I have just changed my oil with a type I haven't used before. It's a very high spec semi-synth 10w40. Compared to other oils I have used, it's very thin. This has made the clutch rumble at idle like never before and the gear changes very clunky. I have no doubt the oil protection is there, but it will have to be changed out again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Far from me to turn this into an 'oil thread' but have you experimented with a different oil. There is a lot of 'history' on this forum where a change of oil has made a notable difference to the smoothness of gear changes. Personally I don't use the clutch when changing up (clutch only first and second) and my gearbox is still silky smooth with just under 120K miles on it.
  1. When I done my service I ordered from David silver last year and cant remember what oil I purchased but I have wondered about the oil and seen past post . Theduck what oil would you recommend, I used silkolene before last service and don't recall this problem then
  2. Any help is appreciated
  3. Thanks Roy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, can I ask a recommended oil type that you use,, I was running silkolene before but always try something else
Thank you
Roy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I put silkolene super 4 semi-synth 10w40 in the time before my most recent change. Millers oil was the most recent and has caused my new clunks. Shame, as I use their various oils in other applications and like their brand, plus they are british.

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
I put silkolene super 4 semi-synth 10w40
That's what I use in all my bikes serves me well and when bought in 20L drums comes in at a very decent price.

·
Registered
281 Posts
in addition to the oil, be sure your clutch push rod is clean. can make a big difference in clutch actuation and overall shifting pleasure...

·
Registered
245 Posts
G'day all,

I use 10w50 semisynth (whatever Motul 5100 is called)...... 10w40 is a bit light for our old clunker's but I don't live with snow zone temps...... my winters are mild, maybe a few days at 5C in the mornings.... if I travel far enough south I find 0C temps...... but even with 10w50 I can clunk the box at times, but not when I'm in good form :LOL:.

Maybe change the clutch fluid out for something newer..... the fluid might look ok in the sight glass, but it can be dark and full of water inside the m/cyl. I've had good results with Motul DOT4 clutch fluid......

:unsure: just had a thought..... ageing hydraulic lines..... my BB is 16yo and I can feel a pulse in the brake hoses.... so I wonder if the clutch hose has a bit of flex as well... enough to affect gear changes (?)....... I can feel a braided line kit coming on for my next service.

PS Maybe the chain tension/age/loose-tight spots are affecting gear changes too......

(y)

·
Super Moderator
8,450 Posts
Heli
Yes it can. Members have reported that certain oil manufactures have caused a clunking. Also if you have a real high idle it can as well. And the bird does make a bit of a hard hit going into 1st if your setting dead still.
What I would try is just before you come to a complete stop drop it into 1st. That should keep the hit down some.
Tell us how it works out

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Roy, try a throttle body sync. I've just done mine and the gearchange has got very much better, from clunk to snick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts