Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible, has anyone changed one of the Fi model digital cluster to a Fi analog cluster?

In my quest, it appears that I come to a pass often going from ‘98 to ‘03. Most often I’m seeing ‘03 in black which is the color I prefer but, they have the digital cluster that I don’t care for.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well I've certainly seen projects the other way round. Carb birds being fitted with FI clusters. That may demo compatibility that way round but not nec two way compatibility. Certainly searching for it that way round ought to bring up discussion as to what the dirrerences are if nothing else.

Also didn't the bird go carb to Fi (analogue dash 1999-2001 version) then Fi digi afterwards? I'm a carb bird so can't speak with full insight but I'm prety sure. So you may even have a direct plug n play option.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Mallow yes went carb to FI 99 the 1sr gen FI's as I call them were the 99 2000. They still had analog. 01 and on went to digital.

The tricky part is going to be the temp sensor. It's different for the analog and digital. Also the early analog trigger the fan with a separate sensor. The digi uses one sensor for both they gauge and fan. The ECU controls the fan on off.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Cant help with the original posters question, but I have a 2001 Fi with analogue display.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Big Whats the last 6 or your VIN. Thinking it's a very low one so you may have a transition bird. Course it could well be a UK thing too lol.

·
BirdDog
522 Posts
I know that Honda has discontinued the analog gauge cluster for the carbie...not sure about the “analog clone” for the 99-01 FI. If it’s just appearance you want to remedy, jaws has some pretty nifty gauge dial faces for the digital and non-digital carb and FI ‘birds. Here’s a link...

https://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/oldsite/bird2.htm#indi

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that Honda has discontinued the analog gauge cluster for the carbie...not sure about the “analog clone” for the 99-01 FI. If it’s just appearance you want to remedy, jaws has some pretty nifty gauge dial faces for the digital and non-digital carb and FI ‘birds. Here’s a link...

https://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/oldsite/bird2.htm#indi
I don't quite understand what you're saying. Those products don't change the digital cluster to an analog cluster. The '99 and '00 models have a nearly identical cluster to all earlier models. '01 and onward have completely different cluster with centered tachometer, speedo, odo, fuel etc etc all on a LCD justified left.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Big Whats the last 6 or your VIN. Thinking it's a very low one so you may have a transition bird. Course it could well be a UK thing too lol.
Hi Bees,
Last six of the VIN is : 303687
In the UK our registration goes on when the vehicle was first purchased and registered ,so you could have a 2001 production unit hanging about for two years and it would then have a 2003 registration, very rare but it does happen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see there’s two different sub assemblies for the cluster. Does anyone know if the connector to the sub assembly is as shown? They look like they aren’t compatible.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
The main harness is the same and compatible. The cluster harnesses are interchangeable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The main harness is the same and compatible. The cluster harnesses are interchangeable.
Ok. So to start making this work, I would need a analog cluster and sub-wiring assembly #12 for a '99-'00. What's the deal with the engine temp sensor and compatibility? I'm still confused about that Would I need a '99-'00 engine temp sensor to install into a '01 or newer bike for the temp gauge to work when changing clusters?

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Yes that would be a start. So are you trying to analog a digital BB.
If so the sensor for the gauge is one issue. It's got a different range I believe. Your second issue is going to be fan triggering. The analogs use a separate sensor to trigger. The digitalis trigger it off the same sensor. But the computer controls ground path to switch the fan on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that would be a start. So are you trying to analog a digital BB.
If so the sensor for the gauge is one issue. It's got a different range I believe. Your second issue is going to be fan triggering. The analogs use a separate sensor to trigger. The digitalis trigger it off the same sensor. But the computer controls ground path to switch the fan on.
Yes, I'm considering getting an '03 and changing the cluster to one from a '99-'00.
'99-'00 compatible sensors can still be bought so, I was thinking it might just need to be third item purchased to make it work. However after reading this, it seems there's going to be more to it than just swapping a sensor.

I think I need some clarification. If the analog cluster has a sensor to trigger the fan....ugh...I keep trying to formulate my question and this is the third time I've tried to write it up and it's not even making sense to me.

So the digital uses one sensor for the temp gauge and for triggering the fan?

So the computer control when the sensor is grounded to complete the circuit which triggers the fan?

Do you know which or can you show me on one of the wiring diagrams, where the sensor for triggering the fan goes on the analog? My initial wonder is, if the analog needs two sources of information, can those paths be combined to read from one source?

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Yes, I'm considering getting an '03 and changing the cluster to one from a '99-'00.
'99-'00 compatible sensors can still be bought so, I was thinking it might just need to be third item purchased to make it work. However after reading this, it seems there's going to be more to it than just swapping a sensor.

I think I need some clarification. If the analog cluster has a sensor to trigger the fan....ugh...I keep trying to formulate my question and this is the third time I've tried to write it up and it's not even making sense to me.

So the digital uses one sensor for the temp gauge and for triggering the fan?

So the computer control when the sensor is grounded to complete the circuit which triggers the fan?

Do you know which or can you show me on one of the wiring diagrams, where the sensor for triggering the fan goes on the analog? My initial wonder is, if the analog needs two sources of information, can those paths be combined to read from one source?
No the digital takes its reading from one sensor the one on the thermostat housing I'm pretty sure.

Yes the computer drives the fan ground circuit that lets the fan come on. There is constant 12 volts at the fan waiting. That is why you must be careful if try to install a manual fan switch. Ground the wrong wire and you take chance at killing the ECM
Also the sensors for both systems are of different values. I want to say someone said you have to add 300 ohms of resistance to the analog sensor line to get the digital gauge to read right.

No you can't combine the circuits I am thinking the above reason is why. The trigger for the analog fans is an actual thermal switch mounted in the left tank of the radiator about midway on the back side.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. I'm looking at the radiator and see there's a part like you said
37760-MT2-003 SWITCH ASSY., THERMO

It appears on diagrams that are supposed to be for '98-'03.

Are you saying that this thermo switch that is present on both '99 and '03 is not used by a '03 to trigger the fan but, is used by the '99?

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Yes
My sons 03 didn't have that switch on it. And I'm thinking the 01 and 02 won't either. It's shown on the drawing because it's generic drawing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deadman pointed out that Uglystick did the opposite a few years ago. After reading the thread, I just wonder if all I need is the cluster, wiring sub assembly, temp sending unit, and thermo switch, all from '99-'00, and swap those parts.

Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deadman pointed out that Uglystick did the opposite a few years ago. After reading the thread, I just wonder if all I need is the cluster, wiring sub assembly, temp sending unit, and thermo switch, all from '99-'00, and swap those parts.

Or am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts