Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve a 1995 CB1000FS “Big One” that needs a new chain slider, Honda part # 52170MZ1000. Tried all the places I know without success. If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately nutjob doesn’t have one. I ordered one from them only to be told they don’t have it. There will be one out there somewhere but I’ve searched all over for one without success. Actually a Blackbird’s chain slider (same as used on a CB1300F) comes close to a CB1000F’s. Thinking of trying to adapt one for the CB1000F.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks TigreST that’s really helpful. Partzilla have a good photo of the Bird’s slider (below). Looks about an inch longer than the CB1000’s slider but as you say, otherwise seems similar in x-section. I doubt whether the Bird’s slider mounting points will match with the CB1000’s swingarm but if I get desperate I may be able to adapt it?

MzA2NTQ1-2d4feec5.jpg

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I believe the hold down bolt locations are finished off what I know to be called a Riv-it nut device. These are installed similar to a pop-rivet. Drill the correct sized hole. Insert the rib-it nut with the installing tool. Squeeze the tool which flares the Riv-it nut unit. Remove the install tool. Install you bolt as need to hold the required part. The come in metric and SAE thread sizes of common thread pitches. The swing arm is hollow so I expect you could get a very good factory like install should you desire too. I have hits for both metric and SAE threaded inserts. They are not expensive as I recall.

T

edit: photo added.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
If it's long could you section it glue it back together and then use it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike’s SORN’d and off the road until spring so I’ll keep looking for a slider for a month or so. If I can’t get a CB1000F slider I’ll look at trying to fit a Blackbird slider. Rivet nuts sound a good idea but as the current one has done 55K miles I’m not adverse to using glue. Just changing the bearings at the moment.

5FAD2112-FC71-4C9B-A5DE-93AD18F0C93B.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
12,547 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve done that Duck. Don’t know why sliders are not available for some bikes? Big One is generally liked but didn’t sell in large numbers compared to ZRX1100 and XJR1200. I spoke to Lings and they were helpful and pointed me at a Honda dealer in Strasbourg. Sold his last one in June unfortunately. Maybe I’ll give CMSNL a call?

·
Super Moderator
12,547 Posts
.... Maybe I’ll give CMSNL a call?
Always worth a try, I recently managed to locate a rim for the XL (not advertised) from a supplier in the Netherlands, I say 'always worth a try' when looking for difficult parts.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I a pinch you could also use the OEM slider as a pattern and cut something similar out of thick rubber stock of some sort. Better yet might be to do the same but use a nylon/Delrin material instead of rubber. This will protect the swingarm from being beating up by the chain as per OEM. I'd be real tempted to just purchase the XX slider or one from any other Honda of like fit, and add the riv-nuts for the factory finish. Of course new parts are the best bet...but what about your local bike wreaking yard? Any chance of a low use replacement piece for the salvage yard?

Riv-nut photo added above, btw.

T.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I'm finding it very strange to find these chain sliders are so difficult to find especially since I recently managed to buy an OE one for my 1987 XL600LM, a far less common bike.
I'm really struggling with this one ......
Well for one, off road bikes have a much higher demand than street bikes for chain sliders, in fact street ones are practically non existent,can't remember the last time I sold one. And the CB1000F wasn't the worlds most popular by bike, not sure how long it was in production for the UK (4or 5 yrs), but it was 2 years here. And it's just plain old.You may have just gotten lucky with the XL.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Yes, me too, but parts are supply and demand . I'm with Tigger on this one, maybe adapt another one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks TigreST that’s really helpful. Partzilla have a good photo of the Bird’s slider (below). Looks about an inch longer than the CB1000’s slider but as you say, otherwise seems similar in x-section. I doubt whether the Bird’s slider mounting points will match with the CB1000’s swingarm but if I get desperate I may be able to adapt it?
I was looking about online today and found these guys had the exploded view diagrams.
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1997-honda-super-blackbird-cbr1100xx/o/m151454#sch14359

Remembering seeing this post I input your 95/1000 to see what they showed.
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1995-honda-cb1000/o/m1939#sch10781

They have the Bird one (P/N: 52170-MAT-000) listed as available but unfortunately not the 95/1000.
You can however see how Similar/Dissimilar they may be.
Silders.JPG
As you suspected, it seems to me that the locating nibs on the underside are different, but more disappointing is the contour does seem to be different. :think:
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Appreciate your post Sparkie84. A 52170-MEJ-000, a slider for a CB1300F, is on the way. I don’t know how good a fit it will be but I’m hoping I can do something with it. If not it’ll be on eBay.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A lot of swingarms on Ebay have sliders fitted to them.
I don't know how much a new slider is, but you could get a swingarm for about £25, take the slider off and resell the swingarm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts