Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a quick question about the cam chain tensioner (lifter set). I bought a new set to replace the old one. The set comes with a stopper tool in the tensioner that you pull out once installed. My question is regards to the old CCT that I am removing. The instructions in the service manual say that I have to insert a stopper tool into the CCT before removing it to avoid damaging the chain. I don't have an extra stopper tool (from now on will keep the tool after installing the new set) and I was wondering if this is really necessary. I know there are a lot of fellow riders here that have replaced their CCT and would like to hear what others have done. Have you removed your old CCT without inserting the stopper tool? I could have a new tool made somehow, but hoping it might be unnecessary.

Please see the attachments below. They are screen shots from the service manual.

Thank you very much in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
The tensioner can be wound with a small screwdriver (which you then have to hold against the spring tension) so you don't need another stopper tool.

In reality you don't actually need to take it that far, just release the tension on the cam chain by unscrewing the two bolts equally (do it in several stages) ..... if you remove one and then the other the tensioner will be pushed out at an angle and theoretically could jam.

Have 'fun' removing the old gasket always the worst part of the job!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot! So I basically just need to unscrew both bolts slowly and I'll be fine. Out of curiosity, how do I wind it with a screwdriver? Do I hold the screwdriver into the opening where the key would go?

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
Yes and yes!

Chances are that the tension on the spring will push the old tensioner away from the engine block as you undo the bolts but if it doesn't (those gaskets sometimes stick really well) give the old tensioner a gentle tap so that it does come out as you undo the bolts - saves the 'snatch' on the chain if the tension is suddenly released.

It is always worth holding onto the key for future use but if you loose it a screwdriver is a preferred option.

Reactions: elvetost
1 - 6 of 6 Posts