Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
El Cheapo
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever modify the chin cowl on their Blackbird to allow more airflow to the header pipes?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Not that I am aware of. I don't have the link, but one mag did a study of several bikes with ram air, to check the pressure in the airbox & how it responded to the throttle opening. The BB had greater than ambient pressure in the airbox at the lowest speed and kept it better with sharp throttle opening than any of the others, ('busa, ZX-13, R1?).

Practical upshot is that the design is pretty damn good already & better then the others, so unless you are going to be needing a LOT more air, you don't really need to do anything with it.

·
El Cheapo
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not talking about airbox modification to get more air into the airbox, I want more airflow to the header pipes of the exhaust.. under the radiator..

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
AH! I understand, now. I seem to recall something where someone left the chin section out but there was some issue & he ended up putting it back in. Can't remember what, though, sorry. Or which board I saw it on either. :(

edit: I think it was that so much really hot air came out it was cooking his legs more than he could stand.

Hi "A". :p

·
Registered
131 Posts
I modified the area of my lower fairing which sits directly behind the front wheel. My mod wasn't intended for the purpose of directing more air on the pipes, but as it turns out, more air does get to the pipes. I cut out the "XX" logo design there strictly for a custom look.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
After taking the fairings off a couple of time recently I wouldnt be removing the chin piece as it adds a lot of rigidity to the fairing assembly..

Why are you wanting to cool the headers anyway?

If its a question of keeping heat off other parts there are bandages that you can get for wrapping the headers..

·
Registered
206 Posts
if you're worried about overheating of the bird install a fan switch, works awesome and keeps the engine at a good temp even in stop/go traffic. ( (1/2 work and $10 in parts)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts