1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys
as i wrote earlier im planning to change to vfr bars
these are sold without the damper weights included
i have tried to see how i can remove my xx weights to transter them over to the vfr bar ( same diameter and length )
but for the life of me i cannot understand how to pull them out
i have removed the rusty bar end circlip and the will twiddle around freely but will not pull out
i am guessing that further in they are pinned or swaged in?
reg
paul

·
Registered
149 Posts
G'day cbrpaul...... My 05BB bar end weights are held in by a cross tip screw..... I just use a big screwdriver and they undo and slip off. I'm not sure what was used on the early models. The only circlips on my bars (oem or the 2"Helibars) are the ones on the fork tops.

:thumb:

·
Registered
3,996 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
super thanks for pics
i removed the end clip as per the pic ( very rusted ) but the blasted thing will still not come out
i guess i ll just get a friend to turn me a set of weights
anyone have the dimensions?
reg
paul

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
You can try soaking the vibe dampers (inserts) with your fav penetrating oil. My fav at the moment is the one made under the "Sea Foam" brand. Others report good results with "PB Blaster" I believe. If you soak them and then use a slide hammer unit you can perhaps budge them. I could be that with the corrosion that the unit is now under a partial vacuum which is holding them in the bar.

I believe the OEM bar end weights is still available according to partzilla..for about $10.40 (MSRP is $14.25ea) part # 53105-KT8-010 The mounting screws are $3.60 (MSRP 4.29ea) part# 90191-KBG-000 .

The control switch blocks use a indexing hole on the bar to help locate the switch assembles to the bar. Try spraying your penetrating oil in those holes for you soak process. A bit of heat may help also...be careful with the application of heat.

Good luck.

T.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You can try soaking the vibe dampers (inserts) with your fav penetrating oil. If you soak them and then use a slide hammer unit you can perhaps budge them. I could be that with the corrosion that the unit is now under a partial vacuum which is holding them in the bar.
This ^^ when I changed from std bars to VFR bars years ago I had a hell of a time getting the bar weights out, had to squirt a lot of lube down them and let them sit and then a lot of pulling with an old bar end in a vice :huh:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well guys just found a set in germany for 60 euro inc weights
ill let you know how i get on
paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts