Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the fairings are down I was thinking of using engine de-greaser to spray on the lower part of the engine (where oil sump is), and maybe the radiators. Of course, using the garden hose only, not pressure washer.

I read somewhere that water can cause issues with some electrical components in the engine vicinity.

Any advise is welcome, thanks all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are no sensors down there. I liberally scrubbed and and sprayed the area and had no issues. I used degreaser, toilet brush and then toothbrush followed by spray with hose.
I took my headers off at the same time and polished them with steel wool and autosol. All the sensors are on the upper throttle body area as well as under engine covers.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
No problems doing that. I use Simple Green to clean things from engines to chains. Don't know if they sell it in your neck of the woods though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Soon as your finished washing, start it up and leave it running for a bit to dry out with a bit of engine heat.

Reactions: mbikeboy

·
Registered
38 Posts
I took advantage of the nice weather and got busy cleaning all the grime lurking beneath the fairings and around the swingarm...looking much nicer already, but still plenty of detailing to go!

·
BirdDog
568 Posts
While the fairings are down I was thinking of using engine de-greaser to spray on the lower part of the engine (where oil sump is), and maybe the radiators. Of course, using the garden hose only, not pressure washer.

I read somewhere that water can cause issues with some electrical components in the engine vicinity.

Any advise is welcome, thanks all.

Use this, spray it on, let it sit a few, use a damp cloth for stubborn build-up…hose off!
Use it on radiator, engine, paint, plastic/anything, safe, very effective. Same product at “Honda-brite”. Been using for decades!
Bottle Liquid Fluid Bottle cap Household supply
Bottle Liquid Fluid Bottle cap Household supply

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking great! what was your method?
Not much to it tbh...liberal dousings of degreaser, agitate surfaces with a stiff brush, hose off and repeat as necessary. For the tricky to get at areas, I used a toothbrush. It just takes a lot of time and patience (and a few podcasts haha!). :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not much to it tbh...liberal dousings of degreaser, agitate surfaces with a stiff brush, hose off and repeat as necessary. For the tricky to get at areas, I used a toothbrush. It just takes a lot of time and patience (and a few podcasts haha!). :)
Thought so, I'm just searching for the holy grail of blink and it's clean. Welcome anyway, I'm from Central NSW. Currently getting my Bird re-registered. The weather is looking prime.
Stay safe.

Cheers

·
Registered
329 Posts
I took advantage of the nice weather and got busy cleaning all the grime lurking beneath the fairings and around the swingarm...looking much nicer already, but still plenty of detailing to go!

What type of shock is that mate?

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's a Wilbers...very nice piece of kit. :)
Suits the bike. Wonder what model it is and how much it costs. How does it feel like to ride? Has the front been done too?
I am keen for info as getting rear suspension done next year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Suits the bike. Wonder what model it is and how much it costs. How does it feel like to ride? Has the front been done too?
I am keen for info as getting rear suspension done next year.
I've only ridden the bike approx 15klm's since picking it up last week, most of those just getting it home. As we're in lockdown, I haven't been able to ride anywhere, just to the supermarket haha! I can't really comment how it feels to ride given the lack of ride-time, but Wilbers are quality and have had them on other bikes - highly recommended. For now I'm just doing lots of cleaning, detailing, refurbishing items, and writing lists. :p

It's this shock: Wilbers Suspension Manufaktur | shock absorber Type 640 Road | purchase online

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've only ridden the bike approx 15klm's since picking it up last week, most of those just getting it home. As we're in lockdown, I haven't been able to ride anywhere, just to the supermarket haha! I can't really comment how it feels to ride given the lack of ride-time, but Wilbers are quality and have had them on other bikes - highly recommended. For now I'm just doing lots of cleaning, detailing, refurbishing items, and writing lists. :p

It's this shock: Wilbers Suspension Manufaktur | shock absorber Type 640 Road | purchase online
Nato said:
Thanks 👍
Love the blue spring. Kinda sucks that it doesn’t come with compression settings, eh? Or maybe that doesn’t matter? Let me know how it feels when lock down over 🙏🏻

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks 👍
Love the blue spring. Kinda sucks that it doesn’t come with compression settings, eh? Or maybe that doesn’t matter? Let me know how it feels when lock down over 🙏🏻

1 - 19 of 19 Posts