Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cougar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
just looking for feedback from anyone who has gone from a 180/55/17 rear tyre size to a 190/55/17 tyre.
What I would like to know is if you had any fitment or handling issue by doing this.
just thought going to a wider tyre will give me more contact patch and hopefully grip, plus increased tyre life as a bigger tyre may handle the birds weight better?
Any advice would be appreciated.
thank you
Sam

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have tried a 190 tire on the stock rim. I bought 3 of them for $40 each.

Fitment-harder to wiggle the chain past the tire.
Handling-less stable in turns, instability increasing with lean angle.
Not increased tire life if you spend a fair amount of time on the side.
Contact patch will be a miniscule amount larger. If you spend your time drag racing, that is the only positive I can grant.

Advice --- buy the right size.

I have 190's on my 6 inch rims, though.

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
It works on a 6 inch wheel but not so good on the stock 5.5. Lower profile and wider ratio makes it crown more so your actually going backwards to what you think. Stay with the 180. I actually kept the 180 when I went to my Galespeeds which are 6 inches. Handles the same planted like a rail. And tips in and line changes mid turn no problem.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
If you spend your time drag racing, that is the only positive I can grant.

Advice --- buy the right size.

I have 190's on my 6 inch rims, though.
No good for drag racing either, similar contact patch ,smaller if anything and weighs about a lb. more.

I'm running a 180 on a 6" rim, little tough to mount but nice and flat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Agree with sticking to the 180. I tried a 190 on my first bird on the standard width wheel after the tyre guy said plenty of guys fit it. Bike was very twitchy when leant over and on the power. As others have said, the tyre is more pinched so the contact patch is actually less on the edge. I found that I could not run to the edge of the tyre - the bodywork would scrap before that point. The bike tips to n much better on the 180

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Cougar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Mello
its good to deal with a community that’s been there and done that.
I have Switched out the Michelin RS (got 6500kms out of the rear) for the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II in a 180.
kind regards
Sam

·
Registered
227 Posts
I really like the Pirelli Rosso Corsa III on my bird
will mount the same on my SuperDuke after the heart transplant. The SD, not me ��

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
So pray tell what caused the transplant on the duke?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts