Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,I decided I want to work on my bird a bit rather than always taking it to the shop. Save money and learn something. Figured small maintainance stuff I could do on my own. Want to start by changing the liquids and my question is in regards to the coolant. Getting to the container is easy enough, but how do you remove the old liquid? As far as I know there is no drainage valve on the bottom of the container, is there? So, do I have to pump it out somehow? What do I need to do this? Advice from those who know how to do this would be appreciated. Also was wondering about the brake fluid. I was told not to do this on my own as It's very fragile due to the linked brakes and is best left to a mechanic? Any thoughts/suggestions? Thank you in advance.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
The overflow hose can be used to siphon out the old coolant - it reaches to the bottom of the reservoir. You'll find it's other end just below the rad cap. Be warned: this job is a pita at best and takes some patience. I ended up disconnecting a few hoses and using a wet vac to draw coolant from the various passages. I still don't think I got every bit out and had to satisfy myself with about a 90% exchange.

Brake fluid flush is made much easier by either installing speed bleeders or using a vacuum device to draw the fluid through. I used a large veterinary syringe with a bit of clear tubing attached to each bleeder in turn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts