Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Change Cluster from Digital to Analog?

5K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  beestoys 
#1 ·
Is it possible, has anyone changed one of the Fi model digital cluster to a Fi analog cluster?

In my quest, it appears that I come to a pass often going from ‘98 to ‘03. Most often I’m seeing ‘03 in black which is the color I prefer but, they have the digital cluster that I don’t care for.

#2 · (Edited)
Well I've certainly seen projects the other way round. Carb birds being fitted with FI clusters. That may demo compatibility that way round but not nec two way compatibility. Certainly searching for it that way round ought to bring up discussion as to what the dirrerences are if nothing else.

Also didn't the bird go carb to Fi (analogue dash 1999-2001 version) then Fi digi afterwards? I'm a carb bird so can't speak with full insight but I'm prety sure. So you may even have a direct plug n play option.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Mallow yes went carb to FI 99 the 1sr gen FI's as I call them were the 99 2000. They still had analog. 01 and on went to digital.

The tricky part is going to be the temp sensor. It's different for the analog and digital. Also the early analog trigger the fan with a separate sensor. The digi uses one sensor for both they gauge and fan. The ECU controls the fan on off.

#10 ·
Hi Bees,
Last six of the VIN is : 303687
In the UK our registration goes on when the vehicle was first purchased and registered ,so you could have a 2001 production unit hanging about for two years and it would then have a 2003 registration, very rare but it does happen.

#8 ·
I know that Honda has discontinued the analog gauge cluster for the carbie...not sure about the “analog clone” for the 99-01 FI. If it’s just appearance you want to remedy, jaws has some pretty nifty gauge dial faces for the digital and non-digital carb and FI ‘birds. Here’s a link...

https://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/oldsite/bird2.htm#indi

#9 ·
I know that Honda has discontinued the analog gauge cluster for the carbie...not sure about the “analog clone” for the 99-01 FI. If it’s just appearance you want to remedy, jaws has some pretty nifty gauge dial faces for the digital and non-digital carb and FI ‘birds. Here’s a link...

https://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/oldsite/bird2.htm#indi
I don't quite understand what you're saying. Those products don't change the digital cluster to an analog cluster. The '99 and '00 models have a nearly identical cluster to all earlier models. '01 and onward have completely different cluster with centered tachometer, speedo, odo, fuel etc etc all on a LCD justified left.

#13 ·
Ok. So to start making this work, I would need a analog cluster and sub-wiring assembly #12 for a '99-'00. What's the deal with the engine temp sensor and compatibility? I'm still confused about that Would I need a '99-'00 engine temp sensor to install into a '01 or newer bike for the temp gauge to work when changing clusters?

#14 ·
Yes that would be a start. So are you trying to analog a digital BB.
If so the sensor for the gauge is one issue. It's got a different range I believe. Your second issue is going to be fan triggering. The analogs use a separate sensor to trigger. The digitalis trigger it off the same sensor. But the computer controls ground path to switch the fan on.

#15 ·
Yes that would be a start. So are you trying to analog a digital BB.
If so the sensor for the gauge is one issue. It's got a different range I believe. Your second issue is going to be fan triggering. The analogs use a separate sensor to trigger. The digitalis trigger it off the same sensor. But the computer controls ground path to switch the fan on.
Yes, I'm considering getting an '03 and changing the cluster to one from a '99-'00.
'99-'00 compatible sensors can still be bought so, I was thinking it might just need to be third item purchased to make it work. However after reading this, it seems there's going to be more to it than just swapping a sensor.

I think I need some clarification. If the analog cluster has a sensor to trigger the fan....ugh...I keep trying to formulate my question and this is the third time I've tried to write it up and it's not even making sense to me.

So the digital uses one sensor for the temp gauge and for triggering the fan?

So the computer control when the sensor is grounded to complete the circuit which triggers the fan?

Do you know which or can you show me on one of the wiring diagrams, where the sensor for triggering the fan goes on the analog? My initial wonder is, if the analog needs two sources of information, can those paths be combined to read from one source?

#17 ·
OK. I'm looking at the radiator and see there's a part like you said
37760-MT2-003 SWITCH ASSY., THERMO

It appears on diagrams that are supposed to be for '98-'03.

Are you saying that this thermo switch that is present on both '99 and '03 is not used by a '03 to trigger the fan but, is used by the '99?

#19 ·
Deadman pointed out that Uglystick did the opposite a few years ago. After reading the thread, I just wonder if all I need is the cluster, wiring sub assembly, temp sending unit, and thermo switch, all from '99-'00, and swap those parts.

Or am I missing something?

#20 ·
Deadman pointed out that Uglystick did the opposite a few years ago. After reading the thread, I just wonder if all I need is the cluster, wiring sub assembly, temp sending unit, and thermo switch, all from '99-'00, and swap those parts.

Or am I missing something?

#22 ·
So looking at that thread. Its possible to reverse the directions and put the analog dash in. If you change out the FI bulb in the analog dash to an LED bulb you may have that issue fixed. The temp sensor is going to be your issue as it's going to read wrong on the gauge. If you switch it to fix the gauge then your going to alter your fan actuation point. These circuits are one and the same on the digital and separate on the analog.
That makes the switch over to digital the easier of the 2. To go the other way your going to have to accept a misreading temp gauge or find a way to recalibrate it (if it even has the correct range).

#23 ·
So it could be that the fan comes on sooner or more frequent, or doesn't come on soon enough or often enough.

I need to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying. When you said temp sensor, are you talking about the thermo switch or the water temp sensor?

#24 ·
Yes that is the concern. Because the computer controls it it's not a separate circuit like with the analog system.
On the digi dash versions it's one and the same. So now your effecting a control circuit if you want the gauge to read correct.

#26 ·
No
What I'm saying is
99/00
Uses a separate thermal switch incorporated in the left side radiator tank. This is what triggers the fan. Then there is a separate sensor that reads the temp for the gauge.
01/03
Uses a temp sensor at the back of the block my understanding was it told the ECU what the temp was and that the ECU then switches the fan on. Unfortunately I don't have an 03 here now to make 100% sure.
Reading a post here I'm starting to think that you might be able to set this up now because of this excerpt

Greig - if yours is an 03 model, then it will have 2 wires at the wiring loom connector on the LH side of the radiator. The temp sender for this model should be at the rear of the cylinder block near the Thermostat housing, not at the Radiator header tank. When I installed my manual over ride switch - I tied the switch wiring to earth into the Black wire of the fan motor side of the wiring loom - that is on the fan side of the connector so as the main loom is not modified.

So I apologize for any confusion.

#27 ·
So thinking now after reading the above. If the fan trigger is where they state. Then the fan operation should be good. And the gauge reading should be ok too as long as you change out the sensor. The only way to know for sure is to make the changes and see. The most important thing to watch will be block temp and making sure the fan triggers correctly. I'd have an temp gun pointed at the center 2 cylinders watching the temp. I can get a number for you this weekend on a fairly stock BB. I can also shoot mine as well now that I have my fan controller dialed in.

Again i apologize for making this so confusing. I made a couple of assumptions and believe I am wrong as the result of those. Let me know if I can be of any help still.?

#29 ·
Don't be dismayed! I really do appreciate all of your input. I've been getting input from the other forum and some Faceboook groups as well. Although, the only FB group post that was helpful was from Deadman telling me that Uglystick did the opposite and that he detailed it out. A couple other fellows on CBR1100xx.org have been giving me their insight Change from Digital to Analog?

I've been compiling all of the info in my mind and looking at the parts diagrams and the service manual wiring diagrams for both models to understand why the temp gauge wouldn't work. It seems that it all comes down to the resistance of the coolant temp sensor

#32 ·
Fizz
After doing some more thinking and seeing the numbers nomad posted. I agree but I suspect he can just swap out the gauge sensor and be fine.

Now the big plus I believe he has is that he can simply swap the FI indication bulb to an LED. The driver circuit is already in place for that bulb style.

#30 ·
OK...again reading over that excerpt you posted and comparing that to a parts diagram. There is a water temp sensor assembly Shop 2003 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird WATER PUMP 98-03 OEM Parts Diagram - RevZilla that at least appears to be a part of the thermostat housing.

Then I looked online at a service manual and the coolant temp sensor again appears to be apart of thermostat housing. The service manual states the following at 168 degrees F
'99 should be 47.5-56.8 k ohms
After '99 should be 2.1-2.6 k ohms

#31 ·
Ohhh yay that's a big difference and it makes some sense as to the 2 not being compatable. But if it's as we now suspect and those numbers confirm. Then you should be able to swap sensors and the gauge should read fine. The fan trigger apparently is still a separate entity just in a new location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.