1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys
I have 2 BB's
one red and one black
one that had been left out doors for years and they hade replaced the cracked titanium colour oem fairing for a chinky one in candy red ( with appropriate replacement tank )

needless to say the oem fairing just drops in place
and the chinky one needs some wiggling and persuasion to get it fitted

moreover
I had put a fender extender from pyramid uk to stop crud flying into the rad and bu--ering it up ( I had to replace rotted oem one for a chinky one that just about fits ( bit too thick and wide )
but it was scraping on the middle of the fairing center piece
so I had to heat it up and bend it about 1 cm forwards

I ve ordered one for my black BB and took a look to see if I was going to have the same fouling issues
well no....
the oem fairing is set about 5 cm further back than the chinky one and so there is a lot of space
so
  • the parts are not interchangeable on the front end
  • the front wheel clearance on the chinky one is much less
-the fit is less precise
but as our dear Japanese friends had stopped the production years ago
you really have no choice
buyer beware...
paul

·
Registered
454 Posts
I always wondered - when ppl say the Choyna fairings are out of place - how out of place are we talking? Is it just "a bit off" or does it mean you'll need (or, to be precise, your bodyshop guy) hours and work on the brand new fairings to get it fitted?

Seems like buying used/slightly scuffed OEM fairings and giving them to fairing expert for refurbishment would be a better option at this point.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
indeed if you can get the gen oem with minimal damage then thats the way to go but they are as rare as rocking horse poop
the chinky one will fit with little mods but will not have the close match and fit of the oem
also the colour tends to be a bit thin with little base coat to in strong sunlight you can see through parts of the colout
but on the + side the material is thicker and less prone to cracking ( the Honda abs rear fairing gets brittle and falls apart after some years ...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Most problems with tailpiece cracking are due to spacers missing on the screws. Orig 1997 had them, later ones out of factory didn't. Even if they were there, most get lost over time and people don't realise what effect them not being there can have

·
Registered
128 Posts
Most problems with tailpiece cracking are due to spacers missing on the screws. Orig 1997 had them, later ones out of factory didn't. Even if they were there, most get lost over time and people don't realise what effect them not being there can have
Cheers Krisb2,

My 05BB has them (the spacers) and my tail piece is now 15yo and as good as new....... I agree, missing spacers will allow cracks to develope as plastic body panels can't tolerate being compressed.

(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi Guys
I have 2 BB's
one red and one black
one that had been left out doors for years and they hade replaced the cracked titanium colour oem fairing for a chinky one in candy red ( with appropriate replacement tank )

needless to say the oem fairing just drops in place
and the chinky one needs some wiggling and persuasion to get it fitted

moreover
I had put a fender extender from pyramid uk to stop crud flying into the rad and bu--ering it up ( I had to replace rotted oem one for a chinky one that just about fits ( bit too thick and wide )
but it was scraping on the middle of the fairing center piece
so I had to heat it up and bend it about 1 cm forwards

I ve ordered one for my black BB and took a look to see if I was going to have the same fouling issues
well no....
the oem fairing is set about 5 cm further back than the chinky one and so there is a lot of space
so
  • the parts are not interchangeable on the front end
  • the front wheel clearance on the chinky one is much less
-the fit is less precise
but as our dear Japanese friends had stopped the production years ago
you really have no choice
buyer beware...
paul
I own a '98 carb model and cracks have started to form in places. Looking online on some of the Chinese websites there seems to be a number of suppliers for replacement fairing minus the mirror cowls. Maybe they are all coming from the same source but it's possible there are different manufacturers and tolerances might vary. Right now I have a couple of options - take a punt on a Chinese set which is surprisingly affordable at around GBP100 or take my original panels to have carbon fibre moulds made (including the mirrors). A full carbon fibre set will cost quite a bit more but if they can do an accurate job on the moulding it would potentially give me superior strength as well as potential weight saving. Can also go with the raw weave look either matt or gloss but equally I could have them sprayed in original colour. If there are enough guys on here who might be interested in chipping in for either a full set or just say the mirrors, we can bring the overall costs down and share the benefits. Interested to know if there's anyone out there on the same wavelength as me or am I in a crazy world of my own.
Dave (Hong Kong)

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
HK
The set from Accumart has been very reliable for fit. Paint can be a bit tricky sometimes because of decals. So make sure you message them with exactly what you want. Color match to the tank is always going to be problematic. Yout talking about fresh paint to something that could have as much as 23 years of sun on it. Add in the issue if it's anything other than black (if it's red your in even more trouble) and sun fade is going to make a big change.
Whatever set you settle on make sure injection molded is in the description. Vacumm molding is no good when the panels cools critical mounting points can move as much as 1/2 and INCH or more.
Mirror housings as you have found are an issue they are still available from the factory so it would be a matter of painting them to match.
I have a factory titanium BB myself and am in the process of replacing all the bodywork with fiberglass. Once i get the tabs set I have a custom blended Titanium if it's a 100% match we will have a color mix formula in PPG's Deltron that we can use for resprays. The paint is a bit pricey but it's colorfast and a 2 part urethane formula so it's virtually indestructible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i bought my bird, and she looked ok at first sight then you notice the cracks, have you ever heard of PLASTEX REPAIR, its not cheap but if your talking about the rear end of the fairing, i have used it and it bonds like the original thing, how far you go sanding down is up to you but, just so you know, it makes the weld new, like it never had a crack in it. But you have to drill the end of the crack to make sure its not going to grow. regardless, my birds back end is now black not red, and its holding together really well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts