Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just a quick question from a Bird newbie (02 FI). So I take the seat off to get at the coolant expansion bottle, but can't see any coolant in it. How full should it be? Should I be able to see liquid in the plastic bottle through the aperture in the RH fairing lower??
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, just a quick question from a Bird newbie (02 FI). So I take the seat off to get at the coolant expansion bottle, but can't see any coolant in it. How full should it be? Should I be able to see liquid in the plastic bottle through the aperture in the RH fairing lower??
Thanks guys!
Had same problem found it has to be checked when hot could not see so dipped it with wire to get level ok to do this as not under pressure at expansion tank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have any suitable coolant in the garage, so I used de-ionised water to top up the expansion bottle. It took nearly 2/3rds of a litre to bring level to be just visible at the bottom of the filler tube! I reckon if there's too much, she'll spit it out the overflow. Off to get the right coolant and more de-i water and then try and work out how to take fairing lowers off for first time. I obviously need to check for any signs of leakage before I flush and refill with fresh coolant.
Any tips in getting lowers off painlessly???
Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dont have any suitable coolant in the garage, so I used de-ionised water to top up the expansion bottle. It took nearly 2/3rds of a litre to bring level to be just visible at the bottom of the filler tube! I reckon if there's too much, she'll spit it out the overflow. Off to get the right coolant and more de-i water and then try and work out how to take fairing lowers off for first time. I obviously need to check for any signs of leakage before I flush and refill with fresh coolant.
Cheers
The best way I have found to check the coolant level is to remove the seat, use a flashlight to illuminate the overflow bottle and shake the bike back and forth. Honda sells coolant in quart bottles pre-mixed 50/50.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Cheers
Too full now, but she'll boil it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts