Honda blackbird 99
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i ame from south Africa so my English is not so good
My black bird is giving me charging problems
Tested the stater no grond lekin
Testud the oms 0.4 on all 3 wiers no visible damage
Start the bike tested the acvolts on ideling its 75acv on 3000 rpm its 264acv
Carging 14.5 on ideling and 3000 to 5000 rpm the charging rate gous to 16.8 17 volts wate kan be the problem it pops voltage regelators and batrys can ennyone help me with this problem please

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Anything over 14.5V can damage the battery and the electrical system. Do not ride like this.
Most likely you have a bad voltage regulator.. Best regulator (R/R) is a mosfet type such as FH020AA. However, these are expensive, beware of fakes.
Can also try a used mosfet type from a Yamaha, Kawasaki etc.
Maybe someone from S Africa can chime in as to what is available over there.

PS: double check your battery for damage.

·
Registered
Honda blackbird 99
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks in sa wee strugel even to get original parts on blakbirds and if wee do it is hell exspensif but i wil se wat i kan get just i thing all the tex i reed thy sy the statos must de 40 to 5o acv on 3000 rpm min is 264acv is that normal

·
Registered
Honda blackbird 99
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ps from ideling charging rate is 14.5 if i reve it up to 3000 the charging rate pics up with 00.3 volts at a time and ceeps on climing on 17 i switce it off

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It is hard to believe that the stator output could be 264VAC @3000rpm.!!?
Test stator AC voltage, should be about 60VAC @ 5000rpm.

3 stator wires, call them A, B, and C
1. A to B
2. B to C
3. C to A

Disconnect the 3 pin stator wire connector to run this test. The bike will run fine on battery power alone for a short while.

PS: if you really have 264VAC output from stator then you may have the wrong stator.
Can you post some pics?

Double check the voltmeter against household current, make sure it is reading right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Put 1 of the multimeter probs on 1 of the 3 stator wires, and the other meter prob to earth, there should be no continuity, do that for each of the stator wires, there should be no current, if there is then you mite have a bad stator. When you recheck for stator out put when running, its more important that each wire is giving out about the same ac as each other. Check it like fizzy said.
As stated 264vac is way out.
Also take your reg/rec of and turn it over and look at the back, if its oem I think they have a rubber piece in the middle, if the rubber is bulging and bubbling then you have a bad reg/rec, but you need to rule out a bad stator, otherwise when you put a new reg/rec on, the bad stator will blow that one as well.
What year bike is it? Is it carb or fuel injection?

·
Registered
Honda blackbird 99
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi sorry i anser late if chekd the amp meter and it wase folty got a newe 1 acv is 45 volts so wil replace regelator and battery 1 thanks for you're help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts