Honda CBR XX Forum banner

charging problems

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  fizzy 
#1 ·
Hi I've had a charcing problem on my '99 bird headlight also blew . I have replaced the regulator/rectifier with an O.E.M part. tested the battery and it doesnt so any increase in voltage when run at 4000 rpm sticks around 12.35v. thinking of replacing the stator I dont have the knowledge to test the wiring, I ran it for few minutes from cold while testing the battery and noticed the stator cover got quite hot. Is this normal
ps the stator cover has liquid gasket . would any gasket sealant work for the job or does it need aspecific. type

#2 ·
First thing give the battery an overnight charge. Then go back and check your voltages again. You should see at least 13.1 at idle and 14.3 at 5k. If these are down. Switch the meter to AC volts and check pairings of the yellow wires. There's 3 of them so you'll pair 1 and 2 first then 1 and 3 then 2 and 3. You should see at least 24 volts at idle and 55 volts min at 5k. And this is important they should be within 2 to 3 volts of each other. If they aren't you have a winding going south.
That cover does get hot naturally there is a port that sprays s fine oil mist on the stator to help cool it. Although in never have understood how hot oil cools.
Any silicone sealant will work just be sure its sensor safe so it doesn't etch the aluminum cover. Most are now but just be sure

#3 ·
Second what beestoys says above. Remember, the bike will run fine on battery power alone while you test the stator. I do have one issue with using "liquid gasket" instead of a paper gasket. When the cover is tightened down, some of this gasket goop can ooze into the engine and churn around until it blocks a small passageway.

#4 ·
hi I fitted a fully charged battery (13.4V) and tested it, idle 12.74 then revving for 1 minute 12.42V. I then disconected the stator and tested each set of yellow wires ( 1-2, 1-3, 2-3) in turn,on AC setting on the multimeter. zero every time.!! new stator I think. just ordered a new one plus gasket. Good job i love this bike. LOL
Thanks for all your help and advice so far...

#5 ·
hi I fitted a fully charged battery (13.4V) and tested it idle 12.74 then revving for 1 minute 12.4V. I then disconected the stator and tested each set of wires ( 1-2, 1-3, 2-3)in turn on AC setting on the multimeter zero every time. new stator I think. just ordered a new one plus gasket. Good job i love this bike. LOL

#9 ·
I understand you tested ( 1-2, 1-3, 2-3)in turn on AC ?? with the motor not going they need to be tested when motor is going the stator produces a ac current to the rectifier when runningthis is what you need to do..Stator can be checked when disconnected with a meter on ohms checking stator for burnout/failure

#6 ·
Zero volts all 3 ways? That doesn't sound right. Something wrong in the testing procedure methinks. Are you sure the meter works (test it on the mains), are you sure you have the right wires.?
However, I agree that you probably need a new stator based on battery voltage test

Use RTV sealant on the wire/grommet per the manual and leave to set overnight before use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.