Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm losing my goddamn mind over this. The bike has 6000 miles on it no abuse. Here is the problem I have

- Loosen axle nut
- Left side of axle at the chain adjuster has no freeplay
- Right side moves back and fourth 1/4"
- Finger tighten the right adjuster counter-clockwise until it's snug. But then the wheel is out of alignment
- In order to loosen it, I have to turn the adjuster two revolutions where nothing is happening before it started to push the wheel forward the front of the bike. Why?
- For this right adjuster, there is 1/4" free play at the right side of the axle whether the adjuster is trying to tighten or loosen the chain.

I had it good, went for a ride and came back it was loose again.

Please help what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
269 Posts
From your description, its the r/h small adjuster screw that's loose. I've just checked mine and the r/h screw is loose on mine as well, it's not a problem.

You've adjusted your chain and aligned your wheel, tightened the axle nut (93Nm). As long as your axle nut is tight the chain will stay tensioned and the wheel will stay aligned.

The small screw may come loose with vibration but it can't go anywhere and wont effect the running of the bike.

Mines turns over 1/2 a turn before it starts to move the adjuster.

·
Registered
267 Posts
how tight are you on the rear axle nut?

should be about 93 nm or 68 ft-lbs.

i've read that the alignment should be re-checked after tightening that nut. sometimes i find that tightening it can move things just a bit. i like using one of these;

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I can't quite follow you sorry, but adjust the chain so that both adjusters pull the axle back and tighten the nut when alignment and chain slack is right. It's a bit of a fiddle but you'll work it out. Set the adjusters so that they prevent the axle from moving forward under power. I had this issue until i changed how i used the adjusters. The axle would move under hard throttle use even with the nut set at 93nm. I use straight edges to set alignment and it takes me way too long but she tracks straight with hands off the bars, the chain slack is in spec and noth'n moves or loosens for many many many miles. It's basically set and forget for a lot of riding miles. My adjusters do what you described.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my problem was not having the axle nut snug and continually forcing the wheel forward. If it's just hanging there I get the free play.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,515 Posts
Agree with ausb. Adjust both under tension/compression towards desired chain tension and tighten axle while nuts are still under tension/compression. Its not a perfect chain adjustment system for sure. Annoys me too. Might get one of the chain aligners that xxguy has.
Cheers

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's a standard axle and adjuster system..... the only easier type is the cam adjuster style. I also just measure the alignment (errr, haven't ridden mine much last year or so, and so haven't done this for a while) then wrench the axle up tight...... I do it by feel, but I tested my arm torque with a new torque wrench and it turns out my muscle torque was equal to 120Nm.

I've never ever had any axle movement...... after tightening the axle I do what the guys do, and nip up the adjusters...... nothing ever moves again until I want to adjust chain slack or pull the wheel for a new tyre.

I have to say if your wheel/axle is moving under throttle, then you have not done the job correctly. I also find it hard to follow your description, but the adjusters are for holding the axle against the pull of the motor, not to push the axle in, towards the engine.

You will do no harm torquing the main axle up to 120Nm...... I've done this on every bike I've owned..... and tyre shops have always torqued them up just as tight because they also don't want anything to move (and they are usually gorilla sized mechanics anyway). Just make sure you have all the right parts in the right places - maybe google a parts diagram to check you are not missing a component from the axle assembly or have a spacer in the wrong place etc.

Cheers and good luck. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts